It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 05:03
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

VinylImagesInc

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016, 15:49 

So yesterday I was working on one of my projects - a 1989 Bayliner Capri 1750. I have a set of replacement gauges that I scored online a while ago to replace the original gauges. Four of the six original gauges are in terrible shape (maybe 10% transparent) and two of them look brand new. I took out the old ones and set them aside. I need to fabricate adapters to reduce the two largest gauges (speedo and tach) which mount in a 4.25" hole down to 3-3/8" holes for the new gauges.

I was looking at the originals today and wondered if they could be saved. I have a headlight restoration kit that I've used a few times with good success. It's a Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer Kit that I bought a few years back at Walmart for $7 (up to 7.99 now). I tried the rubbing compound that comes in the kit - no luck. I then spent a whopping 5 minutes tops using the sanding sponges then cleaned it off with the included uv protectant wipe and I was very surprised. The gauge is actually usable again! If I spent a little longer I know it would have come out far better. Now I have to decide if I want the new gauges or reinstall the old ones.

Original:

foggy.jpg

Clear(er):

clear.jpg

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016, 16:33 

I tried in on the worst condition lens. it's better but not great. The plastic has a bunch of hair line fractures in the surface. I may try again with some fine sandpaper followed up by the headlight kit.

Original:

IMAG2486.jpg

Clear(er):

IMAG2487.jpg

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016, 19:52 

Wow, huge difference there.
I think I would try to use the original gauges as long as they work, that is unless you want to save them for down the road, then I would install the new ones using an adaptor, new gauges are always nice though!
Your call, as they say 6 of one, half dozen of the other, or maux nix; in other words, either way! :lol:

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 04:19 

If you really want to clean them up use sandpaper and wet sand them down to 2000-3000 grit sandpaper. Then use non-yellowing clearcoat and spray a couple of light coats on them. The lens will look better and better as you put more coats on them.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 07:22 

Don't use alcohol on plastic. Some types of plastic develop fractures and cracks. The polishing method looks great.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 19:12 

Back in the late '50s, I used to work on some of the old TVs for neighbors.

I found that I could take scratches off of the plastic tube covers by using toothpaste. Just another slightly abrasive compound.

I see that the technology has moved WAYYYY forward now.

Your job looks great. I love to see things restored.

richg99

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2016, 17:56 

overboard wrote:
Wow, huge difference there.
I think I would try to use the original gauges as long as they work, that is unless you want to save them for down the road, then I would install the new ones using an adaptor, new gauges are always nice though!
Your call, as they say 6 of one, half dozen of the other, or maux nix; in other words, either way!

I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I'm going to use the originals and save the other set (means I don't have to cut the ends and rewire all the gauges).

With about an hour or so of work I went from this:

to this:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by bobmwsc on 23 Oct 2016, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2016, 19:14 

Looks great :beer:

Project "A Little Snookered" viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22132

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 15:36 

Nice JOB!

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 23:23 

Fishfreek wrote:
Nice JOB!

Thanks... I just figured a quick $7 fix was better than shelling out a few hundred and having to rewire all the gauges. They came out better than I expected. I know that when I did my headlights they lasted for close to 2 years before needing a second application being subjected to the New England winters getting pelted with salt and sand. I figure these should last far longer only out in the summer sun and rain (when not covered).

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]