It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 17:17
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

akmccallumco

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 12:18 

I'd keep the newer Merc which will run circles around the 93 Merc.
Compression on the newer Merc should be 145 +

Because Those That Mind ....Don't Matter
And Those Who Matter....Don't Mind

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 20:16 

So what was the question, again?

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2016, 02:11 

I have had without doubt sold near 10 of these in the past say 8yrs or so but none in near pristine as these that is why i never kept one.I'm so picky when it comes to condition/someone who thinks their motor is perfect to me may look just ok.These motors are near flawless.Iv'e had real close but not like these and i have never seen one with higher compression then around 125 give or take a few lbs.I have seen over 100 of them on youtube that the average compression taken was only 110-125 and that is on low or high hr outboards.I may have to call merc on this one because both these mercs flat out get it and the 02 has dead even 115lbs on both and the 93 has 120lbs dead even on both.

The 93 imo is almost as powerful as the 02,maybe,i mean maybe a hair less torque but the difference in speed is like a mph to 1.5mph,that's it.If i put a 25hp carb on the 93 i can just tell it will smoke the 02.The 93 has so much power it's not funny.It should not be able to get over 1000lbs going at near 29mph at least imo,i could be wrong but i have never had or seen a 20hp perform like this with just the standard 13 pitch prop.The thing to me is longevity as i'm not worried about a mph or that as of now anyways.I'm slowly leaning towards the 93 for now or getting the 25hp 4stroke suzuki.It just seems like mercury had a perfect thing going with the original power head and then changed it for the worse if you research it.Not that the mercsoil is junk it's just more prone to issues if not taken special care of and most don't take care of their outboards like they should.This motor has made it over 20yrs so that is saying something even know it has very light hrs it still runs like a rapped ape.I also like the design of the older merc better. Either is so easy to work on and simple to maintain.I also use full synthetic oil in my pre mix which i'm sure helps lubricate somewhat.

I fell in love with that 93 when i first saw it,it is so clean,it's like new.I also cleaned both of them up to as they had some dirt and grime on them.The 02 hadn't been fired up for 14yrs before i went and picked the boat up.He had some old gas,about a yr old and it fired up in 2 pulls as i looked in shock.The man has never touched this outboard.The on engine fuel filter has like a half inch of gunk in it but thank God the filter did it's job and kept all that crap out,you would think the carb was all gummed up,etc...,Nope,i took it to the lake and let her rip and it didn't even hesitate a bit.Ran it for over an hr and the system is clean and ready to go now.I ran double oil through it and a can of seafoam and it ran as smooth as silk.the main reason to keep the 25 is i have 25hp there already and no carb needed,but i love that 20hp look and the paint is flawless except the cowling needs a touch up in the fall.The rubber seal around the cowling is near perfect as you never see that as they are always ripped.I love to have that new suzuki 20 or 25 but it's near $2500 for one and $3k for the other and both of these were near $1k,that is a huge difference,lol.Plus i have 6 gallons of full synthetic oil i paid for so i'm good for yrs.

I am going to sit down,put all 4 engines on a piece of paper and i have to just do pros and cons,then flip a coin. Sometimes i wish i didn't find 2 in this type of shape and my decision would be much easier. Finding 2 mercs in this condition is like hitting the lottery,just doesn't happen more than once that is why i'm weighing my decision very carefully.I can find 25hp 2stroke yamaha's all day in mint condition but try to find a merc and forget it. i had a chance to get a brand new 25hp sea pro merc yrs ago which is the 25hp tohatsu/nissan model but i never had enough money and just a couple yrs ago the guy stopped getting them in from Canada and i wanted one so bad and lost out. Imo i think the 25hp mercs are the most powerful in their class and near bulletproof that i have ever seen.When i read the mercsoil vs nikasil articles and posts all over the net i was in shock what i had read because i have never heard of bad luck with these mercs.I just don't understand why merc would take a great power head that is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt and alter it to try and make it better if it was bulletproof from the get go,that just makes no sense.Can't get much better than bulletproof.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2016, 02:12 

dahut wrote:
So what was the question, again?

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

No real question here,just need help deciding on what to do.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2016, 21:55 

Buy the Suzuki and let us know how it compares.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2016, 05:49 

Whats the max the hulls rated for? Sell these two for top dollar and get the max with T&T. You will never have to run it hard and it will probably last forever.

My $.02.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 19:59 

I'm going to keep the 93 merc.It is just such a sweet outboard that i can't part with it.I am going to upgrade to the 25hp carb when i sell my other merc then just fly with that and in the future go with the 25hp suzuki.The boat is rated for a 35 and no one makes a 35 new anymore and a 30 would be pointless since the 25 would do just as good a job being a 2 stroke. I would put this 93 20hp when i install the 25hp carb against any non modified 25 and i bet it would smoke it.Mine is just a de tuned 25hp so it really wouldn't be modified because i'm running it as a 25hp then like it should be.I have ran 25hp yamaha's,suzuki's,tohatsu's,evinrude and johnson and for a non modified outboard there isn't a more powerful engine then these 25hp mercs.All the engines i mentioned are are great to and just as reliable,i'm talking just power vs power.I don't know what it is about these mercs but man they have some insane get up and wot.Could possibly be the 2.25 gear ratio which gives it more torque then any 25hp 2 stroke out there.
With me in the stern of the boat it takes a couple seconds to get on plane but i weigh near 300lbs,i get over 30mph with 1000+lbs in the boat.With my buddy in the back and he's 140lbs and with a 200lb middle seat person he gets on plane so fast he has to hold on to the seat or he will fly over the back,lol.He didn't believe how much torque this motor had and gps with him in the back and me off is over 32mph which is insane speeds on a jon boat.Now it could be a motor by motor basis on which is more powerful or not,could be the way it was broke in,could be so many different things why some of the same hp engines are more powerful then others.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 09:40 

The only difference between the 93 20hp and 25hp was the carb...it isn't like a Johnson/Evinrude where they had different intake plenums that needed to be swapped along & others that have different exhaust ports etc...mercury just built a 25hp and then slapped a restricted carb on it & lowered the WOT RPM rating (because it would be running too lean with the reduced fuel/oil supply from the smaller carb) and called it a 20hp.

Take your serial # and pull up the parts schematic on any website that uses OEM diagrams (marineengine.com, boats.net etc.) and you'll see what I'm talking about if you haven't already.

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 09:52 

onthewater102 wrote:
..it isn't like a Johnson/Evinrude where they had different intake plenums that needed to be swapped along & others that have different exhaust ports etc...mercury just built a 25hp and then slapped a restricted carb on it & lowered the WOT RPM rating.

That's not all Mercury just slaps on. I hate them so bad I can't even bring myself to doing anything but speed reading a thread like this. I got to the word "slapped" and that summed it up for me. I had a 20 and a 25 merc.
They are the harbor freight tools of outboards. So may say more like a Lamborgini but do you know how much work and money it takes to keep a lambo running? I'd get rid of those yesterday.

Arizona

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 12:03 

I haven't had any issues with mine that I didn't cause (converting it from tiller to remote, putting it on a narrow & relatively heavy boat etc.) and mine's a 1984 early production of the 86-90 XD line.

I heard they had a reputation for being more of an old-timer/ grease-monkey motor - if you can adjust it as you need to you'll be fine but if you need to have it serviced for every little thing it'll get pricey quick. I haven't seen that with mine. I tuned it once (timing, carb etc.) when I swapped the 20hp carb to the 25hp and haven't had to monkey with it at all. I use it in the 95 degree heat of summer and in the dead of winter when it's 25 out before the ice comes. Starts quickly and effortlessly no matter what. I do adhere to the maintenance routine for it - perhaps people let theirs go & create problems for themselves, or maybe they play around with them thinking they know what they're doing and don't have the proper tooling or FSM to know the adjustments they need and they get a bad rep?

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 07:41 

That's not all Mercury just slaps on. I hate them so bad I can't even bring myself to doing anything but speed reading a thread like this. I got to the word "slapped" and that summed it up for me. I had a 20 and a 25 merc.
They are the harbor freight tools of outboards. So may say more like a Lamborgini but do you know how much work and money it takes to keep a lambo running? I'd get rid of those yesterday.[/quote]

That couldn't be further from the truth. Those 25hp mercs or any merc I have ever owned has been down right bulletproof. If you had any issues then it's either from the last owners who obviously neglected the maintenance on them or if new wasn't taken care of properly. Saying they are harbor freight of outboards is lack of knowledge about mercs. Just because you or anyone has bad experiences with a particular manufacturer of outboards does not make them crap. I have had nothing but issues with johnson\evinrude outboards but that doesn't make them harbor freight of tools. I bet I will run this merc for the next 10 yrs no issues, just maintenance. Keep in mind it's also 24yr old so that just neglected your statement of harbor freight tools,lol. I have owned every major manufacturer of outboards and these older mercs are just the best for power,plus reliability is second to none. Any 2 stroke whether merc,Tohatsu, yamaha,etc... only needs spark,water,fuel and compression to run,other than that nothing else major usually goes wrong,key word is usually unless owner neglect that I see is the issue 90% of the time. Any outboard will usually run forever if properly taken care of.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 07:52 

Onthewater102,you just summed it up with one line,owner neglect and messing with things on the outboard when they have no idea what their doing. These mercs are so easy to fix a monkey could do 90% of any repairs with a book. Carb takes minutes to take off,water pump takes minutes, I did all my maintenance work to mine that I felt it needed for after 24yr and it cost less than $200 in parts. I redid anything that could get brittle or rot out from 24yr as it should be done. Other than that it runs like a brand new outboard. All I need now is the 25hp carb and fall time I'm going to repaint the whole motor because I want to get it looking in showroom condition. A little prep and some phantom black paint and she will look and run as good as ever.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 12:36 

Scoobeb I think you made a good choice.The 20/25 Mercury 2-stroke must be considered the best 25hp outboard of all-time.There are other motors in this weight range(120lbs) that make more power; the OMCs,Seapro/Tohatsu and Mariner/Yamaha cv 25/30hp but with more displacement.The Merc makes more hp per cubic inch than anything.The blind-bore design(no head gasket failures!)combined with a super tough lower unit and durable impeller has made it a favorite among duck hunters for decades.I have no doubt that if still available the 2-stroke would outsell the 20hp Tohatsu.There is a Suzuki dealer in my area and although their bigger motors have a good reputation nobody is buying the new 25/30hp despite the warranty.It could be the price tag or the fact its a relatively new design scaring people off.The new efi motor weighs the same as a 3cyl Yamaha 30hp 2-stroke a motor that will blow away the Honda,Tohatsu 30hp as well as Yamaha 4-strokes.If the new Zuke has as much torque as the 3cyl Yamaha and offers much better fuel economy it would be my first choice.Scoobeb I was hoping you would buy the new Suzuki so I could get a comparison.Please post the results of your carb swap. m.w.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 21:23 

I will absolutely let you know what kind of performance difference I see with the carb swap. The merc sea pro and Tohatsu and nissan are exactly the same engine made by Tohatsu and as you said way bigger CCs. I believe they are 440 CCs compared to the mercs 400CCs. I'm telling you my 93 merc is just insane with power and with just me in the back and my 75lb daughter today so near 800 lbs give or take a bit we hit 30mph with the 20hp carb never the less. I can't even imagine how much more torque and top end the 25hp carb will give us. Imo the torque alone is worth the switch.

Also I have owned the 25hp efi Suzuki but never ran it on the water because I sold it due to wanting the 20hp instead and it ran beautiful in my test tank,smooth as silk and it was just an amazing looking outboard, the technology was insane on it. Light to for a 3 cylinder outboard,136lbs.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 21:29 

I guarantee if I keep this merc it will outlive us and still be going strong especially the way I take care of it.

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next