It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 02:32
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

akmccallumco

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 6 of 8 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2012, 23:31 

Hello,
I'm new to this small boat madness and after finding this site I know I'm heading down a long road.
I just picked up a Traveler an-12 I think its a 1959 model. First I don't know how the hull shape is classed and how much it can be modded.
It's 12 ft with a 30 in width at the bottom flaring to 44 in at the top.
Any help or ideas?

smboat.jpg

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2012, 12:45 

Don't deck it just add a flat floor and go fishing a 30" bottom will be tippy with decking

And :WELCOME:

Project "A Little Snookered" viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22132

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2012, 21:14 

That was my thought after reading this thread. I would like to add 2 seats that are elevated off the benches. Might go with carpet covered plywood that extends across the back bench to the transom for storage.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 17:38 

good post!!!

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 10:05 

screwballl wrote:
I think it all depends on the boat.

For 36" and skinnier at the base (including v-hulls), I would not deck any higher than the lowest bench, and even then only deck the very front and back, not the entire length. Full length is only recommended for 1442 and wider/longer.

On my 1436, my wood frame will be level with the top of the bench, with 5/8" plywood on top of that for the front deck. Then 1/2" plywood "floating" on top of rubber padding for the floor, not planning to screw that down for ease of cleaning.

I have a 1436 also, where did you put your battery and tank? From what I have seen on mine, there will not be enough clearance in front of the front bench to put the battery there. This is where it is now but the deck that is on it sticks up above the bench...as far as the gas tank, its in the back in front of the transom, its a 6gal tank and is too big IMO. I could go smaller I guess but lose the extra 3gal of gas :cry: I plan to redo the deck and floor as soon as funds become ready. Not really worried about the flooring, its the deck I will need the most help with, what size wood to use as a frame, should I use wood or just let the deck "Sit" against the sides, what size wood to use for the deck itself, things like that...

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 18:48 

Why would anyone want to use 2x4s in a boat to me is a joke. I have been building and refitting boats for over 30 years an have never used a 2x4 in anything and wont. If you need that much crap in a boat just get a bigger boat. Here in Fla. If your boat capsizes on any lake or waterway the Fish & wildlife or and the Coast Guard will by law have to do a report. If your boat is as ya'll call MODIFIED we call refit and it sinks or worst of all someone gets hurt. YOU ARE IN DEEP you know what. You will get the fine and probably go rite to jail. The fines are unreal.... thousands of dollars plus the accident WILL go on your drivers record as points. Your insurance will JUMP and if someone is hurt you will face some jail time. I am a Master seaman and it would go as a suspension on my masters license.
I would like to see the forum encourage anyone getting ready to MODIFY any boat check with their state Fish and Wildlife folk as to the laws that pertain to boat MODs. You may want to use the 2x4s on your porch in stead.( your wife will be happy )
On the other side if you don't like to stand on the bottom of your boat "too flimsy" to fish from lay a sheet of plywood in the bottom and stand on it. It will keep the weight low and you can float on it when you sink Tahee
Remember Skinny Boats are for Skinny water. That's why you don't stand up in a canoe unless ya wana get wet.
Food for thought now how do i put that disclaimer on the end?
LOVE dis forum

File comment: on the Swannee
NEMO.jpg
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 22:00 

1236 Alumacraft 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke. I added a aluminum deck and its very stable for me. I fly fish in small creeks, ponds, and rivers. Fun build and boat

My projects:
viewtopic.php?t=35475
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37014&p=377207#p377207
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=29584
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28957
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=325296

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 21:25 

Great thread! Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2013, 13:13 

About to buy a 16' flat bottom all welded jon. I want to put a deck on but not sure if its too narrow. I'm going to look at it this weekend. Here are some pics any input would be greatly appreciated. The guy says its 45" across the floor so I think it's fine however it seem to have pretty straight sides don't know how much difference that makes.

image.jpg
image.jpg

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2013, 16:22 

Focobassslayer wrote:
About to buy a 16' flat bottom all welded jon. I want to put a deck on but not sure if its too narrow. I'm going to look at it this weekend. Here are some pics any input would be greatly appreciated. The guy says its 45" across the floor so I think it's fine however it seem to have pretty straight sides don't know how much difference that makes.

That is a good candidate for removable flat decks that are just plywood sheets that are tightly fit to set on top of the bracing. I wouldn't be putting in a raised deck because of the balance but a flat deck would add a lower center of gravity from the weight and still give you level ground to stand on.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 13:41 

So is the balance a problem because of how straight the sides are

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 20:18 

It's not necessarily the straight sides its more the actual width of the boat and honestly Jon boats will never be overly stable regardless but low center of gravity helps

It's just like my 14' V-Hull Mirrocraft, if the weight is all up high even though its a really wide boat it's still unstable. I can't take my boat out without someone else anyways because of my back but when I do I always pack the weight low and even. They will be more stable with more weight to a certain point.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2013, 23:15 

this is my 1436,i put the deck at the top of bench seat,dont want to go any higher,it worked good on the test run

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 08:13 

I have had the pleasure of fishing out of a grossly overdecked narrow jonboat. A friend had decked the entire hull on a 12/36 w heavy plywood, flush w the top and added tall pedistal seats too. This boat was dangerously overloaded and unstable but very "exciting" to fish tandem. Powered by a rear trolling motor the boat would lean to the outside in a turn and could be capsized just by turning to hard/fast! While fishing, any sudden movement like casting hard or setting a hook any direction but bow/stern would cause the boat to tip ALOT and we had great fun tipping the boat on purpose to "enhance" or "help" each others fishing technique and never a dull moment. There was alot of cursing and laughing all day and we did catch some fish aboard the floating log. He came to his senses and removed the deck after 2 summers.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 11:14 

The great thing about this site is that it is a "melting pot" of information provided by folks who have "been there and done that" as far an information pertaining to "tin boats".

I recently became a "first time" owner of a jon boat. Its a G3 1436, and I have already mildly modified it to better suit my needs. Being that it is only 36", I will not deck it. I have, however, installed flooring, which keeps me off the ribs, makes standing (with care) doable and more comfortable, and quiets my movements down. I filled in the spaces between the ribs with closed-cell "blue" insulation. I used 1/2" plywood coated with marine varnish on both sides, then covered with indoor/outdoor carpet both stapled and adhered with contact cement. Here are several photos.

First, I did secure the front flooring using angle brackets to ensure it didn't come flying out while trailering down the highway.

The rear flooring is friction fit and isn't going anywhere, especially with gear loaded on top.

Thats enough for me on this boat. The lower the weight on a light, narrow jon like this, the better.

Page 6 of 8 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next