It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 04:07
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

AirboatCoatings

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: '17 1860 Alumacraft
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2016, 16:21 

just picked up the pipe, fencing, & fittings to build the duckblind frame...update to come

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 11:32 

Very nice build!

Bass Tracker Panfish
Old 14ft V bottom something (soon to be a flounder boat)

If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Post subject: Re: '17 1860 Alumacraft
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 12:30 

Love your build, I'm getting an 18x60 made by a local company late winter early spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 10:46 

here's the blind:

the blind is supported on each side by one 2x4. i drilled a 7/8 hole & cut an 8' 2x4 in half across that hole, so that 1 end of each 2x4 support leg has a rounded notch for the blind frame to sit on. I then chopped another little bit off the flat end of each 2x4 til the height was right at the water line with my 4' high landscape fencing. the end result is a notch in the 2x4 for the blind frame to sit on, it's plenty sturdy to run down the river with the blind up. i propped it up temporarily this way to hang the grass, but it was so strong, i opted to use it for the full time support & it has worked great after a week of hunting every morning. super quick to deploy/stow the blind.

the conduit is 3/4" EMT (electrical aisle @ Lowes), and I sleeved the long sections with 1/2" EMT inside for strength, but also because EMT only comes in 10' lengths & i needed longer. i bent my 4 curved sections, then the curve toward the bow to match the contour of the boat. initially, i left the frame as a slip fit, so the 1/2" & 3/4" emt were not attached to each other, making quick disassembly of the blind, but it proved to be less sturdy that way, the joint flexed a lot so i pop riveted them together for strength.

the grass material is "raffia" & it's the Avery Killerweed brand. the Avery description says 1 box covers an 18' boat. YEA RIGHT! i used 5-6 boxes... attaching the raffia is way more tedious than fast grass, but i like the end result & i think it is more durable. it's also way less snaggy than the fast grass when i am driving up narrow creeks with brush sticking out. plus everyone uses fast grass so i like that it looks a little different than the rest of the boats around.

the bow & stern are covered by old camo netting from the army/navy store. i ziptied some raffia to those front/rear flaps as well so it would blend better with the rest of the blind. it's really quick to cover & uncover the boat. i'm pleased

here you can see the support system for this scissor style blind is a highly advanced 2x4 just sitting there :mrgreen:

i was very surprised with the blind support being just the one 2x4 on each side, but it holds up great even running down the river at 30mph with the blind up over choppy water. obviously in big chop or if a huge wake is coming i'll lay it down, but if i am just going to chase a cripple, or a decoy caught in the current, the blind stays up.

the cross bar in the rear is attached to the t-rail using extrusion nuts just like the cleats & bimini hardware for the fittings, the bimini hardware is 7/8" but the EMT is 7/8 inner diameter, so they have to be enlarged slightly (a millimeter or 2) with a dremel to fit the larger outer diameter of the EMT.

on my 1546 blind, I used bimini fittings here for the scissor actuation, but they broke really quick, so this time i just drilled & thru-bolted, cost way less & far more durable.

takes a good 20 minutes to roll it up this well, but this is how i roll it up before i go fishing. between duck hunts though, i just lower the blind & let the frame sandwich the grass, plenty good for highway travel, but that method eats up some interior room & deck space so that is why i roll it up all nice & tight with bungees before fishing:

the rocket launcher rod holders actually hold a shotgun real nice, had a few people snapping pictures the other day when we had 2 guns like that (open chambers, empty mag tubes of course)...curious how the game warden will feel about it, ain't seen him yet! lol

Last edited by chevyrulz on 01 Dec 2016, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 13:57 

As an avid duck hunter, who has built my boats with this as a primary purpose, I always love seeing blind ideas. Thanks for posting, it looks like it will do well to kill birds! Good luck!

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 15:17 

thanks, only shot a couple wood ducks & a few mergansers during opening week. missed plenty more, including a group of gadwall. season re-opens 12/10 & I am doing a lottery hunt in flooded timber that day so we should get on em there, hopefully there's more birds around for 2nd season! :mrgreen:

Post subject: 1860 alumacraft
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2016, 10:27 

already growing tired of holding the spotlight & thinking integrated LED driving light like i did on the 1546...on that rig, i had used the 9" Kohree dual stack, but for this 1860, their 15" dual stack would fit:

BUT, i am thinking it would be way better, if the MAN who welded the leaning post would make some brackets to mount the lights below the deck, that way it's not in the way of feet stepping on/off the bow, or fly line on the deck...below deck also promotes night vision as the above deck does hit some of the nose which kills night vision slightly...so maybe 2 of these dual row spot lights firing forward to illuminate the channel:

& 2 of these combo flood/spot lights firing left/right to illuminate the river banks:

thoughts, pictures, suggestions welcomed...i am envisioning something like the war eagle / G3 setup they call a "duck bill" with light bracket welded onto the boat & a cage in front of it to protect the light

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 07:52 

Awesome boat bro!

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 08:18 

How's the floor drain in that thing? Dump into the transom area?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2016, 12:52 

Thanks!
LeftCoastAngler wrote:
How's the floor drain in that thing? Dump into the transom area?
yep, there's 2 semi-circular cutouts in the rear bench on the floor facing the center console under the leaning post that let water from the cockpit flow under the deck into the bilge area by the transom where the bilge pump is mounted:

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2016, 00:40 

Dude.... Very very nice.... Love the Bluetooth stereo setup

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2016, 11:35 

thank you, the XS-65i Wetsounds speakers with Kenwood KAC-M1824BT amp work great. It's pushing 45w RMS per channel @ 4ohms & the speakers are rated for 60w RMS each @ 4ohms. I can hear music well even at 35mph. It has good bass for a system without a subwoofer. I like the controller that comes with the amp, it lets me pause, pair a new device, skip songs, & adjust volume. The last bluetooth stereo I did had no controller like that so the only choice for those tasks was the phone. It's neat having both options with this Kenwood setup.

i broke the transducer mount the other day in my wood duck creek, tons of trees down from the hurricane, not even sure when i snapped it. i emailed Simrad & hope they can help me figure out where to buy one, i think this is what i need, but it's $40 & I'm not 100% sure:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Lowrance-Tra ... P4130.aspx

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2016, 17:34 

VeryKewl.
BassProShopsTampas like 10min from my house.... I was up there this past weekend checkin out their Tracker1860cc...... It only had a 40 on it tho, Is want at least a 60

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2016, 17:36 

That leanin post drives me nutz. I gotta have one too...

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2016, 15:03 

NICE, Steve @ Simrad tech support is sending me a new transducer bracket free of charge! =D> found it on Amazon too for $25 (Lowrance part# 000-10262-001)

yea LeftCoast, 40 is waaay under powered. this hull definitely begs for 90+, but that costs draft & i need to get shallow when it comes to chasing redfish in the grass, or going up the back creeks for redfish/ducks. right now she can float in 6" or less depending on the load, i have dragged the boat down a creek that only had 3-4" of water. i can motor in ~10" of water. that is the only reason i don't have a 115 on her.

may end up hot rodding the 60 here soon, i already got the gasket kit & the torque wrench so i can shave the head to up the compression slightly. if i also open up the exhaust & re-jet, i can get around 75hp out of it without hurting reliability & be able to still run on 87 octane pump gas.

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next