It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 03:09
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

akmccallumco

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 10:38 

One problem I ran into with a 1992 Boston Whaler Rage with the Yamaha 650 motor was the weak battery cooked the points in the solenoid so trying to start it was a crapshoot. It took me a while to diagnose what was wrong. Nothing worse then turning the key and getting the dreaded click, click. I'm not sure if a weak battery could affect the electrical while running, but if the key is in the running position, I would think it's trying to power all the accessories and run the engine would could possibly lead to a power shortage somewhere.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 21:11 

lovedr79 wrote:
I can tell you for a fact that a 1971 Honda SL70 with battery and kick start will not run without a battery. I do not know all of the specifics of the OP's OB. More importantly is what has the OP done since they started this thread.

That SL has a battery excited field and the ignition runs off this type of charging system. Once its started it will run with no battery.

Some charging systems have a voltage regulator in parallel with the battery. Anything over 13.4dc or something gets dumped to ground. If no battery the regulator dumps all to ground.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 13:45 

OMG you guys I am so sorry I fell off the face of the freaking earth. Long story and maybe we talk about it some other time.

Back to the boat. I put my charger on the battery and it's this digital kind of charger from Craftman. It charged the rest of that day, all night and most of the next day until I took the charger off the terminals and charged a different battery to see if my charger was bad. It charged the second battery so I put it back on my first battery. Now... It charged the rest of the day again, over night again and that morning it said it was at 90% charge and I unplugged it. I have not had a chance to get it back on the lake to see if it's running correctly.

The guy I had do the carbs says he tested it under load and it ran fine. I could try just running it on the ear muffs and see if it does it.

I'm so sorry it has taken me this long to get back to you guys... Great bikes though. LOL...

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3