It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 04:47
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

akmccallumco

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Jon Boat Paint
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 22:40 

Joined: 10 Apr 2012, 20:28
Posts: 32
I am going to start prepping my boat for paint this weekend.
What is the proper paint to use? I want to paint the boat the "Duck Boat" color.
I was going to use this brand paint from Home Depot (Duralux marine paint)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Duralux-Mari ... 128261-_-N

But, read on the reviews that it scratches easily? Also read color is more a military vehicle desert tan color?
Have any of you used this brand?
What brand would you recommend?
Also, the paint I was looking at says it is a "Durable, water resistant alkyd enamel"... Is a alkyd enamel the proper paint I should be using?

Thanks again...


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Jon Boat Paint
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 23:05 

Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 12:14
Posts: 4143
Location: Algonquin Il
Parker duck boat paint. Cabelas carries it.



_________________
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Jon Boat Paint
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 07:00 

Joined: 21 Jul 2011, 10:31
Posts: 1093
Location: palmerton pa.
I used Duralux "dead grass green" on mine, that particular color is more of a tan than green, that may have been the color you mentioned that looks like a desert tan, I like it you may not.
I'm happy with it, I would think any paint will scratch, and don't know if a hardener could be added to possibly make it more durable.


001.JPG
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Jon Boat Paint
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 19:41 
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2016, 18:46
Posts: 161
Location: Central Illinois
I used Duralux Marine Paint Model # M736-1 1-gal. Aluminum Boat Green Marine Enamel from Home Depot on my boat. The only issues I have had with it is where my straps hold the boat to the trailer, it wears the paint to bare aluminum. I figure any paint would wear if it was under straps tho.

If you chose this paint, I would suggest not using a cheap roller, it will eat it away. I have a thread with my boat and shows the paint job.

Let us know what you went with and how it worked for you.



_________________
1979 MirroCraft F4604
1967 Johnson MQ13 9.5 Hp
1974 Evinrude 25452M 25 Hp

Life member of the LGOPPs
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jon Boat Paint
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 20:00 

Joined: 10 Aug 2015, 20:07
Posts: 167
Location: Virginia
overboard wrote:
I used Duralux "dead grass green" on mine, that particular color is more of a tan than green, that may have been the color you mentioned that looks like a desert tan, I like it you may not.
I'm happy with it, I would think any paint will scratch, and don't know if a hardener could be added to possibly make it more durable.

Thanks for sharing this. I really like that color and instead of parker paint I'm going with this.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Jon Boat Paint
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 21:14 

Joined: 10 Apr 2012, 20:28
Posts: 32
FormerParatrooper wrote:
I used Duralux Marine Paint Model # M736-1 1-gal. Aluminum Boat Green Marine Enamel from Home Depot on my boat. The only issues I have had with it is where my straps hold the boat to the trailer, it wears the paint to bare aluminum. I figure any paint would wear if it was under straps tho.

If you chose this paint, I would suggest not using a cheap roller, it will eat it away. I have a thread with my boat and shows the paint job.

Let us know what you went with and how it worked for you.


I will be spraying the paint with my spray gun... Do you need to thin the Duralux paint?
If so, what thinner is recommended?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Jon Boat Paint
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 23:10 
Donor
User avatar

Joined: 02 Mar 2014, 19:52
Posts: 3193
Location: Central FLORIDA - The Sunshine State -
Read, Understand and Follow the instructions on the label
of any products you may use........
Instructions and Safety Procedures are there for a reason.



_________________
http://www.tinboats.net/how-to-build-a-transom/
http://www.tinboats.net/varnish-vs-polyurethane/
All about Primers = http://www.tinboats.net/primer-and-paint-basics/
Paint, Thinners and Applications = http://www.paintingforpainters.com/

1959 Crestliner Commodore 14'
1959 Lone Star Malibu 14'
1958 Johnson 35 RDE-19 Sea Horse
1958 Johnson 35 RDS-20 Super Sea Horse
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Jon Boat Paint
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2016, 18:40 
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2016, 18:46
Posts: 161
Location: Central Illinois
68rs327 wrote:
FormerParatrooper wrote:
I used Duralux Marine Paint Model # M736-1 1-gal. Aluminum Boat Green Marine Enamel from Home Depot on my boat. The only issues I have had with it is where my straps hold the boat to the trailer, it wears the paint to bare aluminum. I figure any paint would wear if it was under straps tho.

If you chose this paint, I would suggest not using a cheap roller, it will eat it away. I have a thread with my boat and shows the paint job.

Let us know what you went with and how it worked for you.


I will be spraying the paint with my spray gun... Do you need to thin the Duralux paint?
If so, what thinner is recommended?


I am not sure about a thinner for spraying, I just rolled mine. Still came out decent.



_________________
1979 MirroCraft F4604
1967 Johnson MQ13 9.5 Hp
1974 Evinrude 25452M 25 Hp

Life member of the LGOPPs
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 75 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

akmccallumco