It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 18:02
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2016, 18:28 

If you ask the seller(s) the HIN numbers, you will know. The last two digits are the year they were made.

You might get lucky with an owner on here of that brand, but, even if he/she owns one, the manufacture year might be hard to determine without some more facts. richg99

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 00:48 

richg99 wrote:
Understand what the HIN number tells you. The last two digits are normally designating the year of manufacture.

Just for clarification sake, this statement is true of boats built after 1-November-1972, which would seem to include the two boats you posted. HINs before that date were not standardized and varied by manufacturer. If you do look at an older boat, you can find HIN guides for many of the more popular brands online.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 01:05 

Guess I hope and expect that there aren't too many boats around that are older than 44 years...but...you are totally correct. 1972 is the key.

richg99

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 04:33 

All of the advice above is great and could be a sticky for future buyer's looking for a new to them boat. I especially liked the adice bringing bill of sales forms along with any paperwork needed for registering in your county.
I would sort by prices area CL ads to get an idea of what is being offered. You will want to focus on how long and wide of boat you will be looking for. Obviously more room and stability will be on your mind if you start out too small.
I would look at specs for older boats and factor in max HP, weight limitations, etc. And consider will you want a tiller or steering wheel. Many people use their semi v as a topper, and launch their boats without a trailer. You could even poll the users on this forum as to how many boats they've owned and what they liked or did not like with what they had or have now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 12:19 

richg99 wrote:
Guess I hope and expect that there aren't too many boats around that are older than 44 years...richg99

What can I say, I like old boats.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 19:16 

enginerd wrote:
richg99 wrote:
Guess I hope and expect that there aren't too many boats around that are older than 44 years...richg99

What can I say, I like old boats.

One of my boats is 45 the other is 48.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 20:11 

Well, they say older boats catch more fish.... Or something like that.

Ha Ha rich

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2