It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 13:22
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Wired2fish

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: The Navionics phone app.
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 13:28 

sure thing

and if you were not aware of it, once you download a map its yours forever even if you do not renew the yearly membership. you can still use the program and the maps you downloaded

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=40127

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 15:32 

perchjerker wrote:
and if you were not aware of it, once you download a map its yours forever even if you do not renew the yearly membership. you can still use the program and the maps you downloaded

Do you have to download the NOAA charts through the program or can you download them on your own? I haven't downloaded the app yet, but plan to and will definitely fiddle with it to see if it's possible.

All the NOAA ENCs can be downloaded for free from the NOAA website, which is great for those operating in more heavily trafficked coastal areas. However, as onthewater102 noted, recent coverage in inland lakes and shallow areas can be either outdated or non-existent. I do a lot of boating at Lake Powell, which has no official government charts, and recently purchased the Navionics Western Lakes chart for use on my Lowrance Elite-7; I'm very impressed with it, but would not rely on it as my sole means of navigation...nothing takes the place of keeping your eyes peeled and using common sense.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 15:56 

they are not actual NOAA charts.

They are Navonics proprietary charts based on NOAA data and other data they provide

You have to download them through their program

and no, you should not use this for navigation purposes.

Every chartplotter I have ever used has a popup stating this disclaimer on startup

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 11:48 

Thought I would add some feedback on the Navionics phone app.

I've had the app for about 4-5 months now and have not really used it much until this week. I also have a Navionics card for the fish finder/gps on my boat. The card is only a few weeks old and was updated online at the time of purchase.

I just spent the week up at Caddo Lake in East Texas and got a chance to use the app. The first evening there I used the phone app while in the cabin to layout a plan of attack for the next morning, selecting all the deep holes I wanted to fish. The next morning I jumped in the boat and started marking way points based on the phone app locations. I noticed that there were more deep holes showing on the phone app than were on the Navionics Card in the GPS. I set the way points anyhow and motored to each of the locations only to find that the phone app was completely wrong and the card was correct. Not sure what the deal is but I even tried updating the phone app with no change.

I am going to send an email to Navionics if I can find an email address for support to see if they can help with this mystery.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the two for bodies of water in your areas?

Rob

Edit: I have the Navionics+ with subscription installed on the phone app so it gets updates and has community edits.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 14:49 

Pretty interesting. Awaiting what you learn. Thanks for posting. richg99

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 09:05 

it may depend on the particular map and the data they have on it. I would think that the data from the phone app and the map card would come from the same source but who knows.

I just took a look at a lake by my cabin, the phone app and the paper map I have are just about identical.

I do have the Navionics map on my chartplotter on my big boat but its at the cabin and I am at home so I cant compare it to the others right now

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 09:09 

Catch Release Repeat wrote:
So I found this app about two weeks ago and thought wow what a deal. So I downloaded it, was very impressed, downloaded it on my iPad mini and bought an awesome ram mount to for my console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyway you can share photos of your mounting configuration and where you got it ?
I use this app religiously on my phone and my iPad mini and I want to ram mount the iPad at the dash as well. Thanks.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 12:43 

This is the iPad mini with a life proof case and life proof mount it's locks it in PERFECT. I decided to go that route Bc the reviews for the ram iPad holder weren't great, but it uses a ram base and arm. If that makes sense. I'll get more pics later.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 13:12 

Catch Release Repeat wrote:

This is the iPad mini with a life proof case and life proof mount it's locks it in PERFECT. I decided to go that route Bc the reviews for the ram iPad holder weren't great, but it uses a ram base and arm. If that makes sense. I'll get more pics later.

That's awesome !! Thanks so much. I don't think I have the life proof case , pretty sure it's the defender series Image
Thought about taking this middle prop section out and screwing it to a RAM base
The iPad is dang near impossible to get out of that thing once it's locked in.
Thanks so much !!

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2