It is currently 21 Jul 2018, 16:54
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 23:40 

I suspect that 90% of any work that I did on my boat(s) over the years were inside of the boat itself.

I never thought to do anything else other than leave it on the trailer, inside of my garage ( damn HOA). I keep front and back garage doors open, and I often add a fan or two directed at the area in which I need to do the work.

I do put a full size 6 or 8 foot step ladder on one side. I haul a lot of tools to the boat before even starting, but I am always crawling back off and on to get something else.

I also bring a light or two, since inevitably, I will be working under the console or someplace that is dark.

Having a cooperative wife nearby (shouting distance ) to hold/grab/fetch something is invaluable. A nice dinner out is only fair for your friendly helper!

richg99

Karl Pearson"

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 08:21 

I hoist mine into position comfortable for me. I let gravity and a pressure washer do scrubbing. For applying paint remover, scraping, washing this was awesome.

EMAILIMG_4043.JPG
August 2015IMG_2709.JPG

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2016, 08:43 
Donor

Suburban development living doesn't allow me to have a nice outbuilding like that. Boy, that would be nice.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2016, 07:48 

HOA as well. I had to leave mine on the trailer. Since my garage is a recording studio I had to work in the driveway or take it to work and park it in the warehouse over weekends. I was lucky to have the work option. Going to do my hubs saturday in the warehouse!

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2016, 07:59 

weweber3 wrote:
Suburban development living doesn't allow me to have a nice outbuilding like that. Boy, that would be nice.

I hear that, after 40 years of living in the country my wife decided we should live in a HOA community ... sure do miss my old barn !

2001 16' Lund 25 Yamaha ... SOLD
various sailboats

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2016, 10:20 
Donor

fishmonger wrote:
weweber3 wrote:

I hear that, after 40 years of living in the country my wife decided we should live in a HOA community ... sure do miss my old barn !

I miss mine too and never had one. Lucky thing too :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 00:56 

I think I'm kind of stating the obvious, but what the heck. I assume your boat is relatively light. If you work on the inside with the boat on the trailer it is a really good idea to hook the trailer to your tow vehicle, or place a brace from the ground to the transom. If you don't, make sure you stay forward of the trailer axle.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2016, 08:29 

I had problems coming up with ideas for this too. What I did was take 3 long 2x4's and then attach 2 smaller ones on top on the edges, kinda making a "V" shape for the keel to sit in. I then just laid a few towels down in the center. Put one in the back, one in the middle, and then one in the front (modified it a bit as mine is a deep V). Works great for stepping in and out of and you can adjust accordingly.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 15:34 

Just finished up an aluminum bass boat rig yesterday. Had to put 4 batteries, 12 gal tank, on board charger and a ton of wiring back under the rear compartment and there's no easy way to get into the front of it to gain access either on or off the trailer. At first I just climbed in there, feet sticking out of the back of the boat and did what I could. Then as I got out of it for the umpteenth time, I realized that I could use the creeper to get in there better. It worked excellent. Topside creeper that is.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200360239

That link is similar to the one I have.

I do have a jet ski dolly outside that would work pretty good for moving a boat around in the shop though. Maybe even in the yard. It's not very long so you'd have to balance it, but it'd work great to slide the boat off the trailer and then work on the trailer, or boat.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 17:03 

"a jet ski dolly"

You are one lucky guy! It would be great to have some of the nice tools that I see on these pages. Guess I am stuck with a step ladder (to get in and out). My old bones will just have to bend for a while longer.

Richg99

Karl Pearson"

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2