It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 04:26
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

VinylImagesInc

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Mercury 4 stroke 115/80
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 21:51 

Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 21:02
Posts: 159
Anybody here running a Merc 4 stroke 115/80 jet? What year? What size boat? What gauge boat? What kind of speeds you get? Thanks in advance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Mercury 4 stroke 115/80
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2016, 06:46 

Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 19:34
Posts: 4
My buddy has a 2015 115/80 Merc on a 2015 Lowe Roughneck side console. It runs 31-32 with one person, or two, or three. Seems like it'll run that speed no matter the weight. The day we had 3 people I'm about 220, one guy is around 260, and the guy that owns the boat is only about 140. We had 4 large tackle boxes full of musky plugs, and 3 rods each. Still ran 32 ha.


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2016, 22:32 

Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 21:02
Posts: 159
Flownorth wrote:
My buddy has a 2015 115/80 Merc on a 2015 Lowe Roughneck side console. It runs 31-32 with one person, or two, or three. Seems like it'll run that speed no matter the weight. The day we had 3 people I'm about 220, one guy is around 260, and the guy that owns the boat is only about 140. We had 4 large tackle boxes full of musky plugs, and 3 rods each. Still ran 32 ha.
Thanks for the info. I thinking bout getting new setup with this motor. Was hoping to hear someone say in the low to mid 40's


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Mercury 4 stroke 115/80
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2016, 22:34 

Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 19:34
Posts: 4
Not sure what kind of boat you have, his is pretty heavy.


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2016, 12:19 

Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 21:02
Posts: 159
Flownorth wrote:
Not sure what kind of boat you have, his is pretty heavy.
just sold a 2015 blazer flat bottom with 60/40. It would go 34 by myself. It an .80 gauge boat. That was an 18/52 going to get an 18/56 with the 115/80. Wanting in the 40's


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Mercury 4 stroke 115/80
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 22:14 
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2013, 04:35
Posts: 336
Location: Arcadia, MO
With 56 bottom it will take a 150/105 to get low 40's. Expect 35-38 with a 115/80.



_________________
Dan
2003 1860 Alweld Flat Bottom
2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS Jet
2003 RiverCraft trailer
Retired from Riverlife-2002 Mercury 115 Fourstroke Jet
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 22:46 

Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 21:02
Posts: 159
dhoganjr wrote:
With 56 bottom it will take a 150/105 to get low 40's. Expect 35-38 with a 115/80.
Thanks for the info. Was hoping to get more speed than that. I have two kids who are going to start bringing friends with them on river trips so I also wanting bigger motor for heavier loads. Correct me if I'm wrong but they will do the 35-38 loaded down or not so loaded down, correct? I was pleased with my 60/40 with just myself, maybe another person. When I have 3 large guys in the boat with 3 rods a piece, 3 tackle boxes, big cooler, trolling motor, gas, etc, it took a bit to get on plane and speed slowed way down, it worked but just wanting more power. It also seems to me that as far as new motors in that hp range, Mercury is more bang for your buck. Is there other options/brands in the same price range? Many more Mercury dealers around as well. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Mercury 4 stroke 115/80
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2016, 13:36 
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2013, 04:35
Posts: 336
Location: Arcadia, MO
When you load it up like that it will be toward the lower range. It will do a lot better than the 60/40. With a heavy load it will take a longer to get out of the hole, and will drop down in the water if you let off much during hard turns.

Up to the 115/80 you can tell a difference when you load it heavy. Once you get to 150/105 it doesn't seem to mind a load as much, I guess from the extra torque.

If you are happy with the 60/40 you will really like the 115/80.

Mercury is all I have owned and I have had great luck with them, and they are usually cheaper up to a couple grand in some cases. You can't go wrong with any brand now though, social media would bankrupt them if they put out inferior products.



_________________
Dan
2003 1860 Alweld Flat Bottom
2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS Jet
2003 RiverCraft trailer
Retired from Riverlife-2002 Mercury 115 Fourstroke Jet
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Mercury 4 stroke 115/80
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2016, 13:57 
Moderator

Joined: 01 Jan 2014, 08:52
Posts: 352
Location: texas
Buddy of mine has a 115/80 yam on a 1860 tunnel wot your maybe hitting 34-35. Running wide open even with a four stroke you will burn some fuel. I'd get a 20/60 alweld and put at least a 200 if you want a big boat that goes 40



_________________
first build
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=34522
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2016, 15:57 

Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 21:02
Posts: 159
dhoganjr wrote:
When you load it up like that it will be toward the lower range. It will do a lot better than the 60/40. With a heavy load it will take a longer to get out of the hole, and will drop down in the water if you let off much during hard turns.

Up to the 115/80 you can tell a difference when you load it heavy. Once you get to 150/105 it doesn't seem to mind a load as much, I guess from the extra torque.

If you are happy with the 60/40 you will really like the 115/80.

Mercury is all I have owned and I have had great luck with them, and they are usually cheaper up to a couple grand in some cases. You can't go wrong with any brand now though, social media would bankrupt them if they put out inferior products.
Thank you sir. I think the 60/40 is great motor. I was happy with it and would have kept that set up if it was just myself and maybe one other person with our gear fishing. With three adults fishing or my entire family and all our stuff I just want more motor. Going to try and get the 115/80 if I can stay within my budget. Thanks for the help and info.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2016, 22:29 

Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 21:02
Posts: 159
amk wrote:
Buddy of mine has a 115/80 yam on a 1860 tunnel wot your maybe hitting 34-35. Running wide open even with a four stroke you will burn some fuel. I'd get a 20/60 alweld and put at least a 200 if you want a big boat that goes 40
Thanks for reply. The 115/80 Mercury is the very top end of my budget. On the river I run there are motor restrictions. Different size for different part of river, most of river is 40 hp. Where I go the most is being lowered to 150 next year, right now it's unlimited. If no restrictions and could afford, absolutely 200 hp. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Mercury 4 stroke 115/80
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 06:40 

Joined: 09 Jun 2016, 09:01
Posts: 23
Sorry for the delayed response. I had a 2016 Merc 115/80 jet hung on the boat towards the end of September in place of a 2003 90/65. My rig is a heavily modified Triton 176 with custom tunnel, pods and .5 inches of K5 on the hull. The first concern was breaking the motor in properly.....Merc has a specific break-in procedure and if it is not followed, they have been known to void warranties. More importantly, this was a major investment and I want it to be there for the long-term. OK, me and a friend who is an auto mechanic take the boat to a big lake. After launch, I turned the ignition key to prime the fuel line as this thing does not use a bulb. It started instantly and was shockingly quiet. We drove around the lake for more than three hours, varying throttle speeds constantly and then going full throttle for one minute out of every ten minutes of operation. The motor was sluggish at first which my buddy attributed to it being brand new. It loosened up as time passed and hole shot, low speed planing and top end were much improved by the end of the day. I took the boat to a marina to have the motor hooked up to Merc's diagnostic system.....break-in was spot on and a big surprise was that the tach was reading 200 RPM's high. I moved the starter battery to the forward-most compartment of the boat so that there are now three batteries all the way in the nose. Second trip out, the boat leaps up on plane in 1.5 boat lengths, holds plane at 14mph at 3800 RPM's and tops out at 30 MPH. WOT is 5400 RPM's. The boat is being put on a diet as I'd like to get a few more MPH's out of it, but hole shot, planing and load carrying are more important to me than top speed. Overall I'm very pleased with this motor. It starts on the first crank every time, it's quiet and seems to not use gas. There is some information on the web that Merc really upped their game on the new 4 strokes so that they are no longer the performance dogs of earlier models. The Optimax is supposedly the best Merc engine to match with a jet pump, but after having tried a new 4 stroke, I'm sold. Hope this helps.


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 18:12 

Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 21:02
Posts: 159
fishing66 wrote:
Sorry for the delayed response. I had a 2016 Merc 115/80 jet hung on the boat towards the end of September in place of a 2003 90/65. My rig is a heavily modified Triton 176 with custom tunnel, pods and .5 inches of K5 on the hull. The first concern was breaking the motor in properly.....Merc has a specific break-in procedure and if it is not followed, they have been known to void warranties. More importantly, this was a major investment and I want it to be there for the long-term. OK, me and a friend who is an auto mechanic take the boat to a big lake. After launch, I turned the ignition key to prime the fuel line as this thing does not use a bulb. It started instantly and was shockingly quiet. We drove around the lake for more than three hours, varying throttle speeds constantly and then going full throttle for one minute out of every ten minutes of operation. The motor was sluggish at first which my buddy attributed to it being brand new. It loosened up as time passed and hole shot, low speed planing and top end were much improved by the end of the day. I took the boat to a marina to have the motor hooked up to Merc's diagnostic system.....break-in was spot on and a big surprise was that the tach was reading 200 RPM's high. I moved the starter battery to the forward-most compartment of the boat so that there are now three batteries all the way in the nose. Second trip out, the boat leaps up on plane in 1.5 boat lengths, holds plane at 14mph at 3800 RPM's and tops out at 30 MPH. WOT is 5400 RPM's. The boat is being put on a diet as I'd like to get a few more MPH's out of it, but hole shot, planing and load carrying are more important to me than top speed. Overall I'm very pleased with this motor. It starts on the first crank every time, it's quiet and seems to not use gas. There is some information on the web that Merc really upped their game on the new 4 strokes so that they are no longer the performance dogs of earlier models. The Optimax is supposedly the best Merc engine to match with a jet pump, but after having tried a new 4 stroke, I'm sold. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the info.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Wired2fish