It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 17:34
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

BoatCoversDirect

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2016, 14:28 

Hi everyone, just want to start of by saying you guys have a great site here, I'm excited to dive in. So I I just picked up my first V-hull this week and I don't know what it is. Was hoping maybe someone could help and identify it.

Thanks!!

IMG_2058.JPG
IMG_2545.JPG
IMG_2491.JPG
IMG_2490.JPG

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2016, 01:18 

Can't really get a clear view of the boat from your pictures and probably wouldn't be too much help in identifying the manufacturer anyway. From the OBC capacity plate, I can say that the boat was manufactured before 1964. Anything built after 1972 would have a USCG capacity plate, but the OBC was rolled into the BIA (Boating Industry Association) in 1964, which later became the NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association).

Were there any other plates on the transom or VIN and manufacturer information on the trailer? That boat would be prior to the standardization of Hull Identification Numbers and may not even have one, but chances are if it had one you'd find the HIN on the transom. Sorry I can't be more help, but maybe someone else can pinpoint it for you.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2016, 07:37 

Side bench, oar locks, and shape of transom suggests Alumacraft. Post pictures of corner and knee braces at the transom and close-ups of oar locks to verify.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2016, 15:45 

enginerd wrote:
Can't really get a clear view of the boat from your pictures and probably wouldn't be too much help in identifying the manufacturer anyway. From the OBC capacity plate, I can say that the boat was manufactured before 1964. Anything built after 1972 would have a USCG capacity plate, but the OBC was rolled into the BIA (Boating Industry Association) in 1964, which later became the NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association).

Were there any other plates on the transom or VIN and manufacturer information on the trailer? That boat would be prior to the standardization of Hull Identification Numbers and may not even have one, but chances are if it had one you'd find the HIN on the transom. Sorry I can't be more help, but maybe someone else can pinpoint it for you.

Wow that's very interesting about the OBC, I had know idea that the boat was that old. Very cool! Unfortunately there aren't any other plates I can find. Thanks for taking a look I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2016, 15:48 

ericman wrote:
Side bench, oar locks, and shape of transom suggests Alumacraft. Post pictures of corner and knee braces at the transom and close-ups of oar locks to verify.

Thanks a lot, I'm gonna post more pictures later today. I think the side bench was put in by a previous owner but the front deck looks stock to me. Thanks for checking it out.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2016, 20:53 

In Wisconsin, I'd just call the DNR registry and talk very politely to the person there, asking if that person would check to see what the boat manufacturer's name is on the registration.

(If you are congenial and appreciative, you'd be amazed at how accommodating they can be. ['course, that's true of almost everyone.] But government clerks should get hazardous duty pay for all the abuse they get.)

Best wishes.

1955 Alumacraft Model A
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 08&start=0
1959 Alumacraft Model F
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25386
1980 Alumacraft Model F7, 1955-56? Johnson 10hp
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35326
1956 Alumacraft Model RB
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39249

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016, 20:03 

Hey guys, thanks again for all the help. I'm in CT, gonna try and go to the DMV and see what they say. I've been told by people that they won't give you any info but it's worth a shot. Will prolly only take three hrs of standing in line, lol.
I really like that the transom wood is easily acessable, some I've seen appear to have braces bolted to it and the boat with rivits. I do find it surprising the plug is in the bottom of the boat, has anyone seen this before?

Thanks, brian

File comment: The plug in the bottom of the boat.
IMG_2668.JPG
File comment: Oar locks
IMG_2700.JPG
File comment: Transom, notice the plug is in the bottom of the boat, thought that was strang.
IMG_2693.JPG

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2016, 17:49 

You might find it faster to call in the Morning and ask for the registration person. It would be a computer search anyway, and rather than standing in line, they can (or may choose not to) tell you right away. Less time wasted all around.

Best wishes. Looks like a neat old hull.

1955 Alumacraft Model A
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 08&start=0
1959 Alumacraft Model F
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25386
1980 Alumacraft Model F7, 1955-56? Johnson 10hp
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35326
1956 Alumacraft Model RB
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39249

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016, 08:06 

What do the corner plates look like?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016, 22:32 

Is this what you were referring to, ericman? Thanks for taking a look!

IMG_2832.PNG

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 17:06 

Can you get a pic looking at the corner plates from directly above them?

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 22:29 

Here you go Ericman! Thanks again. Can't seem to find any corner plates that look like these.

IMG_2901.JPG

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2016, 09:43 

I'm from Minnesota. The knee braces are not Alumacraft. The corner plates are not alumacraft, seaking, starcraft. The closest thing the corner plates resemble is Larson/Crestliner, but the knee braces are wrong. The knee braces resemble StarCraft and seaking. . . .but the corner plates are wrong (those all had handles) and the starcraft/seakings had the splash rail formed into the hull, not riveted to the hull. The transom and corner plates are definitely not Lund. Being that the knee braces resembled early seaking and StarCraft, I'm thinking deep south, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas. Any number of boat companies were probably buying knee braces and corner plates from outsourced suppliers. So look into LoneStar boats, Arkansas Traveler maybe?

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2016, 12:38 

Now I'm thinking Cadillac. Look through these.

http://www.wagemakerwolverineboats.com/ ... boats.html

Also look through this. Especially the corner plates, etc..

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-rep ... estoration

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 04:08 

sorry I haven't replied till now. With the holidays the boat got out on the back burner but now with spring coming I'm getting her cleaned up. Ericman it looks like you may be on to something. The corner plates match and the inside and lines look extremely close. When I get the cover off the boat in the nest few days I'll double check. I also plan on sanding off the old layers of paint. Hoping I find some markings as I'm doing so.

Brian

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]