It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 06:29
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Fiberglasssupplydepot

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2017, 20:23 

Has anyone had an issue with their exhaust filling up with water while using the trolling motor on a jet jon?

The reason that I ask is.....one of my friends at work bought a jet ski and was working on getting some of the "storage gremlins" worked out. The ski died in the middle of the lake and he called me to tow him back to shore "about 600yrds". So I hooked up to him and towed him back to shore with my trolling motor on my center console bay boat. When we got back to the boat ramp my buddy noticed that the ski felt much heavier. He started messing with his carbs and pulled the plugs and that's when he realized that his crankcase was full of water.

I'm assuming that me towing him in was enough to turn the impeller and feed the cooling water supply line.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 21:32 

Seems like a coincidence to me. I had to get towed once (had 750 polaris) & was towed at plowing speed, maybe 8 MPH. No water got in engine. A good avoidance plan is to carry something to pinch off the inlet water hose - then you can just focus on cussing out the ignition system!

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 02:29 

or buy a Kawasaki and cuss the carbs lol

I think I will plumb in a ball valve or check valve of some kind

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 07:43 

A ball valve would be worth the investment. I can't see how a check valve could work, as you want the water to flow in that same direction when engine runs.

I have a tilt-up aux mount & small outboard hanging there for plan B. Probably should install the ball valve for the day when it pushes me back to the ramp - I may not be so lucky next time!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]