It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 04:48
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

akmccallumco

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 4 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 09:07 

You got me on that one, Pappy. What are "NOS" pistons?

I think we are good on the wrist pins. There is no play whatsoever on them. I'll try to get those measurements today.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 12:07 

macawman wrote:
You got me on that one, Pappy. What are "NOS" pistons?

I think we are good on the wrist pins. There is no play whatsoever on them. I'll try to get those measurements today.
NewOldStock

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 16:45 

Thanks for the info, Nccatfisher.

Was hoping someone would tell me I'm full of crap about oversize bore and pistons are not available for this motor.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 17:17 
Donor

macawman wrote:
Was hoping someone would tell me I'm full of crap about oversize bore and pistons are not available for this motor.

Okay, if you insist, you are full of guano! :beer:
There were indeed .020 oversized pistons available for that engine.
I just happen to know where two are. PM me and I will talk to you and give you details of where to have the block bored and who and where to get the pistons from.
Am assuming there are rings with the pistons.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2018, 17:37 

Fantastic! Sometimes times I don't mind at all being proven full of it. Will pm you for details.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 09:49 

Thanks, Pappy.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 21:21 
Donor

macawman wrote:
Thanks, Pappy.

You are more than welcome! When you make the trip to get the pistons I think you will be glad you did.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 15:47 

The exhaust tube loading assembly tubes are supposed to be a straight through shot, right? No baffles or such?

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 22:22 
Donor

Exhaust tube loading assemblies? What is this part of which you speak?? :roll:
The exhaust tube is normally a straight through style if that is what you are asking.
I understand the search is still on for pistons?

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 22:54 

That should be exhaust loading tubes assembly. Both tubes are completely or near completely plugged up with carbon. It's packed solid and you can't see daylight thru either tube. They will have to be drilled out before I can do any serious cleaning, but want to make sure there is nothing inside the tubes that drilling would mess up.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 11:20 

It appears to be something similar in function to the upper air Silencer and loading tube assembly on the carb. Moog point now since I went ahead and drilled out the tubes last night. Got it cleaned out, but my .45 call bore brush is toast. Guess I will be going by Larry's today.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 14:28 

macawman wrote:
It appears to be something similar in function to the upper air Silencer and loading tube assembly on the carb. Moog point now since I went ahead and drilled out the tubes last night. Got it cleaned out, but my .45 call bore brush is toast. Guess I will be going by Larry's today.
That may have played a big part in it not running well along with the poor compression. It may have even ran a little longer like it was without the exhaust restrictions.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 17:26 

I'm wondering the same thing. Those tubes being plugged up would be the equivalent of the old "tater up the tail pipe" trick.

Question. If a new piston rings is squared up in the cylinder and the end gap is equal to the manufacturer's minimum gap, what does that say about the cylinder?

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 18:04 

macawman wrote:
I'm wondering the same thing. Those tubes being plugged up would be the equivalent of the old "tater up the tail pipe" trick.

Question. If a new piston rings is squared up in the cylinder and the end gap is equal to the manufacturer's minimum gap, what does that say about the cylinder?
Well, if your measurements I remember are all correct I believe you would be good to go.

I remember asking if you had a dial bore indicator and you said no, but how did you check for out of roundness?

I do remember that your pistons were out of spec. Also, you will have to deglaze those walls, you need to be measuring after you do that to get a good final number if you are planning on rebuilding back stock bore.

I am no expert but it the bore is in specs. I see no reason why not. BUT, I am no expert on these old motors. Pappy may know something or some reason they didn't do well without boring.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 19:49 

I measured the cylinders at 45 degree intervals around the cylinder and at 5 or 6 locations up and down the cylinder. Premitive, I know but the best I have at hand. I feel pretty good about the cylinders, but the pistons are another matter. The cylinder could be good, but the piston worn out because one is steel an the other is aluminum.

Given that the rods, bearings, pins and pistons all have to be changed whether the pistons standard or over sized, the single answer to all the questions is to bore it and be done with it.

Maybe I should see if I can find a machine shop that will measure the block and pistons for me.

Page 4 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next