It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 05:58
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

akmccallumco

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ugly stik USSP601H
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2018, 13:52 

I've been using the 6' Uglystik for over two years now, and it's been a perfect heavy rod for bigger or hard fighting fish. I use it mainly for snakeheads which need a REALLY HARD hook set or they spit your hook.

The 6' heavy rod is perfectly suited for casting in close quarters and setting hooks in bony mouths. As a bonus the handle is very short (8") making is easily clear the pockets on my fishing vest when casting where other medium heavy to heavy rods at 7' or more have much longer handles and clank my vest all the time. The short handle is also ideal for sitting on my tinny bench seat and not getting in the way when a fish in on.

I looked at a lot of heavy rods a few years ago and the two problems I had with them were overall length (7' to 7'6") and handle length. They looked and felt more like surf rods (where you would use a two handed cast) than fresh water spinning rods. I actually considered having one custom made but the uglystik saved me a lot of time and money.

Anyway, durability has been excellent especially for a sub $45 (delivered) rod, so much so I bought two more last month as spares because they are getting harder to come by. I suspect some bean counter at Shakespeare will ultimately discontinue them, if so, I'm set for at least my lifetime.

Gary (in South Florida)

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 14:14 

I still have my first UglyStik 6' one-piece spinning rod from 35+ years ago. It is a lot fatter and rougher finish than the current models but I still like it. I remember how we thought it was so high tech, which I guess it was for the time. Now, in addition to the original rod, I have an Elite spinning (6.5'), 8.5' steelhead rod, handmade striper rod from an UglyStik blank, and a very heavy rod we used to use when trolling for salmon using 2# weights on sinker releases.

I know a lot of folks turn up their noses at them, but UglyStiks are hard to beat for value and durability. For the past year or so I stopped using them in favor of much lighter powered glass rods that are just better matches for how I fish. If UglyStik made a lighter powered rod I would use it.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 16:49 

Not to sound stupid, (oops, too late), but is this the same Uglystick that Wally World has on hand all the time?

Roger

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 23:46 

GTS225 wrote:
Not to sound stupid, (oops, too late), but is this the same Uglystick that Wally World has on hand all the time?

Roger

Yep, same one.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 21:51 

GTS225 wrote:

Roger

Uglystik yes, the 6' heavy rod I've never seen in the half dozen WW's I regularly go to in So. Flo. I have found the heavy model only on Ebay.

Gary (in South Florida)

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 15:45 

Tackledirect claims they have some in stock. Have no experience with this vendor so buyer beware. FishUSA also has them in stock. I buy from these folks all the time. Top notch vendor.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 20:18 

"FishUSA . . . Top notch vendor."

X2

Post subject: Re: Ugly stik USSP601H
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 14:42 

LDUBS wrote:
"FishUSA . . . Top notch vendor."

X2

I’ve ordered rods from them in the past. Came well packaged, never had a issue.

Even paying duty and shipping is was cheaper than most store around here in Nova Scotia, Canada. And better selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2018, 08:40 

i love my Ugly Stik custom. i got a Abu7000 on a 14' ocean master surf rod as a gift, on my way to Cape Hatteras it dawned on me that this reel would be a good boat reel so i stopped at a tackle shop in nags head, randomly selected a rod that would be good on deck. it is a ugly stik custom spinning rod...... works great. caught many fish of varying species, even hauled in a 8' alligator in florida. great rod, great price, i have had this rod for 8+ years.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]