Anyone able to suggest a good Compression Tester?

Have a question about your motor? All motor talk and questions go here.
Rags2Fishes

Re: Anyone able to suggest a good Compression Tester?

Post by Rags2Fishes » 05 Sep 2018, 20:35

Weldorthemagnificent wrote:Mr Giggles had a good point. The schrader (tire type) valve being right on the part that screws into the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you know if the OTC 5606 Kit has the Shrader valve on the part that screws into the motor? I couldn't tell by the photos. Thank you!
Rags2Fishes

Finger Lakes, NY

Xtremeboats
Weldorthemagnificent

Post by Weldorthemagnificent » 05 Sep 2018, 21:04

That’s a nice kit. This is mine. You can see the valve at the end of the hose. It’s a budget kit but has served me well for about 15 years. ImageImage
https://www.amazon.com/Innova-3612-Comp ... B000EVU89I

Rags2Fishes

Post by Rags2Fishes » 05 Sep 2018, 21:40

Weldorthemagnificent wrote:That’s a nice kit. This is mine. You can see the valve at the end of the hose. It’s a budget kit but has served me well for about 15 years. ImageImage
https://www.amazon.com/Innova-3612-Comp ... B000EVU89I

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to post!
Rags2Fishes

Finger Lakes, NY

Pappy
Donor

Post by Pappy » 05 Sep 2018, 21:47

Call OTC and ask. I would imagine they still do. Mine is ancient and still in perfect working condition. Have gone through a few Shrader valves when I forget to let the pressure off slowly but that is what they are there for...to replace if need be.

Rags2Fishes

Post by Rags2Fishes » 06 Sep 2018, 13:19

Pappy wrote:Call OTC and ask. I would imagine they still do. Mine is ancient and still in perfect working condition. Have gone through a few Shrader valves when I forget to let the pressure off slowly but that is what they are there for...to replace if need be.
Thank you, I'll call an ask. I would like to use a link to help this site as I buy a lot from Amazon. I'll be buying new Spark Plugs, extra Shrader Valve inserts, etc. Thanks again...
Rags2Fishes

Finger Lakes, NY

Rags2Fishes

Post by Rags2Fishes » 06 Sep 2018, 13:40

According to OTC Tech at Customer Service I was told the Shrader Valve isn't necessary for Compression testing. The Tech said even when using the extension I will get a good reading. I imagine because of turning over the motor 5 times or so? I'm not sure but the 5606 Tester Kit is a mid-line tester that has most Gasoline adapters. Any thoughts before I make my purchase?
Rags2Fishes

Finger Lakes, NY

MrGiggles

Post by MrGiggles » 06 Sep 2018, 19:48

Rags2Fishes wrote:According to OTC Tech at Customer Service I was told the Shrader Valve isn't necessary for Compression testing. The Tech said even when using the extension I will get a good reading. I imagine because of turning over the motor 5 times or so? I'm not sure but the 5606 Tester Kit is a mid-line tester that has most Gasoline adapters. Any thoughts before I make my purchase?
He's full of crap.

Without the valve the needle just bounces up and down as cylinder pressure oscillates. Yes, you can decipher a reading, but it works much better with the valve.

Rags2Fishes

Post by Rags2Fishes » 06 Sep 2018, 19:53

MrGiggles wrote:
Rags2Fishes wrote:According to OTC Tech at Customer Service I was told the Shrader Valve isn't necessary for Compression testing. The Tech said even when using the extension I will get a good reading. I imagine because of turning over the motor 5 times or so? I'm not sure but the 5606 Tester Kit is a mid-line tester that has most Gasoline adapters. Any thoughts before I make my purchase?
He's full of crap.

Without the valve the needle just bounces up and down as cylinder pressure oscillates. Yes, you can decipher a reading, but it works much better with the valve.
I wish I could tell by the photos. Does anyone have the OTC 5606 that can verify if there is a Shrader Valve at the tip? What your sharing makes sense. OTC has a good rating by a lot of people. :-k
Rags2Fishes

Finger Lakes, NY

MrGiggles

Post by MrGiggles » 06 Sep 2018, 22:31

Rags2Fishes wrote:
MrGiggles wrote:
He's full of crap.

I wish I could tell by the photos. Does anyone have the OTC 5606 that can verify if there is a Shrader Valve at the tip? What your sharing makes sense. OTC has a good rating by a lot of people. :-k
From what I have seen, gauges that have a quick coupler usually have the valve right behind it, essentially in the middle of the hose.

KMixson

Post by KMixson » 07 Sep 2018, 04:19

I believe you are over thinking this too much. An OTC 5606 would be a quality gauge. It is designed to measure compression. It will measure compression. The schrader valve or some other form of check valve is there keep the needle stabilized while cranking over the engine. If it does not have a schrader valve the intake stroke would pull the needle back down every time making it hard to get a good compression reading.

Rags2Fishes

Post by Rags2Fishes » 07 Sep 2018, 17:25

KMixson wrote:I believe you are over thinking this too much. An OTC 5606 would be a quality gauge. It is designed to measure compression. It will measure compression. The schrader valve or some other form of check valve is there keep the needle stabilized while cranking over the engine. If it does not have a schrader valve the intake stroke would pull the needle back down every time making it hard to get a good compression reading.
Thank you. I appreciate all replies. I don't believe I was overthinking this because I simply didn't have any experience with a Compression Tester and a reply here said to be sure it has a Shrader Valve. I had no idea if the one I was looking at did. I took the advice above and called OTC and was told I didn't need it. However, as mentioned above and your reply, it is obvious the Shrader Valve should be there to avoid the fluctuation of the needle. I ordered the next one up from the OTC 5606 that comes with more adapters so I'll be all set now. I was only trying to confirm there was a Shrader Valve and unfortunately, the online photos and OTC Tech didn't help. Again, I appreciate all replies as I now ordered what I was looking for thanks to the help here! :D
Rags2Fishes

Finger Lakes, NY

DaleH
Donor

Post by DaleH » 07 Sep 2018, 20:17

I may be wrong, but ‘Schrader valve or no Schrader valve‘, one with a button to release the pressure will hold the reading. I’ve been compression testing OBs using a Craftsman model for 40+ years now and I never even gave it one thought about whether or not it has a Schrader valve or not ... in fact, I’m not even going to go bother looking at it.

I’ve also only seen one bad gauge in my life ... no small surprise that Haba Freight sold it ...
#1) 1st tin rebuild, 18' Lund http://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36583
#2) 25' Parker refurb from EMPTY hull http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB3/vie ... p?f=15&t=6
#3) 16' V-tin rebuild http://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36465
#4 Procraft SV14
#5) 16' Starcraft entirely NEW Transom Skins http://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37548

Rags2Fishes

Post by Rags2Fishes » 07 Sep 2018, 20:35

DaleH wrote:I may be wrong, but ‘Schrader valve or no Schrader valve‘, one with a button to release the pressure will hold the reading. I’ve been compression testing OBs using a Craftsman model for 40+ years now and I never even gave it one thought about whether or not it has a Schrader valve or not ... in fact, I’m not even going to go bother looking at it.

I’ve also only seen one bad gauge in my life ... no small surprise that Haba Freight sold it ...

Thank you DaleH, I appreciate the reply. I ask where I need to learn and will gladly share when I'm able. I have MANY tools, but never bought a Compression Tester so asked some questions and took suggestions. I learned right away H. Freight had many bad reviews so knew I needed to look elsewhere. I believe the OTC will serve me well. With past measurement tools, I learned to always use the same tool to compare readings before and after. There are too many variations using different tools for the same Job. That isn't to say that there isn't a "better" tool but I'm happy landing somewhere in the middle. :D
Rags2Fishes

Finger Lakes, NY