Bassboy1 trailer tips article.

Trailer related issues and discussion goes here.
russ010

Post by russ010 » 20 Jul 2009, 23:32

Popeye wrote:Took my wife to the local exotic sports car dealership to practice backing the boat. The looks on the salemen's faces was priceless watching them watch her try to back up between a pair of Lamborghinis with me outside going, "No, not that way!!!!"
seriously?!?! I would have loved to see that

ben2go

Post by ben2go » 21 Jul 2009, 00:20

Popeye wrote:Took my wife to the local exotic sports car dealership to practice backing the boat. The looks on the salemen's faces was priceless watching them watch her try to back up between a pair of Lamborghinis with me outside going, "No, not that way!!!!"

I would have fell over laughing at the sales guys and manager.Did they not run outside and try to stop you two?

dougdad

Post by dougdad » 25 Jul 2009, 23:21

I USE MY DRIVE SIDE MIRROR MOST OF THE TIME AND LINE UP WITH THE DOCK IF THERE IS ONE. I FOUND A COUPLE OF SAFETY FLAGS FOR A BICYCLE WORK REAL GOOD TO KEEP TRACK OF THOSE SMALL BOATS THAT SEEM TO DISAPEAR BEHIND THE VEHICLE. SLOW AND SMALL MOVEMENTS WITH THE STEER WHEEL GETS ER DONE.
Just Fishen!!
USAF Retired.
LMNAHC

Popeye

Post by Popeye » 26 Jul 2009, 07:25

russ010 wrote:
seriously?!?! I would have loved to see that
Now I need a place for my wife to pratice backing up this thing. My favorite car dealer is closed. Maybe I'll go down by the Marina and we can practice backing between the yachts that are for sale.

The next time won't be the first time I've made the same mistake twice.
All the romance of fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.
Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet Soup?

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings » 26 Jul 2009, 10:04

How's that camper working out for you guys? Any long trips yet?
Image1652VT RoughneckImageCarrot Stix LTX

Popeye

Post by Popeye » 26 Jul 2009, 10:44

Jean and I went camping last weekend (my 4 day off weekend) to Castle Rock in SW Wiscoland. Here is a link to some of our pictures.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40740087@N ... 39/detail/

All the romance of fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings » 26 Jul 2009, 10:59

Nice scenerey, and I'm bettin' that camper is a whole lot better than sleeping on the ground in a tent. 8)

Popeye

Post by Popeye » 26 Jul 2009, 11:14

Yeah, for some reason that area has suffered from global hardening. The ground up there has gotten real hard in the past couple of years. :lol:

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings » 26 Jul 2009, 11:17

:lol:

countryboy210
Donor

Post by countryboy210 » 26 Jul 2009, 11:47

One Other Technique I Use While Backing Down The Ramp. . . No Reverse. Once I Get Going Down The Ramp, I Put It In Neutral. Why Have The Engine Pushing You And The Boat/Trailer Down The Ramp, Or Having To Hold That Much Harder On The Brakes To Not Go Towards The Lake So Fast? Use Gravity, Not The Engine.
BTW- I Also Use Mirrors And Don't Turn Around To Watch.

Popeye

Post by Popeye » 26 Jul 2009, 12:05

I saw a guy get a warning from a Lake County Sheriff's Deputy for backing down a ramp in neutral. Coasting on a downgrade is illegal in Illinois. Officer said it didn't matter if he was on a highway or public boat ramp. Of course it is also illegal to leave your vehicle unattended while the engine is running here too, but I don't shut off my motor when I am walking my boat down the pier to tie it up out of the way for the next guy either.

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings » 26 Jul 2009, 15:54

countryboy210 wrote:One Other Technique I Use While Backing Down The Ramp. . . No Reverse. Once I Get Going Down The Ramp, I Put It In Neutral. Why Have The Engine Pushing You And The Boat/Trailer Down The Ramp, Or Having To Hold That Much Harder On The Brakes To Not Go Towards The Lake So Fast? Use Gravity, Not The Engine. BTW- I Also Use Mirrors And Don't Turn Around To Watch.
First time I've heard of free-wheeling down the ramp in neutral. :shock: .

Popeye wrote:I saw a guy get a warning from a Lake County Sheriff's Deputy for backing down a ramp in neutral. Coasting on a downgrade is illegal in Illinois. Officer said it didn't matter if he was on a highway or public boat ramp. Of course it is also illegal to leave your vehicle unattended while the engine is running here too, but I don't shut off my motor when I am walking my boat down the pier to tie it up out of the way for the next guy either.
I normally leave mine running while I'm launching the boat, but will turn it off when loading, especially if I'm by myself and the only one loading that day.

Popeye

Post by Popeye » 26 Jul 2009, 16:50

Waterwings wrote:I normally leave mine running while I'm launching the boat, but will turn it off when loading, especially if I'm by myself and the only one loading that day.
I'm at the ramp less time when recovering the boat than I am when launching. Put the trailer in the water, drive the boat on to the trailer, shut off the motor and tilt it up, walk to the bow, hook the strap, jump off the boat and drive to the parking lot where I secure the boat, stow all my gear and wipe the boat down.

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings » 26 Jul 2009, 18:10

If I'm by myself my loading seems to take more time, as I'm usually able to get the boat fairly well up onto the trailer using the rear tm. Most often I don't get it all the way to the bow stop, so I crawl over the bow, get on the trailer, hook the winch strap to the bow eye, while sitting on the trailer's spare tire, then sit on the truck tailgate and crank the boat the rest of the way up. Then I drive it up the ramp, park in the designated area, and secure everything. I'm fairly fast at it, but still takes longer than launching.

The trailer spare tire makes a great seat, and does keep me from falling off the trailer when hooking-up the bow strap. :lol:

Popeye

Post by Popeye » 26 Jul 2009, 18:20

I use my main motor to power load and usually end up less than 6 inches from the bumper stop.