It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 21:04
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

AirboatCoatings

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Mercury 200
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2017, 14:49 

tasthree wrote:
Well I went to drain the lower unit oil today and nothing but 1/4 cup of water came out. Don't know if the oil was drained out in the past for some reason or if it leaked out a bad seal. I was going to take the lower unit off anyway to change the impeller. Guess I'll be doing a leak test and go form there. Any suggestions?
If nothing but water came out I would go ahead and pull it apart and do an inspection. That water in there on bearings has done damage how much you won't know to you look. Running it to it fails you can count on it doing more damage, possible with parts that are hard or next to impossible to replace.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2017, 22:10 
Donor

How about, before you pull it apart, you pressurize the LU (Lower Unit) with a bit of pressure and have some soap around the shift shaft seal, the driveshaft seal, and the propshaft seal and o-ring areas? Save you some time locating the leak. Once found, go from there.
How much pressure? 3-5psi should be more than enough. You should close off the lower drain hole and use the upper one for the test. All fluids should be drained.
The reason I suggested you purchase ignition parts is that old coils will typically run for a short time then arc to ground when they warm up. I choose peace of mind when bringing an old engine back into service rather than a cross your fingers approach.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 00:18 

Started some digging into this thing. Did a compression test first to make sure I wasn't sinking time into a dud. Got 115psi on both cyl. Took lower unit and upper half of the water pump off. I had a brake bleeder so I did a vacuum test. I could hear air sucking on the top shaft seal. pulled the bottom half of the pump housing. Saw some rust on part of the bearing cage. Going to have to dissasemble it. But. After the compression test I reinstalled the plugs. I then had the wife see if she could pull it. I don't think she would be able to start it in case of a emergency on the water. Heck I've enough health issues I might not either. She gave me the green light to find a ele start motor. I really like the looks of this motor on the boat. So I'm still going to proceed onwards with it while I look for a 90's or so ele/pull start 15hp two stroke motor. Anyone know of a good write up on a lower unit rebuild. With good instructions I'm not afraid to do such a thing.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 12:20 

tasthree wrote:
Started some digging into this thing. Did a compression test first to make sure I wasn't sinking time into a dud. Got 115psi on both cyl. Took lower unit and upper half of the water pump off. I had a brake bleeder so I did a vacuum test. I could hear air sucking on the top shaft seal. pulled the bottom half of the pump housing. Saw some rust on part of the bearing cage. Going to have to dissasemble it. But. After the compression test I reinstalled the plugs. I then had the wife see if she could pull it. I don't think she would be able to start it in case of a emergency on the water. Heck I've enough health issues I might not either. She gave me the green light to find a ele start motor. I really like the looks of this motor on the boat. So I'm still going to proceed onwards with it while I look for a 90's or so ele/pull start 15hp two stroke motor. Anyone know of a good write up on a lower unit rebuild. With good instructions I'm not afraid to do such a thing.
Yeah, service manuals have them.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 12:36 

There's a guy in Sanford who always has small outboards on craigslist. Which part of the state are you in. There's another guy near Mt Airy, aka Mayberry.

14 ft Lone Star w/15hp Evinrude sold

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 13:21 

I got the lower unit apart. All the gears and all the bearing but the top one are in good shape. Going to order a new bearing, seal kit and impeller for it. I guess at this age it could use some TLC weather I use it or not.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 13:41 

Pappy. I appreciate the advice. But. Sometimes new doesn't equate to proper function. A long story short. I rebuit a 140 Evinrude over 30ys ago in which I installed new coils. It ran fine test running it with the flush attachment. Launched the boat. Idled fine. Tried putting some power to it on the water and it started breaking up. Pulled boat out and went over things. Did this many times over a period of time. I was just about to tear back into the motor when I thought about running it at night. Turns out one of the new coils was arching out. Replace it and the motor ran fine. As a DIY that bad new coil just about drove me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong. These coils for this motor seem to be expensive so I'll have to procede carefully on the expenses. I could sink more into two of those than what I paid for the whole package.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 13:44 

water bouy. I'm in Franklin. The western part of the state. In the mountains.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2017, 21:25 

Just wanted to update and finish off this as a successful thread. I've been working on others things while waiting on parts. Redid the transom on the boat. I cleaned and painted the trailer, rewired it including new lights, put new skids on the bunks, new winch cable, put new wheels and tires on it. I tore apart the LU. Put a new bearing in, new inpeller and all new seals. Got the LU back on, new condensers installed, set the like new points, new fuel line on, the carb and fuel pump rebuilt. Rigged it up on a stand with a water tub. With reserved anticipation I started pulling on it. After about a hand full of pulls it fired right up. Wahoo. Let it run for about five seconds and twisted it down to idle and it runs purrrrfectly. It shifted into gears good and had good flow out the pisser. I can hardly believe how well it runs after sitting for who knows how long. The boats last registration ran out in 2000. I'm a very happy camper. Thanks for all your advice and what not. Now to finish rigging up the boat, get my numbers. sticker and hope for some nice weather to get it on the water.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2017, 19:22 

Those were good surprisingly strong motors. Glad you got it up and running.

I had a friend that dumped one over the transom of a boat in a local river. It sat on the bottom from Nov. to April when he decided to finally come clean and tell a couple of us about it. We got a couple boats up and decided to go on a recovery mission. Now this is a pretty decent sized river that is bad for flooding in the winter and silts in also. I really thought the chance of recovery was slim.

The water temps were darn cool when we were doing this and we got to were he said he lost it. We were diving and trying to find it and had made some drags. It was in about 10' of water. Of course there were the normal snags etc to be found but somehow we located it and got it up.

We did have the good sense to take it straight home drain all the fluids pull the plugs etc clean it and blow out the cyls. sprayed the cylinders with light oil, cleaned the carb and new LU oil. After drying the points and cleaning them we didn't pull that motor 5 times and it fired right up. It ran another 20 years to he gave it to his son. I lost track of it then.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 10:34 

tasthree wrote:
fuel pump rebuilt.

tasthree,

Do you happen to know the part number for the diaphragm you used?

I have a 1967 Mercury 200 (20hp) which needs the diaphragm replaced.
As far as I can see 31503A1 should be it, however the outside profile is different & does not work.
Mine is is simply rectangular.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 38.23 KiB | Viewed 430 times ]

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2017, 21:40 

kdgrills. Sorry been busy and haven't checked this thread so I didn't see your reply. Mine is different than the picture you posted. It's only three bolt holes that is kind of round on the bottom and squared off on the top. On my parts list it is kit #23014A1. I don't remember if it was superseded by another #.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2017, 21:45 

nccatfisher. That's a pretty crazy story. Goes to show you that it never hurts to try. Also a good reminder to make shure the motor mount screws are good and tight. This will be my first tiller motor I've ever had.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 11:03 

tasthree wrote:
kdgrills. Sorry been busy and haven't checked this thread so I didn't see your reply. Mine is different than the picture you posted. It's only three bolt holes that is kind of round on the bottom and squared off on the top. On my parts list it is kit #23014A1. I don't remember if it was superseded by another #.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered a sheet of 1/64" thick rubber & some gasket material.
Probably have enough material to make 10 of them now, for cheaper than one kit costs.

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2