It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 20:12
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

SliderG5

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 15:43 

Im thinking i would like to use seat normally used on a pedestal as passenger seat when under way by inserting seat directly into base (no pedestal). Guess its dangerous to do so because seat swivels. I know they make a base that swivels when you pull on a lever and locks in one of 12 positions when handle is released but I want something that freely swivels until you lock it down. I want something that freely swivels in the normal use scenario for use as a pedestal seat but can be temporarily locked down, inserted directly in to seat base (no pedestal) for passenger use when under way. Is this doable? Does anyone make such a swivel seat base that can be temporarily locked down but freely swivels until locked. Mainly used a fishing pedestal seat but secondarily use as passenger seat similar to helm seat. Guess one could use a track system but not crazy about that idea.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 22:36 

My boat was built using swiveling bass seats as the main seats. No lock down and never felt unsafe.

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018, 11:21 

Springfield makes a post that locks and a seat base that locks. Their site is confusing to me, had to call about this a couple months ago to get the right one. Was trying to fabricate a casting brace/leaning post that locked but removable from base.

http://www.springfieldgrp.com/

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018, 14:30 

My main seat rotates. No issues with it for me, but...????

Karl Pearson"

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 12:31 

Riverdog wrote:
My boat was built using swiveling bass seats as the main seats. No lock down and never felt unsafe.

Good to hear. Think Im gonna try swivels all around since I cant seem to find a swivel that will lock (as apposed to a locking seat that will swivel).

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 12:39 

jtf wrote:
Springfield makes a post that locks and a seat base that locks. Their site is confusing to me, had to call about this a couple months ago to get the right one. Was trying to fabricate a casting brace/leaning post that locked but removable from base.

http://www.springfieldgrp.com/

Only thing I saw uses a 4 inch pedestal. I want to go with 3/4 inch pin system. Seems to be most commonly used.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 12:58 

richg99 wrote:

Ever get any grief from Game Warden etc.? Im under impression American Boat & Yacht Council recommends a AD seat at helm. Thought these standards were law but maybe they are just recommendations and not a requirement. Only reason Im concerned regarding above is the legality thing.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 13:27 

No, never been stopped and asked. Actually, considering that in over 65+ years messing about in boats and fishing, I think I've only been stopped about six or seven times.

I can always plead senility these days.

Karl Pearson"

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018, 19:06 

llbaker2 wrote:
richg99 wrote:

Ever get any grief from Game Warden etc.? Im under impression American Boat & Yacht Council recommends a AD seat at helm. Thought these standards were law but maybe they are just recommendations and not a requirement. Only reason Im concerned regarding above is the legality thing.

I've been stopped once on the river by game wardens. There were three in a 16 foot jon with a jet outboard, really suprised me! They did a check of required equipement and asked if I had a fishing license. Said nothing about the swivel seats.

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 13:45 

The pop-in 3/4" post will not lock but their screw in 3/4" will. You could cut a post down and use their seat mount with the lock/swivel, it's about $40. Also one of the 2.3" X 4" post doesn't swivel and could be cut just enough to fit the base hub.

Rich has a thread here somewhere with pics where he used the screw-in 3/4." Tempress is what is in my drift boat, they offer some seat bases but you have to use their seats which are pricey.

I'm trying to do something similar for a knee/casting brace.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 13:52 

Is this the one that you are talking about?.....3/4 inch threaded

https://smile.amazon.com/Springfield-Ma ... ab14317-20

Karl Pearson"

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 11:23 

Off their web site, looks the same.

http://www.springfieldgrp.com/products/ ... aded-bases

It took three calls to get somebody that knew what he was talking about, if you have the right part number shouldn't be hard to order.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 12:13 

I not only buy many things from Amazon, I use their site as my search engine, too.

They carry almost everything; have good prices; deliver in two days for anything marked Prime, and it sure beats driving all around town trying to find things that stores no longer stock.

The $100.00 bucks a year that I spend for Prime is worth it, especially with the 2-day shipping and the exclusive TV programs that come with it. I might be able to save a few bucks by buying elsewhere, but this Prime works for me.

Karl Pearson"

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 19:27 

jtf wrote:
The pop-in 3/4" post will not lock but their screw in 3/4" will. You could cut a post down and use their seat mount with the lock/swivel, it's about $40. Also one of the 2.3" X 4" post doesn't swivel and could be cut just enough to fit the base hub.

Rich has a thread here somewhere with pics where he used the screw-in 3/4." Tempress is what is in my drift boat, they offer some seat bases but you have to use their seats which are pricey.

I'm trying to do something similar for a knee/casting brace.

The only lock and swivel Ive seen is normally in the locked position and only swivels when you pull on a lever. Once you release the lever the swivel function locks. I want just the opposite. I want some thing that normally swivels until you lock it down.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 16:15 

This might work, 5" overall. Bolt on a thin seat.

The base/post/seat base are all in one. This site has two other seat bases that might work. Doubt you will find anything shorter that has enough post in the cuff to hold.

For that price, if it isn't what you want, sell it here. I just put two tempress non-locking bases and seats on, each slip/lock bases was about what this cost.

I haven't found a post shorter than this overall, without cutting it down. This would do for my rear mount and get rid of the gerry-rig.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Marine-5- ... 2864279601

s-l1600.jpg

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next