Decking-When and when not to.

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
teeeroy

Post by teeeroy »

Very cool!

I was thinking that - if I were to do an outrigger-type design - that I could somehow extend the front deck frame through the plywood to create attachment points for removal outriggers. Having some sort of pivot at those points would allow the outriggers to swing up for outboard transport. Or I could somehow just detach them and place them in the boat while underway.

Believe me, I would just buy a longer, wider boat if it wasn't for our club's 12' minimum boat limit. And, I just bought a brand new Alumacraft 1232 (they don't sell the 36's here). So that is what I have to work with.

Interesting, though.

KyMonArker

Post by KyMonArker »

Hey Yall! Another newbie here!
My Monark is 44 in wide at the bottom and 65 in at the top. the rear of the boat is actually decked above the top rail.
I was wondering if I could get any input on raising the front deck about 4inches from the top of original deck it would still leave me about 5 inches from the top rails. The plus is I could have a rod box and a plenty of storage. Id def fill the Voids with 2 part foam.

Any harm with framing this thing with Lumber. Id love to use aluminum but I dont know where to even start with the welding.
Also How would I attach the seat mount plate aside from stacking and laminating 2x10s and putting bolts all the way through to the original mounting holes?

Any input would be appreciated!!

Mods I searched and searched but couldnt find anything about my set up and Decided to post it here. I hope I didnt post in the wrong thread.

Thanks, Scott

P.S.-
Ill have some pics posted later today!
I have No idea What the Hell Im doing!! But, Its Fun!!!

danmyersmn

Post by danmyersmn »

you can frame with lumber, many have. You can also frame with aluminum. Use rivets not welding and your good to go.
LEFT is right! The reel handle is properly oriented when it is on the left side.

KyMonArker

Post by KyMonArker »

When you raise the front deck, Lets say 7 inches. How do you anchor the seat post mount plate so its solid? and I dont pull a classic Bill Dance Back flip into the water, when I set my hook??!!

Thanks, Scott

danmyersmn

Post by danmyersmn »

KyMonArker wrote:When you raise the front deck, Lets say 7 inches. How do you anchor the seat post mount plate so its solid? and I dont pull a classic Bill Dance Back flip into the water, when I set my hook??!!

Thanks, Scott
I think you are asking this question with the the assumption that the deck is fastened to the boat, yes? If so, then use toggle bolts to fasten the post base to the deck.
LEFT is right! The reel handle is properly oriented when it is on the left side.

KyMonArker

Post by KyMonArker »

I just didnt think the toggle bolts would be stout enough. I just have a problem with over thinking, and over building stuff.

Thanks!

SVOMike86

Post by SVOMike86 »

Hey guys, a couple posts back, someone said use rivets, don't weld aluminum braces for decking... Why is that? I'd rather weld mine.

smoody

Post by smoody »

SVOMike86 wrote:Hey guys, a couple posts back, someone said use rivets, don't weld aluminum braces for decking... Why is that? I'd rather weld mine.
The rivets will flex a bit with the water and weight, welds do not and if they are weak they break. Airplanes are riveted for that reason.

King Rat

Post by King Rat »

ober51 wrote:Great post and replies. I think we can make this the ultimate, "Should I deck this boat?" thread and add some pictures to illustrate.
I have a ouachita 1432,1962 will post pics later ,but after reading
all about narrow boats and tipping I decided to deck mine low to the floor.

CHILLWILLATX

Post by CHILLWILLATX »

This duracraft is less than 40 across the bottom - 48 on top with sloped sides.... 14 ft long. Prob close to 36-38 on bottom - with the front deck it seems to be ok with out being to tippsy- You have to be wise on feet placement but I wouldn't knock decking a boat close to 40. Just as long as your feet aren't made of lead and you have the sloped sides.
Attachments
B7.JPG
B7.JPG (31.57 KiB) Viewed 5545 times
In Texas we have a word for Sushi: BAIT.

SWAMP THANG PROJECT
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=13527

Hydrilla

Post by Hydrilla »

Now that I've beeen using my decked 1436 extensively all Spring, I feel like I can comment here. My boat isn't decked to the top, but I do have a front casting deck on top of the bench seats. At first it would scare me to move around in it, but with a little bit of time, it got a lot easier. Now I don't even think about it. I don't use a seat in the front, and I can stand and bass fish all day long with no issues, including hooksets on jigs and Texas rigs.

A couple of things to note, however. Adding a second person, especially someone over 200 lbs (I'm right at 200 myself), can make things a little interesting, especially if they aren't used to standing up and fishing in a boat. I can fish with my wife who is a lot smaller than me and we have no problems. I spend a lot of time fishing with just my dog, and that's ideal as well.

The other thing is the size of the lake. I started getting frustrated trying to fish big lakes, and as the pleasure boaters started coming out, it became clear that it was a safety issue, not just a coordination thing. Deck or no deck, I don't think a 1436 can safely run in a big lake with a lot of boat traffic. I have a number of 1000 acre lakes and smaller near me that are excellent fisheries, have speed limits and don't allow jetskis and such. When I stick to those, I really don't even feel the need to upgrade my boat like I was starting to think, in frustration.

So in summary, like others have said, buy the most boat you are able to that will meet your needs.
Attachments
boat and trailer.jpg

hwew

Post by hwew »

My Alumacraft Crappie Jon Jr. is not bad with my self in it. But you get another adult in it you both better not lean over to far on the same side.

Henry

Froggy

Post by Froggy »

I honestly got to say, I am not comfortable standing im my1236, its not really safe, I am 225lbs, can fish sitting or just standing up from the bench, but I wont walk around, no way.

Pruitt1222

Post by Pruitt1222 »

My boat is a 1438 with the rear deck on the ribs and the front deck raised 4 inchs off the ribs or 6 inchs from the floor. By myself I can walk around and stand and fish with out thinking about it unless the water is very rough or lots of other boat wake is present. Add my Father or FIL and I can still stand and fish, Add my wife or daughter and I have to take a seat or swim. My FIL has a decked 1436 lowe that is decked on top of the benches, I like all his storage but we tend to take my boat for some reason. :) Its could be mine is more stable or he hates running the trolling motor. I think its about time for a upgrade honestly.
Attachments
I only raised the front to make it level.
I only raised the front to make it level.
Just a little over 6 inches
Just a little over 6 inches

Sinker

Post by Sinker »

What's your opinion on this 1542? I'm 5'9 and 200lbs, do you think this would pretty stable as configured for small waters?

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 3AIT#v4-36
Attachments
1542.jpg
"I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be in another world; but still I am not what I once used to be, and by the grace of God I am what I am"
— John Newton