It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 16:26
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

VinylImagesInc

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Changing out Mono
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 16:24 
Donor

Not sure if braid has changed much since I switched back to mono years ago, but I had issues with the abrasion resistance of braid. I fish for smallmouth in a rocky river and 95% of my fishing is bottom fishing with soft platics and jigs. I found that braid didn't stand up well to being constantly rubbed against and pulled through rocks and hard bottoms. I now use Yo-Zuri Hybrid and love it. But I still use braid on a round reel I have for froggin' and top water.

Post subject: Re: Changing out Mono
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 18:56 

I learned to tie the FG knot from this video: https://youtu.be/pjzUb5QRKuk

With a follow up tip from this video: https://youtu.be/LD1gWbp9zKo

Those two together made it pretty easy to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 17:17 

BigTerp wrote:
Not sure if braid has changed much since I switched back to mono years ago, but I had issues with the abrasion resistance of braid. I fish for smallmouth in a rocky river and 95% of my fishing is bottom fishing with soft platics and jigs... I now use Yo-Zuri Hybrid and love it...

Hybrid is great stuff, but try it as a leader on a braid mainline sometime and you will get th3 beat of both worlds, sensitivity of the braid and durability of the hybrid at the end of your line. FG knot the hybrid on and you dont have to worry about passing the knot through even microguides on the cast.

1985 Bass Tracker III - restoration posting coming soon w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp 2-Stroke & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v shared w/ my 14'

The way people should be

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 18:07 

Onthewater....what Hybrid, please.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 18:32 

Years ago, BB (Before Braid) I used to have to switch out the 6lb mono from my spinning reels sometimes twice a week when I was on a trip and fishing 12 hours a day. Spinning reels twist line and mono does not like being twisted. It would just get to be too much to deal with. I am 100% braid (never with a leader) these days but even though I fish rocky rivers, I've never had a problem with abrasion.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 19:10 

Scott F wrote:
Years ago, BB (Before Braid) I used to have to switch out the 6lb mono from my spinning reels sometimes twice a week when I was on a trip and fishing 12 hours a day. Spinning reels twist line and mono does not like being twisted. It would just get to be too much to deal with. I am 100% braid (never with a leader) these days but even though I fish rocky rivers, I've never had a problem with abrasion.

What he said, and I've never used any kind of leader. I mark hi-vis yellow Power Pro (40#) with a black sharpie and go on......tag end, three feet.

New River Smallies

Case Plastics Pro Staff
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 20:36 

By using a leader you keep the wear & tear of changing lures to the sacrificial tip - but you can also play with the leader material to better fit the lures you're presenting. Other than topwater presentations I don't use mono at all.

Hybrid - I was referring to Yo-Zuri Hyrid line - a co polymer blend of mono and fluoro that is tough as nails. I use 10lb test leaders of that stuff when salmon fishing in Pulaski NY, pulling 25lb salmon out of a rocky as hell 300 CFS flow river with water no deeper than 16" in many places. I've never had it break while fighting a fish. Great stuff.

1985 Bass Tracker III - restoration posting coming soon w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp 2-Stroke & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v shared w/ my 14'

The way people should be

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 21:31 

Just ordered some. Thanks

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 09:10 
Donor

onthewater102 wrote:
BigTerp wrote:
Hybrid is great stuff, but try it as a leader on a braid mainline sometime and you will get th3 beat of both worlds, sensitivity of the braid and durability of the hybrid at the end of your line. FG knot the hybrid on and you dont have to worry about passing the knot through even microguides on the cast.

This was another issue I had with using braid....the leader. I switched to a flouro leader because of the aforementioned abrasion issues but had issues with my leader to mainline knots. Don't remember off the top of my head what knots I was using, but I know it wasn't an FG knot. Might give the FG knot a try if I ever get the desire to go back to braid.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 09:32 
Donor

onthewater102 wrote:
Hybrid - I was referring to Yo-Zuri Hyrid line - a co polymer blend of mono and fluoro that is tough as nails. I use 10lb test leaders of that stuff when salmon fishing in Pulaski NY, pulling 25lb salmon out of a rocky as hell 300 CFS flow river with water no deeper than 16" in many places. I've never had it break while fighting a fish. Great stuff.

Yo-Zuri Hybrid really is good stuff!! More sensitive than mono, great knot strength (I've never had a knot fail), excellent abrasion resistance, more sensitive than mono with some nice stretch/shock absorption, strength to diameter is great and a very castable line. It's priced right as well, IMO. So even though it's not needed I probably change my line out twice a year since it won't break the bank at $15 for 600 yards of 6# test.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 10:43 

LDUBS, before I learned about lactic acid build up in stressing smallmouth, I used light tackle and 4# Trilene XL. I changed 1/2 spool for every reel, every trip. Overkill? Yes, but I had peace of mind and confidence built up before every trip. And, FWIW, I'm certain that UV and heat are mono's worst enemy.

New River Smallies

Case Plastics Pro Staff
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 12:30 

I use Power Pro moss green on everything, and no leaders.
I re-tie when it gets nicks or tooth marks on the end. Not very often. I also reverse the line on the reel each year so I'm using it from both ends.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 01:58 

New River Rat wrote:
LDUBS, before I learned about lactic acid build up in stressing smallmouth, I used light tackle and 4# Trilene XL. I changed 1/2 spool for every reel, every trip. Overkill? Yes, but I had peace of mind and confidence built up before every trip. And, FWIW, I'm certain that UV and heat are mono's worst enemy.

Thanks. Same issue when releasing trout. Don't want to overplay them. I use 8# mono when trolling with down riggers. Otherwise, use 4# for tossing lures at trout. A lot of guys use 2#.

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3