It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 09:18
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Changing out Mono
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 02:33 

Johnny wrote:
I just picked up a couple of spools of Berkley Big Game 20# Neon Green.
so after a good cleaning, all the saltwater reels will get a new spool
of line for the season. We get so many hangups on the rocks that some spools
have an assortment of different weight sizes as well as braid/mono mixture.
if the weather is nice through the winter, we will do the same thing next year.
not changing out due to the age of the line, but, rather the loss of the original line.
the freshwater spools are the same way. changed out due to wear and tear, not age.

Tight Lines, calm seas and Fair Winds - :fishing2:

to prevent thread drift, photos of yesterdays catch are in the "Fishing Reports" section.

Do you ever get the large bulk spools? Have a friend who picks it up that way, but he changes out his reels weekly during the seasonal salmon runs.

I'm the same way as you. I get enough snags & twists that I need to change out line long before age becomes a factor.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 09:18 
Donor

I have never bought bulk spools.
I don't troll with down or outriggers that require a lot of line anymore.
somebody like Dale-H that does a lot of off-shore fishing does that.
I prefer the Neon Yellow [when I can find it] for salt water.
for fresh water, we usually fall into the 17# range of whatever is on sale
at BPS. the fish could care less what color the line is (IMHO).
we have been braid users for years and are now transitioning back over
to mono as it does not hang up as easily on debris.
but when dropping into heavy cover, we use 65# braid.

Tight Lines !!!

Paint, Thinners and Applications = http://www.paintingforpainters.com/

1959 Crestliner Commodore 14'
1959 Lone Star Malibu 14'
1958 Johnson 35 RDE-19 Sea Horse
1958 Johnson 35 RDS-20 Super Sea Horse

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 00:29 

richg99 wrote:
So...what did you buy?

Rich, I bought a whole lot of nuthin. I enjoyed a good time with family and friends, but never did get the chance to sneak over to the tackle shop.

Looks like I'll have to set some time aside to make a special trip to stock up on supplies. As you might know, that isn't always as easy as it sounds on a retiree's schedule. :LOL2:

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 07:46 

Gotcha.

Yes, retirees have six Saturdays and One Sunday every week, and still not enough time to do everything.

How did I ever work 50/60 hours a week while raising 4 kids? Guess I was married to the right woman ( who also worked!)

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 15:23 

Dunno if this is taking you off topic - but I have given up on Mono and switched basically everything over to 40# power pro braid (equivalent of 10lb diameter mono) and use an FG knot to tie on a sacrificial leader. Usually I am tipping it with fluorocarbon, but for topwater baits I'll use a 17lb mono. Only reel I have now that isn't braid to leader is a casting reel on my crankbait rod that's got all fluoro on it.

Braid last so much longer, and I can flip it around on the spool after a year or two and freshen it up. I'd be nipping mono with every lure retie and loosing so much material to knicks and dmg it's really saved a lot of $$$ in the end.

1985 Bass Tracker III - restoration posting coming soon w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp 2-Stroke & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v shared w/ my 14'

The way people should be

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2017, 03:56 

onthewater102 wrote:
Dunno if this is taking you off topic - but I have given up on Mono and switched basically everything over to 40# power pro braid (equivalent of 10lb diameter mono) and use an FG knot to tie on a sacrificial leader. Usually I am tipping it with fluorocarbon, but for topwater baits I'll use a 17lb mono. Only reel I have now that isn't braid to leader is a casting reel on my crankbait rod that's got all fluoro on it.

Braid last so much longer, and I can flip it around on the spool after a year or two and freshen it up. I'd be nipping mono with every lure retie and loosing so much material to knicks and dmg it's really saved a lot of $$$ in the end.

I currently use 4# to 8# mono. I haven't entertained braid because 99% of what I do is trolling. I want the "stretchiness" of mono.

For some reason I thought braid did not stand up to nicks/abrasion very well. Not sure where I heard or read that but it sounds like your experience is different.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2017, 09:48 

I switched to braid 15/20 years ago for my bait casters...first.

Then, after many years of frustration with the few spinning reels that I have, I switched them over to braid. What a great improvement over mono, using braid on spinners. I still have "wind tangles" but a whole lot fewer of them than I had with coiled mono. Not perfect, but better, IMHO.

I have learned to "drop my finger" when I have to reel line in with no tension on it. That little trick puts a bit of tension on the line and it goes onto the reel a bit tighter.

On my baitcasters, I have actually gone back to mono on a few of them.

I was fishing with a guide last year. He was hooking up often. I was pulling the hook out of the speckled trout's mouths all too many times. I switched to his mono rig, and my landing ratio went way up.

There are times for both.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2017, 11:47 

I do A LOT of casting with spinning reels using stickbaits. Almost all of my reels are spooled with mono, I had Fireline on for 1 night and took it off the next day due to excessive wind knots, I have 1 reel spooled with braid and like it, but do get the occasional wind knot when casting and use it mainly for trolling.
After trying "MANY" mono lines, guess what, Stren original and Trilene XT are still my bread and butter lines, Suffix Elite worked well also and a few others, but some mono's I had tried were junk IMO!

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2017, 13:24 

The only mono I use is 4lb on my ultralights.
Even my "light" panfishing rods have 5lb braid. That's really because I like to bass fish with them too.
Everything else is 30lb braid on baitcasters and 20lb braid on spinning reels. The Power Pro is the best line I've used. The copy-cats don't compare.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2017, 16:35 

I currently use 4# to 8# mono. I haven't entertained braid because 99% of what I do is trolling. I want the "stretchiness" of mono.

For some reason I thought braid did not stand up to nicks/abrasion very well. Not sure where I heard or read that but it sounds like your experience is different.[/quote]

Several years ago, a book was written listing the actual running depths of 200 popular crankbaits. This was in the days before braid so only mono was used for testing the lures. Trolling a lure 100 feet behind the boat, he used a depth finder in a second boat following behind to see how deep the lures ran. One important thing he found was that while performing the tests, they could see fish hitting the lure being tested on the depthfinder. With 10lb mono, very often, the person holding the rod, due to the stretch of the line, did not feel the baits being hit by fish. More hits were felt when trolling with less stretchy 17lb line. That was the first of many reasons I quit using mono many years ago.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2017, 18:17 

Scott F wrote:

For some reason I thought braid did not stand up to nicks/abrasion very well. Not sure where I heard or read that but it sounds like your experience is different.

Several years ago, a book was written listing the actual running depths of 200 popular crankbaits. This was in the days before braid so only mono was used for testing the lures. Trolling a lure 100 feet behind the boat, he used a depth finder in a second boat following behind to see how deep the lures ran. One important thing he found was that while performing the tests, they could see fish hitting the lure being tested on the depthfinder. With 10lb mono, very often, the person holding the rod, due to the stretch of the line, did not feel the baits being hit by fish. More hits were felt when trolling with less stretchy 17lb line. That was the first of many reasons I quit using mono many years ago.[/quote]

Interesting. I can see that more hits would be felt, but were they getting more hookups? This is all just my opinion of course, but with a little line stretch, those hits might be more likely to become hookups. Additionally, if they have softer mouths like trout, the stretch might help keep em hooked. Like I said, just my opinion.

Looking at the various underwater footage on Youtube, it is kind of incredible to see how many times a trout will bump a lure or make short strikes.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 10:52 

If the lack of stretch is causing you to miss fish you're using too stiff a rod for your application. The rod should be flexing as needed to play the fish, if you're relying on the line to stretch you're stressing the knots, causing you to have to use heavier and more visible line for your presentatio s and thats likely costing you bites.

Switch to a lower power rod, either go from a med/hvy to a med or a med to a med/light, or use fiberglass rods rather than graphite (for trolling anyway.) The guys around here that troll for kokanee salmon (14" typically sized) seem to prefer ugly stick rods for exactly the reasons you've described.

1985 Bass Tracker III - restoration posting coming soon w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp 2-Stroke & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v shared w/ my 14'

The way people should be

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 17:43 

onthewater102 wrote:
If the lack of stretch is causing you to miss fish you're using too stiff a rod for your application. The rod should be flexing as needed to play the fish, if you're relying on the line to stretch you're stressing the knots, causing you to have to use heavier and more visible line for your presentatio s and thats likely costing you bites.

Switch to a lower power rod, either go from a med/hvy to a med or a med to a med/light, or use fiberglass rods rather than graphite (for trolling anyway.) The guys around here that troll for kokanee salmon (14" typically sized) seem to prefer ugly stick rods for exactly the reasons you've described.

What you say makes sense to me -- a lot of sense. Right now I use Ugly Stiks with 8# mono on down riggers and I sometimes wonder if they are too stiff. If I stack a 3rd rod it is an UL with 4#. I'm not sure that I'm missing a lot of fish. I was just commenting on why I think I prefer more flexible mono for trolling vs line with no give. But, I try to keep and open mind and like reading other techniques & tackle preferences.

A lot of the people around here who target Kokanee use glass rods with a lot of flex. Kokanee fishing has developed quite a following and a whole new line of specialty gear. I like chasing Kokes, but use the same equipment I use for trout.

BTW, I'm still trying to figure out why more fish are caught on the starboard side of my boat. Switching gear doesn't matter. Seems the driver's side always gets more action. Crazy! I need to start keeping some stats just to prove it is a real thing as opposed to perception.

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2