It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 10:49
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

SliderG5

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 02:44 

SeaFaring wrote:
I just picked up a new Shimano NASCI 3000 for $99.

The way I justified spending that much was that the reel has 20lbs of drag in 3000 size - most reels that small have 10-15 lbs of drag. This makes it a more versatile inshore reel. One of my primary use cases is vertical jigging, so the light weight of a small reel with a composite frame was desirable.

I find the main advantage of higher end reels is better drags, and in the case of baitcasters, better cast control and bearings.

That said, I’m super happy with my $29 Pflueger Trion micro underspin. With 4-6 lb mono, you don’t need big drag, and what there is is pretty smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With that drag you can load her up with higher test braid. Come back and do a review (I guess we will have to wait until after the big thaw). I, and I think a lot of others, gain a lot from the gear feedback.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 21:05 

LDUBS wrote:
SeaFaring wrote:
I just picked up a new Shimano NASCI 3000 for $99.

The way I justified spending that much was that the reel has 20lbs of drag in 3000 size - most reels that small have 10-15 lbs of drag. This makes it a more versatile inshore reel. One of my primary use cases is vertical jigging, so the light weight of a small reel with a composite frame was desirable.

I find the main advantage of higher end reels is better drags, and in the case of baitcasters, better cast control and bearings.

That said, I’m super happy with my $29 Pflueger Trion micro underspin. With 4-6 lb mono, you don’t need big drag, and what there is is pretty smooth.

With that drag you can load her up with higher test braid. Come back and do a review (I guess we will have to wait until after the big thaw). I, and I think a lot of others, gain a lot from the gear feedback.

I’m really happy with it - my fishing buddy and I have caught a couple of keeper striped bass on it.

I also realized that by taking it off of the 6’ slow action jigging rod and putting it on my 7’ medium action spinning rod, it will also be a good walleye/smallmouth rig.

I have a hard time doing full reviews though because I just don’t get to fish enough to really put the screws on my tackle. As some of you have probably realized, I can be a bit wordy. But with fishing tackle I usually don’t get past “it’s smooth. I like it.” Or whatever it does that I don’t like, nothing in that category on the NASCI yet.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2