It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 22:20
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

eaglelodgemaine

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 18 May 2018, 14:23 

I discovered http://crossborderpickups.ca can bring Fasco Steelflex up to Canada for me.

Fasco keeps saying to do 2 coats, so now I'm thinking a base coat of regular Steelflex and the the 2nd coat Super Slick to keep the cost down. Idk, I'm still debating it.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 18 May 2018, 14:26 

sej71 wrote:
RStewart wrote:
Gluvit works fine on aluminum boats. The guys that restore old aluminum boats on another site use it all the time. Unless it's going to be exposed to the sun UV rays aren't an issue. I've used steel flex and it's ok. I wasn't impressed by the pigment, it faded pretty quick. You must get every area that steel flex will touch prepped very good or it will come off. I know this first hand. I will use gluvit on the inside of the hull next time I redo my boat and will not be using the steel flex again. If you do use steel flex then you don't need any other type of sealant, same with gluvit. Either one will work but from what I've seen and experienced I'll choose gluvit next time.
Well I might need to go with the Gluvit after all, I'm up in Canada and can't find anyone who ships it here :( I'm waiting a few companies to get back to me but it's not looking good. My best chance seems to be a company on ebay buy they jack the price up quite a bit. I was leaning towards the Steelflex Super Slick. If I do 2 coats it looks like it'll cost me over $500 to get 2 gallons and pigment up here :(

Idk, that price is pretty crazy. I think I might either stay with the Gluvit or look into the G-flex.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

The other site I get on where I learned about gluvit has a lot of guys from Canada redoing old aluminum boats. Most of these guys restore old StarCraft boats and such. I would post it here but I'm not sure Jim would want me to post about another forum here. I don't think he would care but some site owners don't like it.

Sinner by birth...Saved by the Grace of GOD!!!

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2018, 08:20 

Priming Gluvit? Interesting question. I wouldn't have thought so, but just coated the bottom of an old Starcraft, and between coats, I noticed that where I had patched with Gluvit the coating would not take properly. Now I am in the middle of reworking the Gluvit area: first sand, then apply self etching primer. Then coating in the right color to match the rest of it (that's a long story there, just by itself, but nothing to do with Gluvit ) So YES, I would definitely sand and prime Gluvit before applying a coat.

I have had no such problems on the outside of the boat with the West products, which I also use.

Bottom line: Gluvit works best for me on the interior of my tinny's, and the west products on the exterior. Lessons learned the hard way.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2