It is currently 21 Jul 2018, 17:21
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

mud-skipper

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2016, 14:13 

Again,it's not about that,I'm looking for people with experience with this particular outboard to see if any other people change them as a routine maintenance thing or is it a if it fails type of deal then worry about it. I rather leave it alone if I know it really doesn't have to be changed. I just want reassurance that it doesn't have to be changed unless it fails. I have fear of breaking bolts,that is my biggest issue or I would of changed it already,but if someone with this motor tells me different that actually owns or works on these then I won't mess with it. Nothing wrong with being over cautious about something imo.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2016, 15:02 

Have had this gasket fail on a 93 20hp merc luckily it was an external leak.Not sure why it failed not corroded and was never overheated.Same problem with a newer yamaha mating surfaces perfect but break in gasket.How would one detect an internal leak?excessive steam?rough running?washed piston crown or plug?powerhead damaged by that point?So yes change the gasket the merc ones are cheap.Be gentle when removing bolts as you probably already know use a small wrench and if you suspect one is frozen drill the head off.Once the manifold is off you can apply heat and penetrating fluid.Weld a nut or use vice-grips to remove remaining bolt.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2016, 17:47 

Ty,someone with an honest reasonable non sarcastic answer. Here is what I know about this engine. I got it around 8 months ago,I replaced nearly everything I believed to be a maintenance priority. So,I believe everything on the motor to be original except the impeller and someone decided it was a good idea to run it without the thermostat in it. So,I checked compression first of course, 120 lbs on both cylinders which you can't get any better,here is a list on all I replaced less than 4 months ago, 2 brand new coils,2 brand new wires,2 new plugs,new thermostat and gasket,new line from thermostat to pee hole, new complete water pump, I mean impeller, gaskets, washers, key, housing, metal plate,everything, new synthetic lower unit oil and drain plugs with gaskets, carb cleaned spotless as well as a complete rebuild of all new parts, brand new fuel assembly including filter and gas lines, brand new fuel tank and line, prop and pull cord. So this motor is in A 1 running condition and no signs of any water intrusion on the plugs or under the cowling but again it's a 24yr old outboard and I don't know how it was cared for in the past,so knowing all this info now and how great it runs should I go that step further to replace those 2 gaskets or leave good enough alone???? I also use non ethanol fuel with ring free and lucus fuel conditioner, the green stuff from Walmart and it seems to work great. I just don't want to mess with it if that particular gasket will continue to hold up. Owner claimed it has less than 25hrs of freshwater use as it sat in a barn most of it's life but it runs I mean like a rapped ape,powerful and fast. Taking 9 bolts out I guess just makes me nervous if I really don't have to,I could just run it and keep an eye on it to. If I do decide to replace them do I need any special gasket sealer or just replace them both and done? Now what do u think????

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2016, 09:07 
Donor

Scoob - upon changing the head gasket on my '79 Johnson,
the replacement gasket was something I had never seen before.....
it had a very slick feeling like wax or silicone.... years before,
they were just the plain gray dry gaskets that you applied sealer with.
I called the distributor and he said that with the "new and improved" gaskets
that feel like wax or silicone, you should not use any type of sealer.
the new ones are "self sealing" . . . as he explained it to me.
I guess if you decided to go this route, go ahead and purchase the gaskets
just to have in your parts box.... then, you can come back here and ask about sealeants.
again, the two mating surfaces should be spotless clean and honed on glass or tabletop
hope that helps.

Paint, Thinners and Applications = http://www.paintingforpainters.com/

1959 Crestliner Commodore 14'
1959 Lone Star Malibu 14'
1958 Johnson 35 RDE-19 Sea Horse
1958 Johnson 35 RDS-20 Super Sea Horse

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2016, 11:19 

I ordered the gaskets and 4 extra bolts just as a pre caution just in case I broke some off by replacing them. I still haven't completely decided yet if I'm going to mess with it,I may leave it as a if it works great,no leaks then don't mess with it if it ain't broke method,lol. No sign of water intrusion or wet plugs or anything of the sought but I just figured 24yr old outboard maybe it should be changed but I'm not quite sure yet. It runs flawlessly so I may just run it all fall and winter here in fl to spring then when it gets to hot in summer I will work on it just in case I did snap a bolt I don't mind it sitting because I hate fishing in heat so I could let it sit with no issues and take my time getting the snapped bolts off,but that is all speculation, all 9 bolts may come off like butter. Everything on this motor looks mostly original as far as exhaust manifold gasket because the bolts are undisturbed, I may just leave good enough alone as it's help up this long,like I said if I do it,it won't be till after next late spring anyways.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2016, 13:06 

I talked to someone about this who owned his own shop and said he personally had worked on these outboards allot along with tons more of course and I asked him what he thought, he said he has never personally seen one fail in his lifetime and shouldn't unless owner neglect comes into play. He said just leave it be if it runs flawlessly no matter how old she is and if you want peace of mind just pull the bottom plug once a mth to Check for any water on the plug,that would be a good indication of a failed gasket usually,he went on to say he would bet the original gaskets would last for the rest of the time I own it and so on till it's retired. He said don't worry and just enjoy without panic. Works for me,just for peace of mind I will check the lower plug once a month,there is no problems with this outboard and I plan to keep it that way. Case closed, I will leave it be. I at least have the gaskets on hand if it does act up. Thanks to all for the helpful info.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 16:04 

muddywaders wrote:
Have had this gasket fail on a 93 20hp merc luckily it was an external leak.Not sure why it failed not corroded and was never overheated.Same problem with a newer yamaha mating surfaces perfect but break in gasket.How would one detect an internal leak?excessive steam?rough running?washed piston crown or plug?powerhead damaged by that point?So yes change the gasket the merc ones are cheap.Be gentle when removing bolts as you probably already know use a small wrench and if you suspect one is frozen drill the head off.Once the manifold is off you can apply heat and penetrating fluid.Weld a nut or use vice-grips to remove remaining bolt.

If I decide to do this do I install the gaskets dry with no sealant of any kind????

2. When re installing the 9 bolts do I put a dab of grease on them to make it easier to go back in and so they don't seize up?????

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2