3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
cricketchaser
Posts: 11
Joined: 21 Sep 2019, 15:57

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by cricketchaser » 21 Oct 2019, 01:57

What do you guys recommend?

Weldorthemagnificent
Posts: 778
Joined: 12 Mar 2017, 12:09

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by Weldorthemagnificent » 21 Oct 2019, 07:44

My rule of thumb is a gallon per hour per 10hp at WOT. So a 3 gallon would roughly give you 2 hours at wide open throttle.
Unfortunately the 3 gal tanks aren't half the price of a 6.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk


hipster dufus
Posts: 242
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 12:24
Location: monroe ga

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by hipster dufus » 21 Oct 2019, 07:54

had a 30 hp tohatsu 4 stroke. came with a 6 gal tank. took up too much room. went to a 3 gallon and never looked back. actually never used the 6 gallon. motor used very little gas . so, all u need is the 3

maintenanceguy
Posts: 105
Joined: 12 Dec 2018, 21:18
Location: South Jersey

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by maintenanceguy » 21 Oct 2019, 13:42

Rule of thumb is HP/10 = GPH burned. This assumes you're at planing speed. It's surprisingly accurate for my boat.

I have a 6 gallon tank and usually carry a second 5 gallon gas can to refill the main tank if needed. Hipster said he ditched the 6 gal tank for a 3 gallon. He feels comfortable with 3 gallons, I want at least 10 gallons. So it depends on how far you plan to go.

turbotodd
Posts: 1167
Joined: 24 Dec 2011, 22:06
Location: 72032

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by turbotodd » 21 Oct 2019, 15:05

Depends on how far you plan on going.

3 gal with a 15hp 4 stroke is going to net you about 1.5-1.8 GPH on average. With that, you can run about 2 hours on a 3 gal tank. If your boat goes 20 mph, that's 40 miles (give or take).

I can tell you from my own experience that a 25hp (I know we're not talking about a 25...used as an example only), running 2 hours straight at full throttle with a tiller steered outboard is a LONG time. Most of the places around here have a ramp somewhere else that can put you closer to your "hole". I've done it and after a long run like that, your arm is tired from steering and throttling, and I ain't in no mood to fish after a run like that. For runs like that I'd just as soon get a larger boat with a console steer and more power/speed.

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2560
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by LDUBS » 21 Oct 2019, 21:03

I also ran a 25 HP on a 15' boat with a 3 gallon tank. While I trolled for hours and never ran it empty, it was always in the back of my mind. On larger lakes I had a spare gallon just in case. So, I guess if it were me and I had the room I would opt for the larger tank.

PS: I guess one nice thing about the 3 gal tank is I cycled gaso through it so fast that I never had to worry about it going bad.
Have Rod - Will Fish

turbotodd
Posts: 1167
Joined: 24 Dec 2011, 22:06
Location: 72032

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by turbotodd » 22 Oct 2019, 17:14

LDUBS wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 21:03


PS: I guess one nice thing about the 3 gal tank is I cycled gaso through it so fast that I never had to worry about it going bad.

That is a VERY important consideration

User avatar
thedude
Posts: 340
Joined: 22 Feb 2018, 21:36

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by thedude » 22 Oct 2019, 22:17

I would go 3 gal. Condensation is your enemy so no matter which size you choose try to keep it full.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk


hipster dufus
Posts: 242
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 12:24
Location: monroe ga

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by hipster dufus » 27 Oct 2019, 08:38

i ran a 30 hp tohatsu efi 4 stroke on my 1648 mv. tiller. for a single day outing i never used up a 3 gal tank. when i went on a multiple day trip i would take an extra 2 gallons. my 30 used very little gas, i cant stress that enough. some of my multi day trips i would go 60 miles w 3 guys. if u can u also put in at ramps closer to where u want to fish. the other great thing as stated above is u dont worry about ethanol w a 3 gal tank. u can use it in ur vehicles if u cant get out for an extended time. gas never goes bad.when i had 3 guys in my boat , which i often did on multi day trips, i would use more gas. never ever worried about going dry,w a 30 hp.heck u can throw an extra 1 gal tank in the boat and take up less room then a 6 gal.

User avatar
Riverdog
Posts: 160
Joined: 04 Feb 2015, 22:50
Location: Hutto, TX

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by Riverdog » 27 Oct 2019, 15:13

LDUBS wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 21:03
I also ran a 25 HP on a 15' boat with a 3 gallon tank. While I trolled for hours and never ran it empty, it was always in the back of my mind. On larger lakes I had a spare gallon just in case. So, I guess if it were me and I had the room I would opt for the larger tank.

PS: I guess one nice thing about the 3 gal tank is I cycled gaso through it so fast that I never had to worry about it going bad.
That's exactly what I did on my 12ft jon. Always carried a spare gallon can. Never needed it, but it was only a 5.5 hp.

I now use the 3 gallon as a spare on my 1751 blazer with a 60/40.

As stated before you cycle through gas. Another benefit is the weight.

Hear is the 3 gallon I have had since 2012.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/scepter ... fuel-tank/
2013 1752 Blazer SS Mercury 60/40


Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky

Image

User avatar
1960 yellowboat
Posts: 199
Joined: 24 Apr 2019, 08:04
Location: Homosassa Florida

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by 1960 yellowboat » 27 Oct 2019, 15:20

Riverdog wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 15:13
LDUBS wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 21:03
I also ran a 25 HP on a 15' boat with a 3 gallon tank. While I trolled for hours and never ran it empty, it was always in the back of my mind. On larger lakes I had a spare gallon just in case. So, I guess if it were me and I had the room I would opt for the larger tank.

PS: I guess one nice thing about the 3 gal tank is I cycled gaso through it so fast that I never had to worry about it going bad.
That's exactly what I did on my 12ft jon. Always carried a spare gallon can. Never needed it, but it was only a 5.5 hp.

I now use the 3 gallon as a spare on my 1751 blazer with a 60/40.

As stated before you cycle through gas. Another benefit is the weight.

Hear is the 3 gallon I have had since 2012.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/scepter ... fuel-tank/
here's my 3 gal tank for my 1955 evinrude 15 hp
Attachments
100_0199.JPG

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2560
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by LDUBS » 27 Oct 2019, 16:53

1960 yellowboat wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 15:20
Riverdog wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 15:13
LDUBS wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 21:03
I also ran a 25 HP on a 15' boat with a 3 gallon tank. While I trolled for hours and never ran it empty, it was always in the back of my mind. On larger lakes I had a spare gallon just in case. So, I guess if it were me and I had the room I would opt for the larger tank.

PS: I guess one nice thing about the 3 gal tank is I cycled gaso through it so fast that I never had to worry about it going bad.
That's exactly what I did on my 12ft jon. Always carried a spare gallon can. Never needed it, but it was only a 5.5 hp.

I now use the 3 gallon as a spare on my 1751 blazer with a 60/40.

As stated before you cycle through gas. Another benefit is the weight.

Hear is the 3 gallon I have had since 2012.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/scepter ... fuel-tank/
here's my 3 gal tank for my 1955 evinrude 15 hp

I had that same Scepter brand 3 gallon tank.

Weight is another benefit for sure. I currently have a 12 gallon "portable" tank. It never leaves the boat.
Have Rod - Will Fish

User avatar
RiverLife
Posts: 77
Joined: 30 May 2015, 15:52

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by RiverLife » 14 Nov 2019, 08:02

I would go three gallon for sure. Both boats I've owned had six and gas would get condensation and never came close to burning even a gallon on an outing. Three would be better for weight, room, and keeping it fresh. Old boat was a 15hp 2 smoke and new one is a 25 efi 4 stroke. The 4 stroke is insane. It is such a miser on fuel I wouldn't feel bad shoving off with only three gallons anywhere.
"Fish On!"

User avatar
jasper60103
Posts: 1226
Joined: 02 Jul 2009, 07:39
Location: Twin Cities, MN.

3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by jasper60103 » 18 Nov 2019, 15:12

RiverLife wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 08:02
I would go three gallon for sure. Both boats I've owned had six and gas would get condensation and never came close to burning even a gallon on an outing. Three would be better for weight, room, and keeping it fresh. Old boat was a 15hp 2 smoke and new one is a 25 efi 4 stroke. The 4 stroke is insane. It is such a miser on fuel I wouldn't feel bad shoving off with only three gallons anywhere.
Agreed. I have a 30 HP efi 4 stroke. Came with a 6 gallon tank, but I could easily run all day long on 3 gallons.
That thing sips gas, and much quieter than my old 30hp Johnny.
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

Weldorthemagnificent
Posts: 778
Joined: 12 Mar 2017, 12:09

Re: 3 gal or 6 gal tank for 15hp 4 stroke?

Post by Weldorthemagnificent » 20 Nov 2019, 08:34

jasper60103 wrote:
RiverLife wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 08:02
I would go three gallon for sure. Both boats I've owned had six and gas would get condensation and never came close to burning even a gallon on an outing. Three would be better for weight, room, and keeping it fresh. Old boat was a 15hp 2 smoke and new one is a 25 efi 4 stroke. The 4 stroke is insane. It is such a miser on fuel I wouldn't feel bad shoving off with only three gallons anywhere.
Agreed. I have a 30 HP efi 4 stroke. Came with a 6 gallon tank, but I could easily run all day long on 3 gallons.
That thing sips gas, and much quieter than my old 30hp Johnny.
How do you find it power wise compared to the old johnny? I realize that 30hp is 30hp, just curious if the new motors have some hidden jam.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk


Post Reply