It is currently 24 Oct 2018, 01:24
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

eaglelodgemaine

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 7 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 21:14 

I just picked up a motor for my project Polar Kraft(14' 250lbs).. 1960 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp.. Nice balance of weight to power.. Should push me and mine across the water just fine.. and I can lift it on and off by myself when ever I want.. My Sports Kraft cruiser had a 1972 50hp Johnson on it.. Man she would move, but sat really low in the water.. I'll be looking for a better, lighter motor for that one soon.. thinking a 30-35hp maybe.. Dont under estimate those old motors..

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 21:50 

Stan the man wrote:
I just picked up a motor for my project Polar Kraft(14' 250lbs).. 1960 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp.. Nice balance of weight to power.. Should push me and mine across the water just fine.. and I can lift it on and off by myself when ever I want.. My Sports Kraft cruiser had a 1972 50hp Johnson on it.. Man she would move, but sat really low in the water.. I'll be looking for a better, lighter motor for that one soon.. thinking a 30-35hp maybe.. Dont under estimate those old motors..

NICE !! I have a 1958 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp. motor that came on my 14 ft. Arkansas Traveler twin cockpit.. it was on it when I bought it but I haven't tried to run it yet.. I used to have a 14ft Aluminum MirroCraft with a 1972 Johnson 20 hp. on it and it went along very nice in the water !! the Mercury Mark 75 60hp. was on a 1957 14ft. Fiberglass Speed Queen Run About twin cockpit that was somewhat over 300lbs. he said it flew along quite well and had plenty of power !! I'm thinking more about this one then the 80 hp.. and its about 50 lbs. lighter.. but still about 50 lbs. heaver then the 40hp. Mark 55..

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 22:22 

I wouldn’t get rid of that 40 just yet but that 60 at 178. That’s the same as a modern 40! Definitely worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 22:30 

Saw a similar boat on the river recently. I love it! I want one too! Wonder how difficult it would be to rig up a modern motor to all the steering mechanisms

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 07:10 

captain belly wrote:
Saw a similar boat on the river recently. I love it! I want one too! Wonder how difficult it would be to rig up a modern motor to all the steering mechanisms

Thank you ! Hmmm... I don't know.. I haven't looked into modern motors... I have been thinking more inline with period correct motors and the Mercury motors I like the looks of more then most.. although the big twin Johnsons and Evinrudes from that time frame have a similar shape as the boat..

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 12:26 

Evinrude/Johnson, Mercury?? For me it came down to parts cost, and availability.. Interchangeability was another factor..

Stan

Capture.JPG

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 17:22 

Stan the man wrote:
Evinrude/Johnson, Mercury?? For me it came down to parts cost, and availability.. Interchangeability was another factor..

Stan

Stan, I can understand that.. your Evinrude looks nice !! should serve you well !! mine has the older style hood that is more rounded..

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 17:49 

Nice find! Very unique, I would love to own one. The Mahogany really is a nice touch. Eye turner for sure! =D>

Finger Lakes, NY

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 22:47 
Donor

You can't go wrong with a period correct engine. A 1957-58 Johnson/Evinrude 35hp would be a perfect engine on it. Built like tanks, easy to work on, all OEM service parts still readily available as well. Tons of parts availability. Plenty of power to allow you to carry a bit more load and still throttle back. A bit quieter than the Mercury engines of that time period as well. In 1958 the first of the "Super Quiet" engines came into production. The noise reduction alone was well worth the name given them. A pleasure to run that series and the Johnson was very cool looking.
You are not too far from one of the largest Antique outboard meets in the country. Located in Tomahawk Wi. the first week of August every year. If you cannon find an engine there you aren't looking. The meet takes over an old airport located beside a river. Great boating and swap meet. I go there from Florida to attend it!
Your boat would be an instant "hit" at this
meet.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2018, 10:18 

What he said...

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2018, 10:37 
Donor

Fine minds think alike. I was going to reference your RDS-20 Johnson and forgot to. Gorgeous, great running, and quiet operation.

Mine the day I got it running. On the back of my Alumacraft model K.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2018, 21:16 

Thank You Rags2Fishes !! I'm looking forward to getting started on this project .. I almost let this one slip by.. but with the encouragement from the fine folks here on Tin Boats I stepped up to the plate and went a head and bought it.. I'm very happy now that I did.. the windows were a concern but I have already located 3 out of the 4 so far !!

Pappy.. thanks for the great info !! I ended up buying that Mercury Mark 75 60hp. but I'll have to check into those Johnson/Evinrude motors.. I may just pick one up and see if its a better fit to the boat... I will check into that antique outboard meet .. I attended a small antique outboard swap meet a few weeks ago here in Michigan, but it rained and there wasn't much there.. although I did get some very good and helpful information from some of the attendees which made the trip well worth it !!

Shaugh thank you for the photo and you too Pappy.. now I know what they look like … do you know about how much those motors weigh ??

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2018, 21:30 
Donor

Super Quiet series is 138lb. Fuel tank is 13lb.
Standard series is 129lb.
Neither should phase your boat at all. Good luck with the Merc!

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 09:07 

Oldboat,
Looks are important, but the most critical thing Pappy mentioned is parts and reliability. Those big twin engines are absolutely bulletproof. With tons of parts and donor motors available. That I believe far outweighs the looks. They're a total pleasure to work on and keep running.

I've got that one and 2 others, that I got for a song, hanging in my garage just waiting to donate parts ...(or I might get another going some day...) You'll not likely find that with those Mercury motors.. Evinrude or Johnson...57 ,58, 59.... almost all the parts are completely interchangeable...

As far as looks go I think 58 Johnsons were the most iconic styling... Although Evinrude was doing fine in the mid 50's;
822574.jpg

Imagine how good this motor would have looked with a white lower....
dfeaf9cc7a226d85bc5d2c8e905caabf[1].jpg

But then drove it over a cliff in 59 with a motor that looks like a hillbilly pickup truck made from several other pickup trucks.... (Opinion may vary....)
001.jpg

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 17:53 

Shaugh wrote:
Oldboat,
Looks are important, but the most critical thing Pappy mentioned is parts and reliability. Those big twin engines are absolutely bulletproof. With tons of parts and donor motors available. That I believe far outweighs the looks. They're a total pleasure to work on and keep running.

I've got that one and 2 others, that I got for a song, hanging in my garage just waiting to donate parts ...(or I might get another going some day...) You'll not likely find that with those Mercury motors.. Evinrude or Johnson...57 ,58, 59.... almost all the parts are completely interchangeable...

As far as looks go I think 58 Johnsons were the most iconic styling... Although Evinrude was doing fine in the mid 50's;
822574.jpg

Imagine how good this motor would have looked with a white lower....
dfeaf9cc7a226d85bc5d2c8e905caabf[1].jpg

But then drove it over a cliff in 59 with a motor that looks like a hillbilly pickup truck made from several other pickup trucks.... (Opinion may vary....)
001.jpg

Thanks Shaugh and Pappy for the input.. I have a 1958 Evinrude that looks like the blue one in your photo but its the 18hp fastwin.. I really like that black and white Evinrude Lark motor and yes it would look better with a white lower unit !! I totally agree with you on that 59 Evinrude.. yuck .. I don't get some of the ugly designing on some of these motors... its just a hood why not give it a good look !!

Page 7 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next