It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 16:42
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

eaglelodgemaine

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2018, 16:23 

Anyone ever order outboard parts from www.nymarine.ca?

I ordered a new cowl gasket for my 1979 Evinrude Outboard. I paid the guy with my credit card and have not heard from him since. My emails are being bounced back to me as undeliverable. It's been about 5 days. I was skeptical about buying in the first place but he was the only place who had the gasket anywhere. I would have prefered to use my Paypal account but he does not use paypal. I saw the charge on my card so I know it went through. There are no other charges other than a "Foreign Account charge" because he is in Canada and I am in the USA. I am closely watching my account for other charges.

I was just wondering if anyone else has made any purchases from this place?

Minn-Kota Terrova 24V 80# Thrust Trolling Motor w/ I-pilot
2006 Dodge Durango SLT (Bright Blue) 4.7L Next Generation V8

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2018, 20:17 
Donor

I have purchased from nymarine several times over the last decade or so. Quite reputable on every order. Give it some time and I hope all is well with him.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2018, 20:37 

I've ordered decals... no problem.... it's a little bit old school but he's got stuff nobody else has...

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 15:17 

Well, I think I ticked him off. I was just trying to find out if he had shipped a cowl gasket I ordered. My emails kept getting rejected by a mail server. So I thought he had filtered or blocked my email. So I sent him an email on my back up email account and it went through because I got a response. He pretty much said I was clueless and had no patience. Also told me to take my business elsewhere. I didn't think I was cocky or anything. But I don't normally give out my credit card info through an email. He had no phone number to call that I could find. I would have prefered to pay by PayPal but he doesn't use that method. So I got a little worried when my emails were being sent back to me as undeliverable. Anyway, he did ship my gasket but he was not friendly.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 16:46 

jbird68 wrote:
Well, I think I ticked him off. I was just trying to find out if he had shipped a cowl gasket I ordered. My emails kept getting rejected by a mail server. So I thought he had filtered or blocked my email. So I sent him an email on my back up email account and it went through because I got a response. He pretty much said I was clueless and had no patience. Also told me to take my business elsewhere. I didn't think I was cocky or anything. But I don't normally give out my credit card info through an email. He had no phone number to call that I could find. I would have prefered to pay by PayPal but he doesn't use that method. So I got a little worried when my emails were being sent back to me as undeliverable. Anyway, he did ship my gasket but he was not friendly.

Sounds like he has a full time job and runs this business on the as he has time. Maybe like a hobby. Not necessarily a bad thing but he should recognize concerns like yours. I would have reacted the same way. Glad that he is legit and delivered.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 19:37 

LDUBS wrote:
jbird68 wrote:

Sounds like he has a full time job and runs this business on the as he has time. Maybe like a hobby. Not necessarily a bad thing but he should recognize concerns like yours. I would have reacted the same way. Glad that he is legit and delivered.
It's shipped but not delivered yet.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 16:47 

I ordered from them once and I talked to him first because I had some questions. I will pm you his contact info in case you need it.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 21:22 

Received the gasket today. Got it put on the cowl but I can't get the hood to fit on the motor. Maybe it's just new and needs to be broken in.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 21:59 
Donor

I am in need of a cowl gasket as well, and I am going to shop some auto parts stores and look at their selection of door edge guards. From what I have seen on line, looks like a few bucks will take care of what I need. I think there are some that are fairly flexible to make it's way around the cowl bottom.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 19:24 
Donor

Finally got to the point for the cowl gasket. First try was a u-channel rubber gasket from ebay for 7 bucks. It would have been perfect but was a bit fat at the bottom edge and the seal wouldn't fit when I lowered the cowl. My fault for not taking a measurement first.
Picked up a $4 set of 27" door edge guards at local Auto Zone and they worked perfect.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 16:55 
Donor

That looks great! Thanks for posting that.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 18:03 
Donor

I forgot to mention that I had to slightly rasp down the inside edge so the edge guard would slip on easier and make the turn in the corners. Took a couple of minutes.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 12:09 

Here is a side-by-side photo of the old gasket and the new gasket. You can see how thick the rubber is compared to the old one. Today, I ended up cutting the rib out so it would reduce the thickness. I got it on the motor and finally got the latch to lock. It still took some work to get that far. I am hoping that when the temperatures warm up it will soften and then for better. It still is not secured to the hood. Before I did that I wanted to let the rubber take a set to the new shape. I have no idea where to get a stapler that will go through the fiberglass and bend the staples back. Image

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 14:00 
Donor

The way that looks like it is made, the deep part goes on the cowl, and the other part fits around the metal lip on the base.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 14:47 

Here it is with the hood in place. ImageImage

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]