It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 22:28
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Wired2fish

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Chirp or down image??
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 17:02 

So I am trying to decide which FF to get within my price range of $250.00. If you had to choose or based on your experience would you rather have chirp capability or down image capability? I wont be fishing over about 75’ deep and that would be on a rare occasion.

Thanks for the feedback

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 18:28 

CHIRP just provides better separation of objects at deeper depths. I'd rather have 2D images than down image every time. Does the unit you are looking at have both 2D and down imaging?

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 18:32 

Scott F wrote:
CHIRP just provides better separation of objects at deeper depths. I'd rather have 2D images than down image every time. Does the unit you are looking at have both 2D and down imaging?

I am looking at the Lowrance® Hook2 5X SplitShot Sonar/GPS Combo which has sonar and down image but no CHIRP. I assume sonar is 2D?

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 19:10 

Down imaging, side imaging and 2D are all different versions of sonar. The Hook 2 does have both 2D and down imaging. for $229, it should be just fine.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 19:46 

Scott F wrote:
Down imaging, side imaging and 2D are all different versions of sonar. The Hook 2 does have both 2D and down imaging. for $229, it should be just fine.

Thanks for the feedback

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 23:02 

My current FF has down imaging and I seldom use it. If I understand correctly, CHIRP is enhanced sonar. Based on my fishing style, I would go with CHIRP. I fish primarily in deep water and am most interested in finding where fish are hanging in the water column. I don't spend much time along banks or in shallower water. YMMV.

BTW, I've mentioned in other threads that I find the map function much more useful than I originally thought. The DI or sonar shows what is happening under the boat. It is incredibly useful to see changing bottom contours all around you.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 23:32 

The unit that Givey is looking at has GPS but does not have maps. Maps are the important feature. Relating your current position to landmarks and depth changes to help you find offshore structures. It’s the biggest feature you give up on lower cost units.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 05:09 

Scott F wrote:
The unit that Givey is looking at has GPS but does not have maps. Maps are the important feature. Relating your current position to landmarks and depth changes to help you find offshore structures. It’s the biggest feature you give up on lower cost units.

If I jump up $100 I can get a unit with a built in Navionics chip. Does that mean it has the Navionics maps installed and I don’t have to buy the maps on an SD card later or does it mean that it will work with Navionics maps after I go buy them?

Thanks

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 08:36 

You did not say which model comes with the Navioncs chip for another $100 so I can’t tell for sure what you are getting. Probably, it comes with the maps. The question is, are the lakes you fish included on the map chip? Even the best map chips do not include every lake. There is a way to find out what lakes are on the chip, but you have to find out exactly which chip comes with the unit.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 08:54 

Scott F wrote:
You did not say which model comes with the Navioncs chip for another $100 so I can’t tell for sure what you are getting. Probably, it comes with the maps. The question is, are the lakes you fish included on the map chip? Even the best map chips do not include every lake. There is a way to find out what lakes are on the chip, but you have to find out exactly which chip comes with the unit.

Sorry
It is the Lowrance® Hook2 5 SplitShot™ Sonar/GPS Combo with Navionics+. The Navionics app has my lake so I figured the map files would have it as well but that may be a bad assumption.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 09:08 

That’s got everything you need. The $100 upgrade for the mapping is well worth it. Much, much better than just GPS.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 22:39 

You can go to the Navionics website and click on the ChartViewer tab. Scroll around and zoom in on one of your lakes. It might give you a good idea of the product.

When I purchased my Helix 7 the Navionics micro card was part of the package deal. It came with the FF. I had to "install" it, which fortunately for me only involved putting the little card in the little slot. Haha.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 23:37 

LDUBS wrote:
You can go to the Navionics website and click on the ChartViewer tab. Scroll around and zoom in on one of your lakes. It might give you a good idea of the product.

When I purchased my Helix 7 the Navionics micro card was part of the package deal. It came with the FF. I had to "install" it, which fortunately for me only involved putting the little card in the little slot. Haha.

The reality is there are only 3 lakes that I fish where it might be useful. I could use the app on my phone for that and maybe just try and up my budget to a sonar/DI/SI unit with no maps just GPS. There are so many options on the market that a decision is not coming easy.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 12:20 

I know exactly what you mean. And, the technology/features are constantly changing. When I was shopping for mine, I found it difficult to even understand the terminology. I think the key for selecting features will really depend on your style of fishing.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 22:28 

Givey1982 wrote:
So I am trying to decide which FF to get within my price range of $250.00. If you had to choose or based on your experience would you rather have chirp capability or down image capability? I wont be fishing over about 75’ deep and that would be on a rare occasion.

Thanks for the feedback

Make sure and take a look at the Garmin Striker series. I’m looking at getting the striker plus 7sv It has the ability to draw and save your own hd lakemaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next