transom extension and trailer bunk redo

handyandy

Post by handyandy » 22 Mar 2017, 09:47

I knew the treated lumber directly on aluminum or with carpet since the carpet would hold moisture between the two would corrode it, but I figured the trek decking will act as a good barrier between the wood and aluminum to prevent any corrosion. Time will tell I figured the pressure treated would last longer and with the trek between corrosion shouldn't be any more of an issue than usual. I thought about welding in some bracing to tie into the existing knee brace but the aluminum tubing I used to extend the transom is 3/16 thick and seemed plenty strong without it. I had the boat out this past weekend on a local lake and down around the falls of the ohio/mcalpine lock and dam fishing, and it didn't flex or give at all. We will see if needs more bracing I'll weld some in. So far so good though.

RazorBaits
handyandy

Post by handyandy » 23 Mar 2017, 14:06

So since doing this swap around a week ago and after having the boat out this past weekend on the ohio river the performance was pretty good. With three guys, small cooler of drinks, fishing stuff, my dog albeit not large, live well cooler filled with 10 gals or so of water the boat went 27mph up stream in the ohio which has pretty good current. Down stream I was able to go almost 30mph. Haven't gps'd it yet with just me in it.

richg99

Post by richg99 » 23 Mar 2017, 16:16

Well done.

Faster than I need to go.

handyandy

Post by handyandy » 24 Mar 2017, 10:43

Only about 1mph faster up top but came on plane a bit quicker with that kind of load.

eshaw

Post by eshaw » 19 Apr 2017, 11:15

New to the forum and thought I'd comment. Nice project! I've been keeping my eyes open for something of this nature. I'm still looking for a jet pump to fit my 90 horse 2000 Johnson that won't break the bank. It's a long shaft motor so I'll eventually need to do this mod. I do have a question though. How did you go about closing up the holes in the transom? Mine has wood sandwiched between the aluminum sheets on the inside and outside. I'm kind of reluctant to weld them shut with the possibility of catching the wood on fire. That would not be good! Also, mine has a cap that covers the wood and I don't think it would be sufficient to weld to so I'll probably straddle it and weld to the inner and outer sheets when I do it. Any advice is appreciated. One other item I'll have to address is the extra weight of the Johnson engine. I have a four stroke 40 Yamaha on it now and the Johnson will add over 100 lbs. of weight so pods will probably be in order.

handyandy

Post by handyandy » 21 Jul 2017, 08:21

eshaw wrote:New to the forum and thought I'd comment. Nice project! I've been keeping my eyes open for something of this nature. I'm still looking for a jet pump to fit my 90 horse 2000 Johnson that won't break the bank. It's a long shaft motor so I'll eventually need to do this mod. I do have a question though. How did you go about closing up the holes in the transom? Mine has wood sandwiched between the aluminum sheets on the inside and outside. I'm kind of reluctant to weld them shut with the possibility of catching the wood on fire. That would not be good! Also, mine has a cap that covers the wood and I don't think it would be sufficient to weld to so I'll probably straddle it and weld to the inner and outer sheets when I do it. Any advice is appreciated. One other item I'll have to address is the extra weight of the Johnson engine. I have a four stroke 40 Yamaha on it now and the Johnson will add over 100 lbs. of weight so pods will probably be in order.

With that type of transom with wood your probably in for a transom redo and making it entirely out of aluminum. My boats transom was all aluminum made from boxed tubing and .125 sheet over it from the factory. So I did just weld up the holes. The holes were a pain to weld had to use my tig welder and no matter how clean I got the metal while welding once I got a little pool of melted aluminum to start and try and close the wholes up crap from the back side of the aluminum would manage to get into my weld puddle. Making me have to stop a lot grind and wire wheel it more to clean it up of the contaminates weld a little more repeat to I had it closed up. What sort of hull are you working on? Where are you located?

CedarRiverScooter

Post by CedarRiverScooter » 21 Jul 2017, 08:51

I would pack the wood holes with fiberglass & resin, then put some 3M5200 over that for good luck.