16/48 Tracker w/ 145 HP

SC Designs

16/48 Tracker w/ 145 HP

Post by SC Designs » 17 Mar 2017, 08:50

handyandy wrote:
CedarRiverScooter wrote:SC - Thanks for sharing the video - I am getting itchy to get back out in the water. it hit 70 degF yesterday, way above normal.

Keep building those good looking boats!

Ever consider cutting into a new hull? Or building your own?

Nice work on the boats you really finish them out well. I was going to ask about the same thing. Since all your boats are riveted old clunkers to start with seems like you spend a awful lot of time money and effort just to bring the hull up to snuff when it's still always going to be a thin riveted hull, not the best for jet boat beating. Surprised you haven't started with welded hull of some kind so you have a better base from the get go. Not bashing your builds at all you clearly have it down to a science on these jet ski jons. Just seems like with how much time, money, and work you put in them starting with a better sturdier hull would be worth it. Would cost more up front vs riveted hulls that you can pick up for cheap, but seems like it would be worth it. Anyways nice work cool boats makes me want to build one, but I have too many projects already.
Thanks for the remarks, and yes, welded boats would be best but around here welded jons like (alweld, tracker grizzlys etc.) come at a pretty penny. Average cost is around 2500 bucks for a smaller boat. People are proud of them. The builds that you have seen from me is what the customers have brought me. Yes, my personal boat is a 93 tracker panfish that is riveted but I also only paid 400 bucks for it. To get a 16/48 welded boat around here I would be in the 3 to 4 k range. Hell I only have half of that in my total build. So the question is, is it really worth the extra thousands to go to welded. Not so much for me. First off 98% of use of these boats around here are in the Flint river that on a rough day barely has much more than a ripple on the water. So the boats aren't getting beat around. They are riding on glass most of the time. I do tell the customer that they will need to be real cautious if they want to run in a rough lake that the boat could be over stressed. All that aside, I would love to do a build from a welded boat but it's not going to be out of my pocket unless I come across some ridiculous cheap price on one. Each man has different depths to his pockets. 3k on just a boat to cut up may be nothing to some people but that is a hell of a lot of money to me and not something I can fathom.

One last thing, I know others here are building these jets and are running them where they are intentionally going through shoals and banging off of rocks. Not here, the purpose around here for these on the flint are for those who don't know the river and don't want to have the worry of taking a lower foot off on the large rocks that lurk below the surface. The river is deep but there large rocks in areas that can ruin your day if you aren't careful with an outboard.

xFORBESx

16/48 Tracker w/ 145 HP

Post by xFORBESx » 29 May 2017, 22:08

Absolutely awesome build! After I get my new roughneck my 97 tracker panfish, should come to you for a build like this!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

caver101

16/48 Tracker w/ 145 HP

Post by caver101 » 31 May 2017, 08:56

SC Designs, this is an awesome build! I saw that you build these for people. Do you have a website or anywhere with some contact information? Looks like you are in GA too.

I have a all welded 1860cc alumicraft that I want to talk to you about doing some conversion work on. Thanks!

caver101@gmail.com

Stumpalump

16/48 Tracker w/ 145 HP

Post by Stumpalump » 31 May 2017, 11:36

Awesome thread. Anything over 30mph with a hat and shades gets old in 10 minutes if your in an open boat. You only tweak out the WOT so the cruise is as you say. The boat feels right, the motor gets smooth and into the breeze your not hanging onto your hat or worrying about stuff blowing out. Most pros run two different props or have enough reserve power like you to compensate for extra passengers. The other thing to tweak for is lowest planing speed possible. I do that with tabs or hydrofoils. Boat feels boggy at that speed so you bump it enough that the boat gets light feeling. If all ends well you are at a reasonable cruise RPM, are sipping gas and your motor will last for 1000's of hours. Quite frankly the boat drives the best at cruise. I shoot for 75% throttle at cruise but you have to tweek the planing speed and wot speed to find that bliss. Looks like this boat nails it and that ain't easy to do on a jet Jon. Nice job!
1991 18' Valco Bayrunner Evenrude 48 SPL

Arizona

SC Designs

16/48 Tracker w/ 145 HP

Post by SC Designs » 01 Jun 2017, 08:41

Thanks Stumpalump, I have built quite a few of these now, I am in the middle of building two more. There will be another 16/48 tracker with a Seadoo 110hp coming and a 14/48 Monark with and 80hp Yamaha. Between Installing and fabricating Marine Audio and building Jetjons, I stay pretty busy.

[quote="Stumpalump"]Awesome thread. Anything over 30mph with a hat and shades gets old in 10 minutes if your in an open boat. You only tweak out the WOT so the cruise is as you say. The boat feels right, the motor gets smooth and into the breeze your not hanging onto your hat or worrying about stuff blowing out. Most pros run two different props or have enough reserve power like you to compensate for extra passengers. The other thing to tweak for is lowest planing speed possible. I do that with tabs or hydrofoils. Boat feels boggy at that speed so you bump it enough that the boat gets light feeling. If all ends well you are at a reasonable cruise RPM, are sipping gas and your motor will last for 1000's of hours. Quite frankly the boat drives the best at cruise. I shoot for 75% throttle at cruise but you have to tweek the planing speed and wot speed to find that bliss. Looks like this boat nails it and that ain't easy to do on a jet Jon. Nice job!

nowgrn4

16/48 Tracker w/ 145 HP

Post by nowgrn4 » 18 Sep 2017, 12:19

Wow! Nice fabrication. Love to have something like that but My SF agent wife would drop my insurance like a hot potato if I went over my Jon's HP rating. And I know, she did it when I exceeded my 17' Pro-Lines HP by 30 HP. Had to go with progressive Ins.

Check my Google Earth Foo. Are the last scenes from your Spring Creek vid from the outfall of Yates Spring run?
17' Pro-Line 115HP DI Johnrude Bay rig
1652 Weld-Craft 50HP Johnrude fish camp rig
17' Grumman canoe 3.3HP Johnrude on side mount creek runner

SC Designs

16/48 Tracker w/ 145 HP

Post by SC Designs » 18 Sep 2017, 15:56

Lol, you are correct about the hp ratings, but remember, jet drive Hp is a percentage of prop drive HP. The equivalent would be like having a 70 HP outboard on the back of a 16/48 tracker Pan Fish model.

And yes to your second question, that is the Yates spring exit.

nowgrn4 wrote:Wow! Nice fabrication. Love to have something like that but My SF agent wife would drop my insurance like a hot potato if I went over my Jon's HP rating. And I know, she did it when I exceeded my 17' Pro-Lines HP by 30 HP. Had to go with progressive Ins.

Check my Google Earth Foo. Are the last scenes from your Spring Creek vid from the outfall of Yates Spring run?

CedarRiverScooter

16/48 Tracker w/ 145 HP

Post by CedarRiverScooter » 18 Sep 2017, 21:53

You can have a jet jon boat re-registered as an inboard, which it is.

There are no USCG restrictions on HP for an inboard.

eshaw

16/48 Tracker w/ 145 HP

Post by eshaw » 19 Sep 2017, 11:20

Have you or do you know of anyone that has put twin skis into a 1872 welded jon?