Do you own, or consider owning a jump starter?

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
LDUBS

Post by LDUBS » 14 Nov 2019, 12:21

Kinda sorta related. Last thing I want is to show up at the ramp with a dead battery. Do they make some kind of trickle charger from the car to the trailer/boat battery? So, the battery would get some charge, if needed, whilst towing the boat to the ramp. Not sure I"m explaining this well.

Anyway, if they don't, one of you guys should run with it and make some dough. Just share some royalties with Rich and me! :LOL2:
Have Rod - Will Fish

richg99

Post by richg99 » 14 Nov 2019, 13:24

I've thought of the same thing. Doing some reading, it sounded like the small amount of added juice in a short time drive wouldn't justify messing with your car's electrical system. All sorts of warnings about over-drawing the cars power system told me to leave it alone. My boat is kept about a mile from home. I often go and plug the charger in the night before an outing. Coupled with the above mentioned chargers..and jumper cables..should be enough.

uttexas

Post by uttexas » 14 Nov 2019, 15:29

I have multiple:
The Viking from Harbor Freight--got it on sale/with coupon for cheap--it works as long as the battery being jumped isn't completely drained
A smaller Everstart Lithium, and the large Everstart with tire inflator.

Also have two older Black and Decker portable power stations.

If you do a good job of charging the jump starter batteries once a month, they last a long time.
Very useful for road trips, tire inflation, and charging other devices like hand held marine radios, etc.

red91sit

Post by red91sit » 16 Nov 2019, 22:04

I've found these are very helpful, but typically the damage is done by the time you need them. In my experience, I keep a spare car around my house, as I hate worrying that one car will break and I'll have to buy a replacement ASAP. The problem with this was the battery in spare car would drain while sitting for months/years. I could jump it, but the battery was damaged from overly deep cycling. I tried one of those solar battery maintainers, and now the spare car is all charged up and ready to go whenever I need it. Might get one for the boat to power little accessories with the motors off.

(I'm fairly close to the tropic of cancer line, so your experiences may vary)

LDUBS

Post by LDUBS » 16 Nov 2019, 23:13

richg99 wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 13:24
I've thought of the same thing. Doing some reading, it sounded like the small amount of added juice in a short time drive wouldn't justify messing with your car's electrical system. All sorts of warnings about over-drawing the cars power system told me to leave it alone. My boat is kept about a mile from home. I often go and plug the charger in the night before an outing. Coupled with the above mentioned chargers..and jumper cables..should be enough.
Thanks Rich, that makes a lot of sense. One of these jump starters, not to mention the emergency pull rope, is a lot cheaper than messing with my vehicle's electrical system.
Have Rod - Will Fish

gnappi

Post by gnappi » 22 Nov 2019, 17:21

I have a big Schumacher. It has everything in it but a can opener... Inverter, USB charger, work light, 12 volt appliance couplings, air pump, oh, the jump starter too :-)

It was silly expensive but it's bailed me out more than once and I helped friends out with it also.

I WILL NOT use my car to jump start anyone. I did once and the dead car fried my alternator and everything upstream from it. I think possibly the dead car alternator had shorted diodes sending lots of AC up the wires? Dunno but never again.

With the jump starter I don't have to be a di@k and refuse to jump someone.

Oh, for camping and times I'm away from the grid I built an 80 watt solar battery charger :-) It's a bit more than a trickle charger and could easily be pressed into service whilst towing a boat, or in a vessel / vehicle in storage, useful only on sunny days of course.

https://ibb.co/mzq5VgM
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

gnappi

Post by gnappi » 22 Nov 2019, 17:36

LDUBS wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 12:21
Kinda sorta related. Last thing I want is to show up at the ramp with a dead battery. Do they make some kind of trickle charger from the car to the trailer/boat battery? So, the battery would get some charge, if needed, whilst towing the boat to the ramp. Not sure I"m explaining this well.

Anyway, if they don't, one of you guys should run with it and make some dough. Just share some royalties with Rich and me! :LOL2:
I wonder if you could scavenge 12 volts from the trailer light connection. Put a fuse in line and viola.
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

LDUBS

Post by LDUBS » 26 Nov 2019, 00:01

gnappi wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 17:36
LDUBS wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 12:21

I wonder if you could scavenge 12 volts from the trailer light connection. Put a fuse in line and viola.
Thanks Gnappi. That almost seems too easy. Lol. I have to admit I am fairly ignorant of these kinds of things. Anyway, as Rich suggested above, I think I'm going to stick with the jump starter and not risk messing up my wiring.
Have Rod - Will Fish

BigTerp
Donor

Post by BigTerp » 26 Nov 2019, 10:46

With most travel trailers you are able to charge the batteries through the 7 prong trailer wiring connection. On my truck ('07 F-150) there was a specific relay you needed to pop into the fuse panel of the truck to accomplish this. I would run the refrigerator while towing on 12V power, and the charge from the truck kept the refrigerator from draining the batteries. I wouldn't think it would take much to wire up boat batteries to accept a charge from the tow vehicle through the trailer plug. How much of a charge you get from that, I'm not sure. But I doubt it's a ton.
BigTerp's Tracker Sportsman 16' build-------> http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=26774

richg99

Post by richg99 » 26 Nov 2019, 11:03

Thanks, Big Terp.

You know, the RV guys have some of the same issues that boat-towers do. We probably ought to follow a few RV sites to pick up some ideas.

LDUBS

Post by LDUBS » 26 Nov 2019, 11:30

My RAM has both a 4 and a 7 pin connector. I currently use the 4 pin plug. After reading Big Terp's comment I checked the owner's manual. Sure enough, pin #1 on the 7 pin connector is for the battery.

I still think I am better off leaving well enough alone. But, nice to know in case I change my mind in the future.
Have Rod - Will Fish

gnappi

Post by gnappi » 26 Nov 2019, 11:40

I used that power pin on the hitch coupling to give me power in my camper top.
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

gotmuddy

Post by gotmuddy » 03 Dec 2019, 13:59

I have had a (overpriced) matco jump starter for over 4 years. It has never let me down, and I dont go on a trip without it. They are still sold under the original manufacturer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antigravity-XP ... 3482539692

jeffh129

Post by jeffh129 » 06 Dec 2019, 18:01

I keep one on both my pontoon and fishing boats, and have needed it once. In the winter I carry them in my cars.