It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 22:56
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Chirp or down image??
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 06:52 

muskiemike12 wrote:
Givey1982 wrote:
So I am trying to decide which FF to get within my price range of $250.00. If you had to choose or based on your experience would you rather have chirp capability or down image capability? I wont be fishing over about 75’ deep and that would be on a rare occasion.

Thanks for the feedback

Make sure and take a look at the Garmin Striker series. I’m looking at getting the striker plus 7sv It has the ability to draw and save your own hd lakemaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I might stretch my budget some but the Garmin is twice what I was wanting to spend. From what I see It is $100.00 over the Lowrance. Not saying it is not worth it but just too far off for me.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 10:27 

For your original question: down imaging is better than chirp if you have to choose. Down imaging shows a superior image, you can spot individual fish, trees, brush piles, rocks, etc. With traditional sonar all (chirp or not) of that looks like a blob, so you have to fish it to figure out what you're seeing.

You can download free maps for Lowrance products at https://www.genesismaps.com/ and they are SUPERIOR to the maps you spend $100. Goto that sight and see if your lakes have a map available for download. After finding these community generated maps I'll never spend money on a map chip again. You might need to call Lowrance customer support to get an answer on Hook2 support for these maps as the website is lacking details.

I'd say if the Hook2 doesn't support the C-Map Genesis maps, don't get it. Spend a little more money to get one with free downloadable map support.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I went the route of "buy cheap" and after learning a lot about fish finders, I realized that was a mistake. The unit you really would be happy with is the Lowrance Elite-5 TI, but it's expensive. However, it's a buy once fish finder, versus buying a Hook2, realizing all it's limitations, and then buying the unit you really needed later on.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 14:30 

I use sonar routinely over down imaging. I am able to identify individual fish marks suspended in the water column. For bottom details, Down Imaging is superior, IMO.

I am sorry to say we may have a difference of option about C-Maps. I find it to be incomplete and inaccurate for the lakes I frequent. Maybe they are more accurate in other areas. It looks like some of the sonar mapping was done during the drought when lakes were at extreme draw down. I don't know this for certain, only suspect that is the case based on what I'm seeing. Anyway, it might be a regional thing, but I would take a hard look at this product before making a decision.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 21:37 

Well I blew my budget and went with the Lowrance Hook2 7 with TripleShot. No maps because it will plot and I have maps (Navonics) on my phone for now. I think I will like it just fine. It is a huge upgrade from what I have now and maybe with a larger screen and color options I can actually see it.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 21:57 

Givey1982 wrote:
Well I blew my budget and went with the Lowrance Hook2 7 with TripleShot. No maps because it will plot and I have maps (Navonics) on my phone for now. I think I will like it just fine. It is a huge upgrade from what I have now and maybe with a larger screen and color options I can actually see it.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback

Nice move. I have been looking at those units for about a month now. The only thing holding me back is the fact I’m scared to death of the huge transducer. Just thinking about all the ways I could damage it makes my skin itch. Right around the pocket with the Wallet area for some reason. The whole package is a definite upgrade from the original hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 22:08 

I will have to watch that for sure.

I was going to get it through cabela’s But they stopping giving their military discount for online sales. I got mine from the Lowrance factory outlet site. $399 not tax or shipping.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018, 00:54 

Very nice. Congrats & enjoy.

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2