It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 04:39
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Five Oceans Hydrofoil
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 12:12 

I bought this used off EBay . To much drag for my 15 Hp motor. It did get the boat up on plane in about half a heart beat but cost to much on the top end. Part of my problem is I am running one of those mid 80's Johnson 17" shaft on my 15" transom. I've raised it up a couple" but not quite enough to get the hydrofoil clear of the water. I think it'd work fine if it was just clear of the water on plane.

This is one of those black two-piece jobbies, attaches with four stainless screws--hardware included.

Pay for shipping and it's yours. PM me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 17:39 

Ha Ha....pretty normal for hydrofoils. They raise the stern but drop the speed. The real solution IMHO is Smart Tabs. They cost ten times what that device cost you, though.

Some handy guys have welded tabs onto the stern of their tinnies. If you got the configuration right the first time, that might work. But, I like the push and pull of the gas struts on the Smart Tabs.

You might just keep looking around for a manual jackplate. Raising the engine might solve the problem all by itself. Not every boat needs a hydrofoil or Smart Tabs.

richg99

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 14:11 
Donor

Yep, my foil robs 3-4 mph off the top end for sure, but with 2 people in the rear seating position it will never plane without it. Maybe 3 or 4 minutes to plane if the wind is just right... I'd like to try smart tabs, but I can go 25mph on my tin with the foil, that's enough for me.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 14:12 

If it works for you, don't change it.

richg99

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]