It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 18:37
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

VinylImagesInc

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 11:40 

Looking at a 2013 Tracker Pro 165 w/40hp Mercury. The boat has been used in combination fresh and salt water. Original owner says he flushes the motor, and washes the boat after each use. Boat looks to be in great shape from the pictures and i plan on driving over an hour to have a look tomorrow. Is there anything I should look for when purchasing a boat that was used in salt water? I only plan to fish fresh water in the future and this will be my second tracker.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 18:00 

Check the trailer for bad spots due to salt, and the wiring on both trailer and in the boat.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 11:31 
Donor

Look under the cowling well, see if he'll let you pop the thermostat pocket bolts (have some Permatex gasket sealer on hand). Look for any white spots, etc. Regardless of fresh OR saltwster running, CONFIRM WHEN (by receipts if you can) that both the impeller AND thermostat were changed.

But if it makes you feel better, I've been boating on brackish/saltwater estiaries for 50+ years and have not only never flushed a motor, less at the end of the season, but with regular maintenance to the impeller & t-stats, we've never had any issues. FWIW my brothers and I would run anywhere up to 11 OBs per season and my boat club has another dozen I help maintain. We don't have in-season access to hose water, but sure ... we'd backflush as said at end of season or whenever we had the opportunity.

#1) 1st tin rebuild, 18' Lund viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36583
#2) 25' Parker refurb from EMPTY hull http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB3/vie ... p?f=15&t=6
#3) 16' V-tin rebuild viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36465
#4 Procraft SV14
#5) 16' Starcraft entirely NEW Transom Skins viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37548

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]