Trolling motor swap

Trolling motors, Fish Finders, GPS, Batteries, anything Electrical, post it here.
gfa1964

Trolling motor swap

Post by gfa1964 »

New to the forums here! Just purchased a 1982 Bass Tracker with the original trolling motor on it. Have a newer one to replace it with but the plugs are very different. Both are 12 volt Motor Guides. Older is a 28lb thrust and the newer one is a 40lb. Is it as simple as changing out the receptacle on the bow or is it more involved. Oh yeah, I know very little about wiring. Thanks for replies in advance.

bulrid8

Trolling motor swap

Post by bulrid8 »

May be easier to swap the plug end on the trolling motor.

TNtroller

Trolling motor swap

Post by TNtroller »

If the plug and receptacle are in good shape, just cut the plug off the old TM and splice it onto the new TM.

bgeddes

Trolling motor swap

Post by bgeddes »

While I have no specific knowledge of your model of boat, I would check the size of the wire going to the original plug. The new motor will require more current and therefore may need a little larger wire. If the manufacturer offered a larger trolling motor as an option, the wires are probably big enough. Just something to think about.

JMichael

Trolling motor swap

Post by JMichael »

bgeddes » 30 Mar 2014, 20:52 wrote:While I have no specific knowledge of your model of boat, I would check the size of the wire going to the original plug. The new motor will require more current and therefore may need a little larger wire. If the manufacturer offered a larger trolling motor as an option, the wires are probably big enough. Just something to think about.
+1 Don't just assume that the existing wiring will handle the extra amp draw or you may end up burning up some wires and possibly having to deal with a fire. :shock:

gfa1964

Trolling motor swap

Post by gfa1964 »

Thanks for the input, I wouldn't have thought about the wiring not being heavy enough. Any advice on what guage to replace it with?

ccm

Trolling motor swap

Post by ccm »

6 or 8 gauge will work just fine.

muskiemike12

Trolling motor swap

Post by muskiemike12 »

Here is a link to Minnkota with a chart on what you will need for wire.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/General/W ... r_my_motor_/

gfa1964

Trolling motor swap

Post by gfa1964 »

In the process of doing the swap. Unwrapped the tape from the plugs, and on the older motor 2 wires to running to the plug. On the newer motor, also 2 wires coming out. However when they ran it to the plug they separated each lead into 2 halves as the plug has 4 prongs on it. So I have a red lead with 2 ends and a black lead with 2 ends. Is it ok to reverse the process on both plugs so it wil match the receptacles? Thanks!

JMichael

Trolling motor swap

Post by JMichael »

You can do it either way. If the pins are not large enough to handle that size wire and you have 4 pins you can divide them up but if the pins are heavy enough to hold all of the wire strands you can do it with 2 pins.

gfa1964

Trolling motor swap

Post by gfa1964 »

Finished the job this weekend. Works great. Thanks for the replies :LOL2: