It is currently 22 Jul 2018, 04:50
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

VinylImagesInc

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Dual purpose battery
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 14:00 

I'm getting ready to wire up my 16 ft aluminum vee. My back is only good for 4 or 5 hours on fishing days which aren't that often anymore. Wonder if I could get away with a dual purpose using a 30 hp or 40 hp tiller electric start and a 50 lb trolling motor. By the time I stop fishing altogether I imagine the next generation of batteries will be here weighing nothing and doing everything.

14 ft Lone Star w/15hp Evinrude sold

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 21:42 

Even an actual "Deep Cycle" battery is capable of starting a motor depending on the amount of cranking amps the motor requires.

I do know that a Napa #8231 deep cycle battery even though it is a larger group 31 battery is only listed as putting out 650CCA as it is a deep cycle and not a starting battery.

That is sufficient to start a smaller engine I would guess most motors up to about 70 horsepower easily maybe even a bit larger but would not start most modern "big" motors that require a minimum of 800 or so cranking amps.

I would check my engine owners manual for the required battery capacity in amps and also take into consideration what else I was planning on trying to run off of the same battery.

Personally I prefer to use the batteries for the trolling motor just for that purpose and all other uses off of a separate battery.

Just like anything else as boaters are using multiple and more advanced and larger electronics, running live wells, power poles and so forth consuming greater amounts of battery power the boater needs to have more and larger batteries to handle the consumption of juice.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 22:03 

I'm leaning toward an acm battery for the trolling motor. It'd be up front where most of the bouncing takes place. Then find a place for the starting battery in the middle of the boat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K898AT6/re ... B005CLPOQM

14 ft Lone Star w/15hp Evinrude sold

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2