It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 18:37
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

“TheRescueStep”

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 21:15 
Donor

Joined: 05 Jul 2016, 11:51
Posts: 53
Location: Ohio
It looks like the keel rollers and side guides were added to the trailer. After comparing to a Load Rite I am thinkin of going back to just 1 bunk on each side. Pros or cons?


1966_Sea_King_1026.jpg
1966_Sea_King_1022.jpg
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 23:32 

Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 12:14
Posts: 4067
Location: Algonquin Il
I'd keep everything.
The side guides are great for retrieving your boat on a river with current or lakes with winds.



_________________
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2016, 08:57 
User avatar

Joined: 15 Mar 2014, 16:57
Posts: 1630
Location: CT
I would add bunks, but I'd set them so they can carry the boat and allow you to leave those rollers on there - otherwise you'll have to set them high & make certain launches difficult. With that 'V' to the bottom of your boat you run the chance of hitting one of the trailer crossmembers when loading.

I'd keep the side rollers for the same reasons previously mentioned. Why revert to a bare bones setup when you're already working with more?



_________________
2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - restoration posting coming soon w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp 2-Stroke & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v shared w/ my 14'


The way people should be
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2016, 09:28 
Donor

Joined: 05 Jul 2016, 11:51
Posts: 53
Location: Ohio
onthewater102 wrote:
I would add bunks, but I'd set them so they can carry the boat and allow you to leave those rollers on there - otherwise you'll have to set them high & make certain launches difficult. With that 'V' to the bottom of your boat you run the chance of hitting one of the trailer crossmembers when loading.

I'd keep the side rollers for the same reasons previously mentioned. Why revert to a bare bones setup when you're already working with more?


I am new to all this, figured I would ask. I have rollers down the keel and bunks on the side. I'll look to replace the rollers with new rubber and the bunks with new wood and carpet.


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2016, 10:01 
Donor
User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2014, 14:32
Posts: 1559
Location: New England
Like others, I'd leave as it. The keel is the spine or backbone of the boat, so it's good to have it supported. But like others have experienced here, rollers should not be the primary means of support in a tin hull, or you can encoutner problems and bending of the hull among other things.

What worked for me in the past, for a similar setup is that I put some 1/4" material temporarily over/on the bunks and put the boat on the trailer. Then I crawled under the trailer (blocked of course :wink: ) and adjusted the center rollers up against the keel tight. Then I removed that 1/4" material.

In this way, they, the rollers can still be used to guide the boat up the trailer when launching or retrieving, but the majority of the weight of the hull is being born by the bunks - which it should be. IIRC I read this tip in a boat trailer setup manual somewhere.



_________________
#1) 1st tin rebuild, 18' Lund viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36583
#2) 25' Parker refurb from EMPTY hull http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB3/vie ... p?f=15&t=6
#3) 16' V-tin rebuild viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36465
#4 Procraft SV14
#5) 16' Starcraft entirely NEW Transom Skins viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37548
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2016, 10:07 
Donor

Joined: 05 Jul 2016, 11:51
Posts: 53
Location: Ohio
DaleH wrote:
Like others, I'd leave as it. The keel is the spine or backbone of the boat, so it's good to have it supported. But like others have experienced here, rollers should not be the primary means of support in a tin hull, or you can encoutner problems and bending of the hull among other things.

What worked for me in the past, for a similar setup is that I put some 1/4" material temporarily over/on the bunks and put the boat on the trailer. Then I crawled under the trailer (blocked of course :wink: ) and adjusted the center rollers up against the keel tight. Then I removed that 1/4" material.

In this way, they, the rollers can still be used to guide the boat up the trailer when launching or retrieving, but the majority of the weight of the hull is being born by the bunks - which it should be. IIRC I read this tip in a boat trailer setup manual somewhere.


I am not sure I follow you here Dale. If you add 1/4" to the bunks and they raise the keel rollers, then remove the 1/4' on the bunks... won't the weight of boat be resting on the keel rollers?


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2016, 11:37 
Donor
User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2014, 14:32
Posts: 1559
Location: New England
weweber3 wrote:
If you add 1/4" to the bunks and they raise the keel rollers, then remove the 1/4' on the bunks... won't the weight of boat be resting on the keel rollers?

Yes, but only with 1/4" compression ... use something thinner if you want ... intent is for rollers to give some keel support, but to also have bunks bearing the load.



_________________
#1) 1st tin rebuild, 18' Lund viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36583
#2) 25' Parker refurb from EMPTY hull http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB3/vie ... p?f=15&t=6
#3) 16' V-tin rebuild viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36465
#4 Procraft SV14
#5) 16' Starcraft entirely NEW Transom Skins viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37548
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2016, 11:39 
Donor

Joined: 05 Jul 2016, 11:51
Posts: 53
Location: Ohio
I gotcha now, the roller rubber is gonna give a little and let the boat settle on the bunks. Wasn't thinking those rollers would give that much. Makes total sense now.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

cron
VinylImagesInc