It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 19:05
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

FishonFabrications

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2016, 08:57 

Take a quote out of context and you can twist it into whatever you want it to mean. I was referring to the relative weight of the framing, where you can save enough weight in a single span of the boat by using 1/8" aluminum angle vs. wood that you can add a full cubic foot of foam and still have saved weight.

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2016, 11:18 

Not trying to argue here. Really... or to take your quote out of context.

I'm simply saying that adding weight in wood to a lightweight boat only increases its weight on land and ON the water.. it makes it effectively lighter IN the water.

If you were to completely fill one hull with aluminum, and another hull with wood of the same weight, the wooden one would float, the aluminum one would sink.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2016, 06:01 

How did you attach carpet to aluminum?
Looks great!

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2016, 21:12 

I used outdoor carpet glue. Working great so far.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 22:58 

You can go even thinner on the aluminum decking. I used the stuff in-between 1/8in and 1/16in(can't remember the exact number). I used diamond plate so this could potential make it stronger(not really sure?). I think 1/8in. is good to be safe but if you build a solid frame you can use thinner. I used 3/4in aluminum square tubing for my frame for the casting deck(I believe its 1/16in thick). It holds up just fine with a buddy and I up front. The only place I used 1/8in angle are the bottom supports. The only thing I wish that I did different on my deck is that I should of riveted everything. I never used rivets and didn't really trust them when I built the deck. I now use rivets for everything.
IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 07:20 

Why use lumber for bracing if using plywood for decking??? Use AL angle. A lot of times when I come on this forum it seems to me that people are always using way more than they need to. 3/4" plywood will support an elephant for crying out loud, 1/2" is more than enough. 3/8" AL, man come on are you trying to make the thing bullet proof. :) Anyway don't over do it. A little bracing might be, might be, necessary if you have a large deck but, usually there will be a hole for access and bracing will be necessary anyway. Use the AL angle for bracing and 1/2" ply for decking, yes AL is better but, I kind of like the ply because it helps to quiet the boat down, I epoxied my wood which is costly but it will last for a long long time. I also don't like carpet so I added non skid and it is done. I do need to put some non skid vinyl or something on my seats though they get hot as heck in the sun. Have fun and customize your rig the way you want it, just don't over do it, keep it simple.

Oh yea, wood needs to be sealed on both sides, not just the top side. And edges too.

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2