It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 00:48
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

FishonFabrications

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: SS PROP VS ALUMINUM
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2016, 14:30 

onthewater102 wrote:
That's a little insane that you get those speeds out of a 1648 with the 20hp...I barely get 28 with my 1436 and just me in it. I did all my decking out of lightweight fiberglass & with the motor & TM removed my brother and I can still pick my boat up & carry it, so I know it's not that heavy. Do you have any decking in the 1648 or is it a bare hull? Also, were you the first owner of the motor or is it possible you've got the 25hp carb already courtesy of a prior owner? I gave you the pics of the two carbs - if you're certain you've got the 20hp I think I've got some more tuning to do, though I don't see how b/c it runs beautifully from idle right up to WOT even in the dead of winter.

Well 1st off my boat will plane much faster and better than a 1436 due to the planning surface being wider,that's just science.I have had a 1236/1436/1442/1542 and now a 1648 and out of all the boats this 1648 gets up on plane in a blink of an eye.I have a fiber glass floor.I got that stuff from home depot,it's like pvc board,won't rot,stain,break,etc......It's fairly light,it probably adds near 100lbs to the boat give or take a bit.I was running me at 300lbs,friend at 200lbs,boat is 320lbs,motor is 115lbs,plus full tank of gas (6 gal),a small cooler,plus the floor at near 100lbs,so i'm probably over 1000lbs total weight.This is why i don't want to get rid of this outboard,it has just some insane,crazy power and imagine what a 25hp carb will do.All speeds were taken like 20 times by gps because i couldn't even believe what kind of speeds i was getting.With the 1000lb load i was near 28.5mph constantly,with just me in the boat and nothing else i was at near 30 to 31mph give or take a mph going with the wind or against it and it was porpoising so bad i had to put my 150qt cooler in the front and add near 150lbs of blocks i had at my house and that stopped it finally.Like i said i have 2 gps's and i'm telling you the speeds are accurate but insane.I just bought a brand new 13 pitch prop so we will see how that does.The one i have on there now is in good shape but i want it as a back up.

I have the 20hp carb also,here is the pictures.

20160623_134411.jpg
20160623_134343.jpg

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2016, 14:31 

Sorry they are sideways.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2016, 14:52 

Man, you are right... that is straight screaming with a hell of a load. Do you know what your LU gear ratio is?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2016, 16:09 

I have had both and for what its worth here is my input.

While I like the durability of SS I have damaged one beyond repair. Now I just run a quality aluminum and keep a spare . Still less invested than a quality SS prop and you have a spare on board in case you spin a hub or snap a blade. As mentioned it easier on the lower unit to run aluminum as well.

This is not what everyone should od. but its what I do.

Post subject: Re: SS PROP VS ALUMINUM
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2016, 16:24 

scoobeb wrote:
onthewater102 wrote:
That's a little insane that you get those speeds out of a 1648 with the 20hp...I barely get 28 with my 1436 and just me in it. I did all my decking out of lightweight fiberglass & with the motor & TM removed my brother and I can still pick my boat up & carry it, so I know it's not that heavy. Do you have any decking in the 1648 or is it a bare hull? Also, were you the first owner of the motor or is it possible you've got the 25hp carb already courtesy of a prior owner? I gave you the pics of the two carbs - if you're certain you've got the 20hp I think I've got some more tuning to do, though I don't see how b/c it runs beautifully from idle right up to WOT even in the dead of winter.

Well 1st off my boat will plane much faster and better than a 1436 due to the planning surface being wider,that's just science.I have had a 1236/1436/1442/1542 and now a 1648 and out of all the boats this 1648 gets up on plane in a blink of an eye.I have a fiber glass floor.I got that stuff from home depot,it's like pvc board,won't rot,stain,break,etc......It's fairly light,it probably adds near 100lbs to the boat give or take a bit.I was running me at 300lbs,friend at 200lbs,boat is 320lbs,motor is 115lbs,plus full tank of gas (6 gal),a small cooler,plus the floor at near 100lbs,so i'm probably over 1000lbs total weight.This is why i don't want to get rid of this outboard,it has just some insane,crazy power and imagine what a 25hp carb will do.All speeds were taken like 20 times by gps because i couldn't even believe what kind of speeds i was getting.With the 1000lb load i was near 28.5mph constantly,with just me in the boat and nothing else i was at near 30 to 31mph give or take a mph going with the wind or against it and it was porpoising so bad i had to put my 150qt cooler in the front and add near 150lbs of blocks i had at my house and that stopped it finally.Like i said i have 2 gps's and i'm telling you the speeds are accurate but insane.I just bought a brand new 13 pitch prop so we will see how that does.The one i have on there now is in good shape but i want it as a back up.

I have the 20hp carb also,here is the pictures.

Maybe somebody put the wrong stickers on it- and it's a 40!

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2016, 16:54 

Yeah I wasn't comparing time to get on plane between a 1436 and a 1648 but once on plane I should be lighter and displacing less water with less contact surface area & all other things equal should if anything have a slightly higher top speed due to less resistance to the prop making the slip ever so slightly less...if nothing else the same top speed. :-( I guess perhaps my through hull side imaging transducer is really making that much drag. But sorry - didn't mean to hijack your thread...

That's definitely the same 20hp carb throat. I would hold off on the new 13P prop b/c if you're getting full RPM's out of your motor with the 20hp setup you'll be able to turn a more aggressive prop (14p or maybe even a 15p) with a 25hp @ the same RPM.

1985 Bass Tracker III - restoration posting coming soon w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp 2-Stroke & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v shared w/ my 14'

The way people should be

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2016, 16:56 

If you're not the original owner perhaps someone repitched the prop - that's also a possibility - you might already be running a more aggressive pitch & as the power output sounds sufficient to get it to full rated RPM's @ WOT. You'll know if you try the new 13P and go slower.

1985 Bass Tracker III - restoration posting coming soon w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp 2-Stroke & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v shared w/ my 14'

The way people should be

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2016, 17:38 

I have used the same prop twice believe it or not. The 02 25hp I have has the same original prop on it,same numbers and I switched them out and got exactly the same speed. I was thinking of going to a 14 pitch prop but I thought my hole shot would suffer some even know it gets on plane I mean instantly. The lower unit ratio is possibly what's having me be able to get this speed,it's 2.25 which is an awesome LU gear ratio imo. Funny thing is both mercs have the original props on them,the 93 I have has all of 25hrs of use since new,the old man who owned it used it for like a yr here in fl and passed away and it sat in storage for a very long time,near most of it's life,the guy I got it from was his son like 22yrs later,how crazy is that??? The 02 merc has 3hrs of use,never had a tank of gas ran through it yet and it sat for near 14yrs,it's like new except a few scratches ,I'm selling the 02 and keeping the 93 because I put a bunch of work into it,just maintenance stuff. It is I mean a sweet engine,both are so clean you can eat dinner off them,lol.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2016, 17:56 

I just ordered a new 13 pitch Solas aluminum prop and I'm going to use the one on it as a spare,I may get a 14 pitch when I swap carbs out in the fall,I may do it earlier but will see. My buddy has a brand new 20hp Tohatsu, he has the same boat as me and he gets on plane a bit faster than me with a 4stroke believe it or not,he's also carrying 600 lbs of weight compared to my over 1000lbs,now granted his 20hp is just that as mine is off a 25hp power head so a big difference, he can actually get me out of the hole but in seconds I'm blowing by him and he couldn't believe how fast I caught up to him because he was a good 15ft ahead of me. I was totally impressed with the torque of that 20hp 4stroke Tohatsu, blew my mind. I have owned a new 20hp 4stroke suzuki as well and the torque on that motor is insane as well for a 4stroke. Keep in mind though,my buddy is running a 10 pitch prop so he should get me out of the hole because I'm running 3 sizes bigger but he was just amazed at how much power my 20 had to catch him. I was two. I get on plane in seconds,he gets on plane in like micro seconds if their is such thing,lol. These 4strokes are starting to compete a bit on power with the 2 strokes in amazement. Good to know our future for 4 strokes looks bright.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2016, 12:55 

I'd say that an aluminum prop on a 20 hp is NOT flexing when under power. I'd also say that the only time a stainless prop really makes ANY sense at all is on a much bigger motor, used in deep enough water to avoid hitting anything with the prop OR in saltwater. If you hit anything with the stainless prop, especially when running a 20 hp with a 1/2" driveshaft, you will severely mess up your drive shaft, whereas the aluminum prop will bend or break, which is a much cheaper fix than a new driveshaft.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 12:08 

I just went with a new aluminum prop and i will use the original one as a spare.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2