It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 05:59
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Garmin vs Lorance
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2018, 19:39 

I have a Striker 4 and my fishing buddy has a Striker 5 and we both like them a lot. We fish So. Flo. shallow lakes and waterways and have no need for maps so if that's a deal breaker you may want to look at something else.

Gary (in South Florida)

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 16:23 
Donor

LDUBS wrote:
Thanks Mr Giggles for clarifying.

This is just my personal view. For whatever it is worth I would not consider the Striker unit because it lacks detailed contour maps.

Pretty much all of them come with basic map info, don't they? I had to buy a map chip for my Helix 5 DI GPS and my Lowrance Elite 5 Chirp GPS. Otherwise the maps were basically just outlines of the lake.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 16:44 

jethro wrote:
LDUBS wrote:
Thanks Mr Giggles for clarifying.

This is just my personal view. For whatever it is worth I would not consider the Striker unit because it lacks detailed contour maps.

Pretty much all of them come with basic map info, don't they? I had to buy a map chip for my Helix 5 DI GPS and my Lowrance Elite 5 Chirp GPS. Otherwise the maps were basically just outlines of the lake.

I think so and the Striker allows the user to build & share maps. It does not have the capability to add map chips (according to Garmin). My Helix 7 was one of those package deals that included a Navionics lake map chip. I know I didn't get it for free, but it seemed a good deal so I went for it.

You know, before I had the detailed maps I would not have thought them that important. Now, if I had to choose between detailed maps or sonar, I'm not sure which I would be willing to give up first. Of course, fishing styles and preferences vary dramatically and I fully understand someone else might not find maps useful at all.

I wonder how we managed to catch fish in the old days without all this fancy high tech stuff. I also wonder what new technology is around the corner. In a few years everyone might be wearing virtual reality 3D glasses that show the fish. Haha.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 18:19 

I came across this comparison that showed the Garmin sonar units did not have a full field of coverage beneath the boat, and that there was a blind spot the software concealed by building a composite image.

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 12:08 
Donor

LDUBS wrote:
Now, if I had to choose between detailed maps or sonar, I'm not sure which I would be willing to give up first. Of course, fishing styles and preferences vary dramatically and I fully understand someone else might not find maps useful at all.

I wonder how we managed to catch fish in the old days without all this fancy high tech stuff. I also wonder what new technology is around the corner. In a few years everyone might be wearing virtual reality 3D glasses that show the fish. Haha.

As I am sure you know, I can't troll coldwater without charts, especially in the summer when I'm fishing deep. It's a big part of the info I need when I'm dragging close to a thousand dollars in hardware under the boat.

Have you seen the Garmin Panoptix Livescope units? That technology is amazing, the sonar is so accurate you can even determine fish species from it. They've started to ban it from tournaments is so amazing. https://youtu.be/q-TtJcEQmB0

Last edited by jethro on 06 Dec 2018, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 12:11 
Donor

onthewater102 wrote:
I came across this comparison that showed the Garmin sonar units did not have a full field of coverage beneath the boat, and that there was a blind spot the software concealed by building a composite image.

That's interesting, makes me wonder what other games they play, especially with that Livescope I linked above!

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 14:45 

jethro wrote:
onthewater102 wrote:

That's interesting, makes me wonder what other games they play, especially with that Livescope I linked above!

That's the difference between Clearvu and Downvu that I mentioned before. Clearvu does not have a true down element in the transducer. Downvu (with a GT series transducer) does.

From what I understand, Downvu's technology was too similar to the competition. That prompted a lawsuit which Garmin lost, and is why they had to switch to the "wannabe" Clearvu.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 23:01 

jethro wrote:

Have you seen the Garmin Panoptix Livescope units? That technology is amazing, the sonar is so accurate you can even determine fish species from it. They've started to ban it from tournaments is so amazing. https://youtu.be/q-TtJcEQmB0

I've probably seen the name in the past but just scrolled on by. I watched the Youtube video in your link. Now, I have to admit that is very impressive. Price tag is kinda rich for me, but let's see, if I start saving now, and the prices come down like they always to for tech stuff, then I could possibly have one at some point in the future. Haha.

Looks like it has been out for awhile. I wonder why we don't hear more about it.

Edit: Jethro, in another Panoptix video the guy was trolling for walleye. He shows them at 10' depth in the forward view. As the boat approaches, the fish dive down to 25'. Then they go off the forward view scope and his regular sonar shows fish marks at 25'. Now, where should the downrigger be, 10' or 25'? This time of year I kind of ignore the FF and go shallow because I know the rainbows are going to be shallower due to water temps being down.

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2