paint stripper

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
tadpole86

paint stripper

Post by tadpole86 » 27 Feb 2011, 21:35

So today I was attempting to strip the paint off my boat to get it down bare aluminum. It has 3 coats of paint, one possibly being the original because it is a bear to get off. Any suggestions on a paint stripper that will rip through the paint with relative ease?

RazorBaits
LonLB

paint stripper

Post by LonLB » 27 Feb 2011, 22:12

I just used Klean Strip Stripper from walmart. I've got all the paint off of the boat except on the bottom.

Some things I've learned:

The warmer the better. This is the most important thing. The stuff just doesn't work nearly as well when cold.

Be liberal when you brush it on. I had to be careful to not slop it everywhere when brushing it on.

Let it sit for plenty of time. I found it's better to work on a couple different things at once, and just let the stripper sit on for awhile. 1/2 at least.

Sometimes you will get better results when adding a second slathering before taking off the paint.

Finally, tied for the most important thing is to forget the scraper and get a stiff stainless wire brush. I tried using one in a drill, and to be honest I think the hand brush works better, and is less messy.

I never could get all the way to aluminum everywhere with one coat. The factory zinc coating was particularly tough.

Brine

paint stripper

Post by Brine » 27 Feb 2011, 22:14

I've seen guys put saran wrap over it once applied to keep it wet for a longer period of time.

tadpole86

paint stripper

Post by tadpole86 » 28 Feb 2011, 22:22

I am trying to get the paint off the bottom so I can patch the couple holes and have a clean surface to put some bed liner type stuff to make it more durable. I want to do this because the aluminum is a little weak in some areas and I do not want to continuously patch holes.

fireshadow

paint stripper

Post by fireshadow » 01 Mar 2011, 01:00

Aircraft Stripper is the best one I used. And I tried three different types. Plus one one hand wire brush green abrasive pads work great too.

tadpole86

paint stripper

Post by tadpole86 » 02 Mar 2011, 12:57

fireshadow wrote:Aircraft Stripper is the best one I used. And I tried three different types. Plus one one hand wire brush green abrasive pads work great too.
Are you referring to the rustoleum aircraft stripper?

fender66

paint stripper

Post by fender66 » 02 Mar 2011, 13:41

fireshadow wrote:Aircraft Stripper is the best one I used. And I tried three different types. Plus one one hand wire brush green abrasive pads work great too.
+1 and I don't think the product I used was a rustoleum brand, but I'm not sure. I bought it at West Marine though and it was the best stuff I've run across.
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink: