It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 20:12
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

SliderG5

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 2 stroke to a 4 stroke?
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 09:44 

I had a Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke on a previous boat, and a slightly older Yamaha 2 stroke on my last boat so a good comparison I think.
Well the 4 was quieter and had a very very smooth idol but was almost twice the cowling size, but the 2 stroke was a revvy little thing, light on the tingyness but amazing pick up and flat out speed.
I have to say I preferred the two stroke, mixing fuel is no drama and they are simple and reliable motors.

Although all motors will be 4 stroke soon, even chainsaws and the like.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 11:12 

Probably going to wait and see how I come out on taxes this year. Wish I could do like a car and try it out first LOL. The Suzuki has been out for awhile and seems to have proven itself where the Tahatsu is just now going to EFI so If all goes well I think I will go with the Suzuki. Thanks for the info. Jim

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 13:02 

In the older 2 strokes, 20hp usually share the same platform as 25 and 30 hp engines. In the newer 4 strokes it’s mostly
15-20 and 25-30 that share. You would probably not have much if any weight penalty. The new motors are nice. In your case, it’s a win. Quiet, smooth, fuel efficient. As for long term reliability, time will tell. The 1983 Johnson 35 that I run has few moving parts and simple electronics. Runs great and I trust it enough for interior camping/fishing trips in Canada. A new Suzuki 30 hp costs 6 grand and weighs 50 lbs more, so I’ll be sticking with the old one for a while. If I was running a 20 and not looking to upgrade power, I’d be taking a hard look at that Suzuki if there is a good dealer close to you. Happy fishing either way you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 14:20 

That's one of the things holding me back-no local dealer. If I go the new Suzuki route it will probably be with Online Outboards (Cumberland) and take my chances that nothing goes wrong. The normal maintenance I can handle I think but other than that I would just have to hope for the best.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 20:57 

The weight is a non-issue in all honesty. Guys are so afraid of 10 lbs it's just funny. BUT that said, watch the weights of the 4 stroke stuff because, well basically the newer the motor the lighter it is. Some of the older stuff are heavy pigs.

You won't see any decrease in top speed to speak of, at least not with a Tohatsu/Merc/Nissan. All the same motor, rebadged. I hate the way Mercury does that...can they not build their own small 4 stroke motor? Speaks volumes, in my opinion. Also, I am told that a new 15 and 20 Yamaha will be introduced at some point. They're secretive. Could be tomorrow. Could be 5 years from now. The current 15/20 are the same exact motor with minor differences making up the 5hp, same weight everything. Great motor. Sold hundreds, never seen one back for anything but an oil change or carb cleaning (sitting without use for long length of time).

Yes, with a 4 stroke, 3 gallons lasts a LONG time. I have a 25 and I've yet to run 3 gallons of fuel through it in the 6 years I've owned it. Not on a single outing anyway. I have run as far as about 22 miles upriver, full throttle 99% of the time, drift back, do it again and after loading, was down about 2 gallons (1 gal left). Pretty impressed with the lack of fuel usage.

Maintenance is no big deal. Beats forgetting to premix for sure; along with the other perks of the 4 stroke stuff.

There was a long post about Suzuki on this forum. Might search for it....that poster and several others locally have NOT been impressed with them. And locally, zero support for 'em. One dealer in the entire state and they may not even deal with them now.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 21:59 

My 50/35 Tohatsu jet 2 stroke outboard weighs 192 pounds. A Mercury, 4 stroke 40/29 weighs 267 pounds. A 70 pound difference is quite a bit and a loss of an extra 6 hp made it a no brainer for me to choose the 2 stroke.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 01:00 

My 25 HP Mercury four stroke with elect start and PT&T weighs in at 180#. I think that is kind of heavy. Fuel usage is decent. I can run 3 - 4 miles, troll for hours, and run back on well under 2 gallons. With my boat, I don't think I could make the 22 mile upriver runs like TurboTodd, but the fuel economy is still pretty darn good.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 11:46 

The new Mercury 20 hp lightest advertised weight is 99 lbs. I'm wondering if that much of a weight savings would affect the 5 hp difference between the 20 hp and the 25 hp??????

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 19:11 

crappie777 wrote:
The new Mercury 20 hp lightest advertised weight is 99 lbs. I'm wondering if that much of a weight savings would affect the 5 hp difference between the 20 hp and the 25 hp??????

Interesting question. You gain 5 HP and 80 pounds. I don't know. Maybe as long as the power to weight ratio is better you are ahead of the game. Other than that, I wouldn't even begin to know how to figure something like this.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 21:38 

The Mercury sounds interesting and the dealers are all over. I wonder when they will be available? Tahatsu or Suzuki will probably still get my business because if I buy on line I will end up doing all the service myself anyway. No dealer around here will touch it if I don't buy from them. Cant blame them but I can save a lot of money ordering it and I don't mind doing the service work. Everything around my area is full retail because of or last oil boom. Dealers don't care that we all don't have Oil jobs because a lot do LOL.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 00:52 

Well, for whatever it is worth and as already said, Tohatsu makes the smaller HP outboards for Mercury and Nissan. They seem to have a decent rep.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 12:00 

I may get a 4 stroke once the new lighter ones make it to the used market but for now old 2 strokes are fine. They seem to last forever and they weigh 60 lbs or so less.

14 ft Lone Star w/15hp Evinrude sold

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 22:56 

I cant find his posts on that motor but seem to remember some kind of problem? Pretty sure all companies have a problem now and then. Just have to hope they stand behind there product. The Suzuki has been out for a few years was my thinking and this I think is the first year for the Tahatsu.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 00:36 

nytebyte wrote:
I cant find his posts on that motor but seem to remember some kind of problem? Pretty sure all companies have a problem now and then. Just have to hope they stand behind there product. The Suzuki has been out for a few years was my thinking and this I think is the first year for the Tahatsu.

I am probably misunderstanding what you are saying, but Tohatsu has been producing outboards for quite a while. I'm not pushing them over another brand. I don't have near the experience to do that. LOL

The amount of joint venturing is kind of crazy. At one point a while back Yamaha was making major components for Mercury and I see that Honda will produce higher HP outboards for Tohatsu.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 10:11 

What I meant was the Suzuki has had the fuel injection for a few year and I think this is the first year for Tahatsu. I wouldn't think they would put it out on the market without feeling they have it right but without a close dealer the Suzuki has proven themselves where this is new on the small Tahatsu near as I know.

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next