Decking On Top of Benches

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
MrGiggles

Post by MrGiggles » 05 Aug 2017, 21:53

I've got a 14' Alumacraft F7. It's 50" wide in the rear.

It's got 3 full benches and a front step. I would love to open up the floor, but removing the middle bench opens up a whole new can of worms as far as structure goes, and I don't want to dig into that.

I'm thinking about just laying a deck across the front two benches and step. This would give me quite a bit of storage, and the ability to add a livewell, which I cannot do now without making the boat impossible to walk through. It's already cluttered enough now with one storage bin, a cooler, the gas tank, and battery.

I think the carpeted wood would also add quite a bit of sound dampening, which is very desirable to me, since moving around in the boat now is next to impossible without making a racket.

I can't help but wonder about the stability. I've stood on top of the benches in the water and it feels pretty stable.

There is also the option of adding a floor that's a few inches lower than the top of the benches, but I'm not sure how well that would work. Anyone done this before?

Xtremeboats
chevyrulz

Post by chevyrulz » 18 Aug 2017, 12:15

i did it with aluminnum & loved it

MrGiggles

Post by MrGiggles » 19 Aug 2017, 09:55

I've spent enough time in the boat now that I don't think going on top of the benches is going to be a good idea. It's just not stable enough, and I don't swim well.

I will probably do a floor that is 4-6 inches higher than the hull and fastened to the bottom of the benches, to make the boat easier to walk through and quieter.

beetlespin

Post by beetlespin » 19 Aug 2017, 14:00

Yup, 14 isn't big enough to deck up that high. My 14 Grizzly was stable but not that stable to where I would deck it. That and the extra weight wasn't going to be safe.

chevyrulz

Post by chevyrulz » 22 Aug 2017, 14:53

your call, i feel like the 1436 is already tippy whether i'm standing on the bench or the floor makes no difference, & that didn't change when i decked it.