It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 04:01
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

SwampRunner

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 20:19 

Joined: 31 May 2016, 17:41
Posts: 5
In my last post I detailed issues of me getting the motor started. Since then I was able to get it started by spraying a little bit of fuel on the carbs before attempting to start the engine. So I thought that was the end of my troubles. Sadly, it was only the beginning.

After having that initial success of getting it started, I decided to take it out on the water and give it a little test run. Found out right away that the reverse wasn't working. Figured it wasn't that big of a deal and that I would look into it later. Then I proceeded to cruise at various speeds, giving the motor a nice little working. About 10 minutes after leaving the landing, while at full throttle, the motor revved itself, flung itself up, and died in a matter of about 2 seconds. After unsuccessfully attempting to restart the engine, I had to get towed back to the landing.

So back to square one I thought. I chose to tackle the problem of the motor not even starting first. Figured it was a battery connection problem this time. I was correct. Some corrosion on the tip of the connector was to blame. So I fixed that and after an ample spraying of fuel on the carbs, it appeared we were back in business. For the next 45 minutes I ran the motor in my driveway at varying speeds. The whole time it sounded great and didn't die once. I thought to myself everything was good to go again! Sadly, I thought wrong again.

This time when I took it out, I barely lasted 3
minutes. I was just getting up to speed when the motor revved, trimmed itself up and over the trandom, and died. I immediately tried to restart it and this time it did successfully come back to life. Only problem this time was that I had zero prop movement. The prop wasnt spinning as I throttled up and down. And just like that, I needed another tow back to the landing.

After doing some research, I concluded that my problem was with my clutch dog. Wanting to get to that to check it out, I took off my lower unit and attempted to get through to it. I was unable to dissassemble the bearing cover and housing from the prop shaft. Not knowing what I was doing, I also completely disassembled the water pump and impeller. After not being successful in removing the bearing cover, I decided to just reassemble everything and see how it runs. I reassembled everything and also put new gear oil in the lower unit. I put the lower unit back on and fired her up.

To my dismay, now my shift shaft isn't moving as I shift gears and my motor is no longer peeing. It seems I have created more problems for myself. I'm at the point where I think I need to get this thing looked at by a professional, but I figured I would come here for any last minute ideas on how I could fix all this. Thanks guys!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 49 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

SwampRunner