New member, first tin boat

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
gunny146

Post by gunny146 » 11 Nov 2009, 22:37

give me hollar if you get ready to hit Sinclair or Oconee. can't wait to see how the boat turns out.
3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.

RazorBaits
Hydrilla

Post by Hydrilla » 11 Nov 2009, 22:50

Man, I'm jealous! What a great start! Congrats and welcome 8)

Doug

Post by Doug » 12 Nov 2009, 01:21

:WELCOME: Aboard. Looks like a great first tin boat to start modding to your spec's.

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » 12 Nov 2009, 02:00

Jeez, your whole boat project dissapeard from my mind when I saw that drawing you did.
Amazing.
Are you giving lessons? :wink:

Is that program you are using a free download? Maybe an old Fart can still learn something new with a program like that :P

AlumaDude

Post by AlumaDude » 12 Nov 2009, 03:50

That deal is UNBELIEVABLE!!! SERIOUSLY... What did you pay? That is Freakin SWEET. And yes I HAVE seen the Simpsons episode where he builds the grill... Best part? When he Freaks out And JAMS the UMBRELLA in with a WAR CRY! Was that before or after he cries while exclaiming "Why doesn't mine look like that?" while looking at the box? HA HA HA! GOOD TIMES!!! BEST of Luck, Mon Ark made a GOOD product. What size outboard is in the pile?
'77 LoweLine 14 Sport V--->Sold :(
(powered by)
'71 Johnson 6hp--->Sold :(

Towed behind:
2018 Nissan Frontier, crew cab, 4.0 , 6mt (new acquisition)

CRAPPIE_SLAYER

Post by CRAPPIE_SLAYER » 12 Nov 2009, 08:21

Nice lookin' boat. I like the layout that you have planned for it.

DownSouthGaBoy

Post by DownSouthGaBoy » 12 Nov 2009, 08:57

Thudpucker, actually the funny thing is that the program is free. If you have Windows on your PC then you already have it. I just used Microsoft Paint and spent about an hour drawing. I had everything pictured in my mind exactly how I wanted it, so I just had to draw it. Filling in everything took the longest part of the hour.

AlumaDude, the motor is an '81 mercury 4.5hp shortshaft. Its a great little motor I got with my very first boat, which was a little too small for my taste (a fiberglass 12 ft V hull). But I'm afraid it won't push my aluminum jon upstream on the Savannah river. I like lake and pond fishing but I got an aluminum because I wanted to go set lines on the river too, and I dare not hit the river in a glass boat. So I'm looking for a 15-25 horse that I can put on the aluminum.

And yes, I concede that it was my deal of the century. A few days after I got the boat, it rained for a whole week and the boat literally filled up with water. When the rain stopped I went out to see if there were any leaks and there weren't any droplets coming from anywhere ! For $250 I was sure I'd have to rebuck a few rivets, or seal some seams, or maybe discover a crack somewhere, but I never did.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, I just hope I can hold off on my impatience and move slowly on the construction so the finished product looks even better than the picture.

I'll keep everyone posted...
.....yeah that is funny man, but seriously.... put the gun down.

Hydrilla

Post by Hydrilla » 13 Nov 2009, 09:03

Good use of MS Paint, I do the same thing. I have access to Photoshop as well as some CAD drawing type programs, but it's a jon boat for cripes sake :mrgreen: Just wouldn't seem right to get that fancy, lol. Good looking layout, I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » 13 Nov 2009, 10:18

I think I'm somewhat impoverished or emotionally crippled when it comes to those drawing programs. :mrgreen:

I down loaded something and got the tutorial and still couldn't wade through it. :cry:

I'll just look....

Hydrilla

Post by Hydrilla » 13 Nov 2009, 11:13

That's why paint is so good for this, it's like using an Etch-a-Sketch
:-)
thudpucker wrote:I think I'm somewhat impoverished or emotionally crippled when it comes to those drawing programs. :mrgreen:

I down loaded something and got the tutorial and still couldn't wade through it. :cry:

I'll just look....

forced2workborn2fish

Post by forced2workborn2fish » 13 Nov 2009, 21:10

good start can't wait to see how it turns out

DownSouthGaBoy

Post by DownSouthGaBoy » 16 Nov 2009, 08:42

Hoping to get out today and get some work done on the boat. Will post pictures once I make some progress.

AlumaDude

Post by AlumaDude » 16 Nov 2009, 22:50

Ha Ha Ha!!! So I'm NOT the only person to ever fill up they're boat with rain water! I found out the same way that MY boat was LEAK FREE. It only took a half an hour to bucket out the water to the point where I could tip the boat "bow up" and drain the rest out the back!!! MAN... I'm a retard... And to think it was on the trailer too.... Glad that didn't collapse...
'77 LoweLine 14 Sport V--->Sold :(
(powered by)
'71 Johnson 6hp--->Sold :(

Towed behind:
2018 Nissan Frontier, crew cab, 4.0 , 6mt (new acquisition)

DownSouthGaBoy

Post by DownSouthGaBoy » 17 Nov 2009, 10:45

Mine was on the trailer too. I guess that means we know our trailers are pretty stout and don't have to worry about them falling apart ! I didn't have the tongue jack on at the time and the tongue was on the concrete so i just jacked it up with a car jack and pulled the plug. It also helped to get all the crud out of the bottom the previous owner let build up. I think it took about an hour to drain all the water out. I'm glad I'm not alone on that one. I kinda felt retarded too !

danmyersmn

Post by danmyersmn » 17 Nov 2009, 12:11

DownSouthGaBoy wrote:Mine was on the trailer too. I guess that means we know our trailers are pretty stout and don't have to worry about them falling apart ! I didn't have the tongue jack on at the time and the tongue was on the concrete so i just jacked it up with a car jack and pulled the plug. It also helped to get all the crud out of the bottom the previous owner let build up. I think it took about an hour to drain all the water out. I'm glad I'm not alone on that one. I kinda felt retarded too !
The last time I went out fishing my bud showed up at my house with water coming out of the drain plug. The boat had filled up to around 2" below the top of the seats on a mod-v 14'. We drained water all the way to launch and still had water left under the deck. I am guessing gas mileage wasn't so great on that trip ;)
LEFT is right! The reel handle is properly oriented when it is on the left side.