Has anyone ran the 4S SS impeller in a 2S

mphelle

Post by mphelle » 16 Apr 2017, 10:07

redrum, I enlarged your photo to show that the leading and trailing edge of each vane are almost directly across from each other, just like the 2s. On the 4s, the trailing edge has been cut way back to allow it to spin easier. I believe you have an original quicksilver 2s casting which is why your rpm did not increase on your test.
Attachments
impeller2.jpg
impeller2.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 1726 times

Lil' Blue Rude

Post by Lil' Blue Rude » 16 Apr 2017, 11:51

mphelle wrote:redrum, I enlarged your photo to show that the leading and trailing edge of each vane are almost directly across from each other, just like the 2s. On the 4s, the trailing edge has been cut way back to allow it to spin easier. I believe you have an original quicksilver 2s casting which is why your rpm did not increase on your test.
This impeller is a 4s. Trying to compare rpms between a worn aluminum and a new stainless is kind of a apple and orange comparison. The worn aluminum will turn more rpms then it would stock because it's not getting the same bite since the leading edge is has been file back from repeated sharpening. So stock for stock the 4s stainless might have turned as many rpm if not more then a new aluminum.
16' 42" Blazer SS with a custom short shaft 60/40 Evinrude

mphelle

Post by mphelle » 16 Apr 2017, 12:23

Lil' Blue Rude wrote:
mphelle wrote:redrum, I enlarged your photo to show that the leading and trailing edge of each vane are almost directly across from each other, just like the 2s. On the 4s, the trailing edge has been cut way back to allow it to spin easier. I believe you have an original quicksilver 2s casting which is why your rpm did not increase on your test.
This impeller is a 4s. Trying to compare rpms between a worn aluminum and a new stainless is kind of a apple and orange comparison. The worn aluminum will turn more rpms then it would stock because it's not getting the same bite since the leading edge is has been file back from repeated sharpening. So stock for stock the 4s stainless might have turned as many rpm if not more then a new aluminum.
What information are you using to identify redrum's impeller as a 4s?

LarryMc

Post by LarryMc » 16 Apr 2017, 12:54

Another photo of the 4s & 2S impellers side by side, 2S on right. It's seems apparent to me that the impeller shown in the photo that redrum posted is a 4S impeller.
Attachments
4Sand2s.JPG
2011 Lowe Roughneck 1655CC - 2008 Mercury 2 Stroke 90/65 (Converted from prop 90)

mphelle

Post by mphelle » 16 Apr 2017, 13:52

Well, you can't have too many photos, (hopefully you aren't going by the finish that quicksilver uses), with your trailing edges fairly lined up, the respective leading edge of the 4s hasn't "rotated" into the picture. Gives you a feel for how much trailing edge was removed.

If you could get a photo of your 4s in the same orientation of his below, we could wrap up this post.
Attachments
impeller3.jpg
impeller3.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 1708 times

Lil' Blue Rude

Post by Lil' Blue Rude » 16 Apr 2017, 16:23

This is what I'm basing my conclusion on. Look at the distance marked by the red line and compare it to the pics of LarryMC's pics. It's a 4S impeller. I've seen the 4S impellers in a number of different finishes including freshly ground like they'd just finished grinding a 2S down :cry: .
Attachments
IMG_9636.JPG
IMG_9636.JPG (45.48 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
16' 42" Blazer SS with a custom short shaft 60/40 Evinrude

LarryMc

Post by LarryMc » 16 Apr 2017, 18:24

mphelle wrote:Well, you can't have too many photos, (hopefully you aren't going by the finish that quicksilver uses), with your trailing edges fairly lined up, the respective leading edge of the 4s hasn't "rotated" into the picture. Gives you a feel for how much trailing edge was removed.

If you could get a photo of your 4s in the same orientation of his below, we could wrap up this post.
I can't get a photo in the same orientation without pulling the foot off my motor and taking the 4S impeller off the shaft and I'm not inclined to do that solely to settle an argument. Lil' Blue Rude's post above should be enough to convince anyone that redrum has a 4S impeller.

If redrum wants to go to the trouble to do it, a sure way to determine if he has a 4S impeller is to drop the impeller down into the liner and measure the distance down from the top of the liner to where the trailing edge touches the inside of the liner. A 2S impeller's trailing edges will be almost even with the top of the liner. A 4S impeller's trailing edges will touch the inside of the liner approximately 1" down from the top of the liner.
Last edited by LarryMc on 17 Apr 2017, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Lowe Roughneck 1655CC - 2008 Mercury 2 Stroke 90/65 (Converted from prop 90)

mphelle

Post by mphelle » 16 Apr 2017, 23:18

Really didn't see an argument here, just gathering information that might help someone on the forum. I frequent many forums and don't think I've ever had to ask for help for myself, just try to get people back on the road or water. I even spent some time looking for your 90/65. Anyway, good info on measuring the impellers in the liner, had no idea they would have such a difference in height.

LarryMc

Post by LarryMc » 17 Apr 2017, 08:13

mphelle wrote:Really didn't see an argument here, just gathering information that might help someone on the forum. I frequent many forums and don't think I've ever had to ask for help for myself, just try to get people back on the road or water. I even spent some time looking for your 90/65. Anyway, good info on measuring the impellers in the liner, had no idea they would have such a difference in height.
My apologies for the argument comment, Apparently, I misinterpreted your previous post.

handyandy

Post by handyandy » 18 Apr 2017, 09:57

Larry is right about redrum's impeller it's a 4s one. Rude is probably right as well in that he would be fine running it. I now have larry's old 2s impeller he sold it to me. I can take more pics of it if someone would like as it isn't in my motor yet. Have to say thanks to larry for selling it to me. Said it was like new along with the liner he sold to me with it, and he wasn't lying looks like it wasn't even run at all, and he shipped it out quick. Wish mercury/quicksilver changed the part number when they changed the design and still offered both styles of impellers. I'm sure it would be more money than it's worth, but I wonder what it would cost to have a batch of 2s impellers made.

redrum

Post by redrum » 18 Apr 2017, 10:49

Post some pics. That would always help. I'll try to do some measuring like Larry described.
1860 SeaArk MV Mercury 60/40 Jet
1648 Tracker Grizzly Mercury 60/45 Jet
1648 MonArk 50/35 Evinrude Jet
1444 Polarkraft 50/35 Evinrude Jet (Stick Steer)

mphelle

Post by mphelle » 18 Apr 2017, 11:46

Wow Andy, you really showed some patience on that one, you've been looking for that impeller for a long time. It will interesting to see your results. If you wouldn't mind taking a photo like redrum I'll add it to my collection.
impeller3.jpg
impeller3.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
I'll shuffle alongside the bandwagon until I see the same photo of the cutback quicksilver 4s.

LarryMc

Post by LarryMc » 18 Apr 2017, 12:44

handyandy wrote: I'm sure it would be more money than it's worth, but I wonder what it would cost to have a batch of 2s impellers made.
A heck of a lot more than buying an aluminum 2S impeller from outboard jets. Image

handyandy

Post by handyandy » 20 Apr 2017, 08:48

LarryMc wrote:
handyandy wrote: I'm sure it would be more money than it's worth, but I wonder what it would cost to have a batch of 2s impellers made.
A heck of a lot more than buying an aluminum 2S impeller from outboard jets. Image
True but typically the stainless 2s impellers were good for a little more speed than the aluminums and last longer. Thanks for selling me yours and giving me a fair price I appreciate it. Larry is real stand up guy to deal with. Any dealers or anyone else with 2s stainless impeller that I could find was trying to gouge me for more than what a brand new 4s one cost, which I wasn't willing to give. I'll try to remember to take some more pictures of the 2s one this evening. I got a another 2s stainless one that was real cheap but it was pretty well wore out. I've used my tig welder to weld a bead along the outside edge and leading edge of the impeller to build it back up I still need to grind and file it all smooth to fit in the liner right it will be a lot of work. Basically I'm trying to refurbish the old wore out one like how it's done with inboard jet pump impellers. The impeller I'm doing it on was cheap enough and wore out enough I don't really care if it works out well or not. We'll see how it works out will be a little while before I can finish it lot of other crap keeps getting in the way that needs to get worked on more so than a impeller experiment.

handyandy

Post by handyandy » 24 Apr 2017, 08:44

finally remembered to snap some pictures of 2s impeller hope it helps
Attachments
IMG_1733.JPG
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1731.JPG
IMG_1730.JPG