It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 05:50
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Transom Top Lip
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 10:53 

Inherrited a Lowe 16 Superior-V a few weeks ago, and have been working on getting it back into shape.

Got some aftermarket foam blocks removed from the back that were totally waterlogged so I could get to the transom, and when I finally got it all apart, I found out the top lip is all torn up.

Here are some pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/UHooT

My thought was to install the new wood transom, and then get a sheet of aluminum shaped to fit over the old torn up lip, and maybe 5" down on either side, and through bolt it to the new transom.

Anyone see any problems with that? I've got a Johnson 20R73A 20 horse outboard for it, so it's not a huge motor.

Thanks for providing such an awesome resource.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 11:00 

I'd cut off the old cap and make a new one. It only has to come down an inch or so.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 11:15 

Would you have it welded on? or just through-bolt to the wood transom to hold it in place?

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 12:49 
Donor

brassyb wrote:
Would you have it welded on? or just through-bolt to the wood transom to hold it in place?

The original tin U-shaped channel trim cap was nailed on using aluminum ribbed nails. That would certainly work. When I redid my new transom, I used heavy wall 1-1/2" in the 'U' aluminum channel, bolted on w/ properly sealed and insulated SS bolts.

You should be able to get replacement aluminum ribbed nails from Starcraft customer support! Andy was phenomenal with the support he gave me when I went to replace not only the wood, but both the insode and complete outside tin skins.

#1) 1st tin rebuild, 18' Lund viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36583
#2) 25' Parker refurb from EMPTY hull http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB3/vie ... p?f=15&t=6
#3) 16' V-tin rebuild viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36465
#4 Procraft SV14
#5) 16' Starcraft entirely NEW Transom Skins viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37548

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]