It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 17:04
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

RazorBaits

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 22:21 

Quick question, this prop has a nice sized ding in it, am I losing any significant performance from it? It's on a 88 Johnson 9.9.…. On a 14ft v hull that will push me about 14/15 mph. I'm just wondering if replacing it is worth itImage

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 08:05 

Any damage to the prop will cause a reduction in performance. How much depends on how damaged the prop is. In your case that would be minor damage to me. Myself, I would change it but I am a stickler for having things right. I know with damage on one blade the other blade or blades are working harder. Weight taken out of that blade also causes it to be out of balance causing the shaft seal to wear faster and the gearing in the foot to have more wear.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 10:51 

KMixson wrote:
Any damage to the prop will cause a reduction in performance. How much depends on how damaged the prop is. In your case that would be minor damage to me. Myself, I would change it but I am a stickler for having things right. I know with damage on one blade the other blade or blades are working harder. Weight taken out of that blade also causes it to be out of balance causing the shaft seal to wear faster and the gearing in the foot to have more wear.

Personally I would change it for the balance issue. Most of the inshore waters by me have large oyster reefs and depending on the tide they can be troublesome. I have seen guys driving with worse props than yours.

2001 16' Lund 25 Yamaha ... SOLD
various sailboats

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 15:35 
Donor

I'd blend/smooth it as best you could using crocus cloth/metal paper on a hardwood block, never a file.

If you need to run higher RPMs all the time, then I'd probably look for a new one. But I've run some as bad and never had any issues.

#1) 1st tin rebuild, 18' Lund viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36583
#2) 25' Parker refurb from EMPTY hull http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB3/vie ... p?f=15&t=6
#3) 16' V-tin rebuild viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36465
#4 Procraft SV14
#5) 16' Starcraft entirely NEW Transom Skins viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37548

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 19:53 

Personally I would change it for the balance issue. Most of the inshore waters by me have large oyster reefs and depending on the tide they can be troublesome. I have seen guys driving with worse props than yours.[/quote]

All to familiar with the oysters, used to boat quite a bit in SE NC around little river/calabash.... Terrible there, eat up the prop on a 25 I had twice. I'm in Nebraska now mainly on no wake lakes.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]