It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 17:35
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

AirboatCoatings

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2016, 02:40 

mphelle wrote:
This is becoming a separate topic but handyandy brings up a good point.

kgrant wrote:
I recently played with a 1652 Alweld tunnel with pods powered by a 60/40 Merc 4 stroke and found it very underpowered.

This is a heavier .100 hull with a full welded railing around the boat and a full floor, 12 gallon fuel tank, single battery.

Boat would barely do 20 in deep water upriver and almost 25 downriver, would never fully plane out. Seemed very underpowered. Motor running 5200rpm, impeller like new.

Compared to my rivited lowe 1648 50/35 Honda tiller this thing was a dog.

Post a side photo with a straightedge off the bottom extending to the end of the pod. The rear of the pod should be around 3/4in higher than the bottom of the boat. If not they could be acting as trim tabs causing drag, plowing, and slow planing.

The pod are welded on around 1" above the bottom of the boat. They look square but I never did put a straight edge on them.

I don't have access to the boat right now.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2016, 03:19 

The bottom of the pod should be flush and smooth with the bottom of the boat or it will create drag, the rear of the pod should be around 3/4 inch higher than the bottom of the boat. Post a photo when you get a chance.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 07:10 

I don't think it's the jack plate I run a jack plate on mine and it planes out just fine with two guys and some gear and I know my boat is every bit as heavy as his. So I'm thinking something is wrong, either to much gap between impeller and liner, not trimmed right, pods aren't right, or something as stated more pictures would help a lot.

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3