14' Polar Kraft Jet Project

CedarRiverScooter

Post by CedarRiverScooter » 02 Apr 2015, 07:28

FB - Somehow I was missing this thread up until today.

Your boat is looking great! I bet you don't have the same cavitation issue I am getting due to your V hull. I will be putting in same reverse gate you have. What are you going to use for a steering control - teleflex?

Kep the pix coming!

Flat_Bottum

Post by Flat_Bottum » 02 Apr 2015, 08:24

I had really bad cavitation on the first shake down run...like anything over a ripple and I would struggle to keep the boat in the mid to low 30's MPH. I added a small scoop to the very back of the factory grate and that help hook up out a lot but I lost a few MPH on the top. Since the rebuild of the boat, you can see that I use a hammer to bow and bend the hull of the boat down into the water a little bit which sort of created a type of spoon, but not really a spoon if that makes sence. I am hoping that it helps out so I can run the factory grate again but we shall see. How bad is your cavitation right now? For my steering, I am using the factory steering cable and factory console which unbolts from the ski hull. I made a small adapter and mounted a 10" aluminum buttefly steering wheel. Worked out really really good and I love it. Doesn't look the best but I have less than 1/2 turn full lock to full lock which makes navigation a breeze.
14' Polar Kraft Flat Bottom with '94 Polaris 750 Engine and Pump.

Flat_Bottum

Post by Flat_Bottum » 02 Apr 2015, 08:26

Also, my hull isn't a V...but its not a true flat bottom. I have not been able to identify the actual model of the boat since I have owned it. The front of the boat is not a V but its not a jon style neither but it does have a decent V coming down the bow but it flattens out almost immediately. The boat is a 1444....so I don't know what it is haha. Works for me though.

Flat_Bottum

Post by Flat_Bottum » 03 Apr 2015, 22:14

So hopfully in the next couple of days I can finish my floor supports. Problem is, I am not trusting the pop rivets to hold tight for very long. So, I was thinking about welding all the joints for added support but would have to ARC them since I dont have access to an aluminum MIG. So, has anyone done this with success? I used to do it back in the day but it was thicker material, around 1/4". Or will the rivets be just fine?

CedarRiverScooter

Post by CedarRiverScooter » 03 Apr 2015, 22:22

I have an old millermatic mig machine that I jury rigged to run aluminum. Got it done, but if I stayed in one spot an extra second there would be a hole. I would think that stick would be just as hard to control on thin material. Could you rivet it together & then take it to a weld shop & them add some inches? Belts & suspenders!

Flat_Bottum

Post by Flat_Bottum » 03 Apr 2015, 23:04

Thats what I was thinking about doing...but I have issues with trusting other people to work on my things haha. I have done it before but like said, it was thinker material. Whenever I needed to weld aluminum, I just always used the TIG at work. I have a welding shop by my house and will prob rent a small arc welder for a day or so to give her a shot, if it doesn't work out then I will see if they do aluminum. Id just hate to have the deck start rattling after one trip...that would suck.

Flat_Bottum

Post by Flat_Bottum » 07 Apr 2015, 22:59

New bildge pumps came in, will be running a 750 GPH pump on either side of the transom. Also found a buddy at work who had a lincoln mig that I can borrow and set up for aluminum. This will make everything so much easier and stronger in the long run. Should have some photos up soon.

CedarRiverScooter

Post by CedarRiverScooter » 08 Apr 2015, 06:56

I got my mig to do aluminum by getting a teflon liner (they don't give those away) & also using an oversized tip (i.e. .045 for .035 wire). I also had to use 5356 wire because the 4043 was too soft to feed. 5356 wants to crack, so beware. I turned my 150 amp machine wide open & only got spray transfer, but it did work. Any less power = no penetration.

Good luck!

Flat_Bottum

Post by Flat_Bottum » 08 Apr 2015, 07:39

Im still debating. I know that I need to do something other than just the rivets. I do have a couple packages of SS 8-32 bolts that I was just going to use to bolt everything together with countersunk heads but still not sure. I have a couple days before I can get back on it so the next few days will tell.

Flat_Bottum

Post by Flat_Bottum » 11 Apr 2015, 21:03

So I have decided to weld it, one way or another. I rebuilt the boat to do it right since I didn't the first time and I dont want to start cutting corners now just to fight it later. Also, my bilge pumps came in. Will be running dual 750 gph pumps, one on either side of the ski hull in the back of the boat. Once I get them wired up, I will be putting both water hoses on full into the boat and kick them on to see how they do. I want over kill for the boat.

Flat_Bottum

Post by Flat_Bottum » 12 Aug 2017, 07:46

Well I tell you all what...this has been a pain in my rear and one of the looooongest unfinished projects of all time! I changed positions at work and was brought into management. That alone took each and every minute of my spare time away. After a while of that, I came back to a basic tech to get away from the office and back on the floor. Then I moved, had a baby boy and now FINALLY pulled the boat back out of the garage to finish. It has not changed since the last post but I am hoping that changes ASAP! Glad to be back sharing and reading all of the other awesome projects posted! My immediate plans are to power wash all the dust and cob webs out of the boat, build up a console and then drag it down to a local fab shop where they will be welding her all up. Pictures to come soon I promise.

CedarRiverScooter

Post by CedarRiverScooter » 12 Aug 2017, 09:26

I hear ya - I have way more time in building my JJ than I will ever spend using it!

That said, it is my favorite toy.

So keep the project candle lit.

Being in middle management can be challenging, you get pulled from both sides. Glad you are back in a position you are comfortable with.

How's the kid? Just wait until you teach him how to run the boat, better yet when he pulls you skiing!

DirtyD

Post by DirtyD » 13 Aug 2017, 20:59

I appreciate your comment on my thread. If you find some time, I would love to see what you did with the loader grate. Not so much as to pinch your idea, but to save me some potential head scratching.

CedarRiverScooter

Post by CedarRiverScooter » 13 Aug 2017, 21:52

My 1st try had the intake grate pretty much flush with flat bottom - you can easily guess how much that cavitated. The next winter I cut it back apart & lowered the intake are about 1.5 inches. I fabricated a tapered panel, kind of like a vee, to make the transition. It worked great. Another change I made was to remount pump angle to fix porposing.

If I recall correctly, you have a mod V hull, so that should push air to the side well. Theat polaris 750 should push it to mid 30 mph.

Edit: I tried the 'top loader 'grate, if that is what you are referring to. It helped with cavitation but allowed big rocks in, bad for the impeller. I still have but have no use for it - it's yours for the shipping if you want it.

Flat_Bottum

Post by Flat_Bottum » 15 Aug 2017, 01:57

All I did was get a piece of 1/4" aluminum, grind one edge to a knife edge and then cut slots in it so when I slide it up inside my grate it would fit. I then tig welded it in place and called it a day. I will try and find pictures or it to show you. This time around though, I beat the boat bottom out to match the shape of the ski hull. This also dropped my unit down about 2" overall so that should help where I wont need to loader grate I made.

Family is doing good, just bout 12 acres of properly that has been neglected so I ALWAYS have a project haha.
Yes, I am a modified V which helps me out compared to a try flat bottom. I still needed to mold the bottom a bit to fit right. With a full 2x4 wood deck frame and 3/4" plywood for decking I pushed 44 mph on glass and about 33-35 on couple inch chop. With the grate I made I topped out at 41-42 mph on glass but maintained my high 37-38 in the same chop. I like this Polaris, not super high HP but idle to mid range this thing is a torque monster.